Can't get tractor out of 4 wheel drive

Help Support CattleToday:

cowperson

Reaction score
It"s John Deere 6210 tractor and can't get it out of 4 wheel drive. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

cowperson":1a5zi5q2 said:
It"s John Deere 6210 tractor and can't get it out of 4 wheel drive. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
does this one have an electric activator on the 4wd, if it does you may have a blown fuse,or bad contacts on the switch or the activator may be out or it maybe unplugged
I am not sure on that machine but some of them worked when you flipped the switch it took power away from the actuator and that engaged the 4wd others needed electricity to engage the 4wd

I would check all wires and connections first and fuses first

Can't say how a JD works but on a New Holland there is a little solenoid that can go out on you. Sometimes water will find its way into the housing and short this out. If its shorted, it will stay in 4wd all the time. Very easy to fix. I suspect if its not a fuse it will be this. You can locate it by following a wire tube up under the tractor. Its directly beneath the seat on the underside of the tractor. 4 screws and the cover is removed. If you remove the cover and there is water in the box you can remedy this seepage by putting a little sylicone on the mouth of the wire tube. Takes about 15 minutes to fix.

Thanks, everybody. I did check the fuses and they are okay. The switch is harder to move now than before. I will check to see if there is water in the box or if the pin is broken. If the switch has to be replaced how hard is that? I am not very mechanically inclined but I do have the manual.

Hi everyone I know it has been a while but I thought I would let you know that the wires had come disconnected and that was what was wrong with the 4 wheel drive. Thanks everyone.

Good to hear you fixed the problem.

I find it frustrating reading forums, where someone has a problem, several fixes are offered up, and the original poster never "ends" the discussion by telling everyone what happened, and what fix worked for them.

Thanks again for letting us know. :clap:

cowperson":3rq7k5ri said:
Hi everyone I know it has been a while but I thought I would let you know that the wires had come disconnected and that was what was wrong with the 4 wheel drive. Thanks everyone.

Glad you figured it out and posted back. Don't know how a JD is but if it is anything like a New Holland you might try a little preventative measure. If there are wires which run through a metal tube to the magnetic switch box - a little silicone placed where the wires first enter the tube will prevent water from getting in the box and could save you some trouble.

Latest posts