Can't find cubes or cakes.

Help Support CattleToday:

Cheyenne

Reaction score
Were do y'all get your cubes and cakes I keep reading about. I have check our local chain farm stores and can't find any cattle treats. I haven't checked with our local co-op yet. What are some brands, Purina, Land-o-Lakes?

I got a 600 lb bull calf yesterday that I need to bribe. He hasn't shown any signs of aggression yet, but is timid still. I need to be able to get up close and personal with him eventually, so I thought maybe some cubes or cakes might work. If I can't find any I will try using some sweet feed. But would like something that will be just a small treat. As always any help is greatly appreciated.

You can 14% range cubes at Tractor Supply. I went to a 34% high energy cube which I buy in 50 pound bags at the feed dealer. Only give it to them 1-2 times a week.

eric":35vw2d5g said:
You can 14% range cubes at Tractor Supply. I went to a 34% high energy cube which I buy in 50 pound bags at the feed dealer. Only give it to them 1-2 times a week.

What advantage do you find to a 34% cube? How are they getting the protien urea?

Thanks Eric, I forgot about our TSC I will check with them. I don't plan on feeding cubes, just want something a little extra special to treat him with. With the feed we use, he doesn't need a protein boost.

Thanks again for the help.

Caustic Burno":2lmvy5ee said:
eric":2lmvy5ee said:

What advantage do you find to a 34% cube? How are they getting the protien urea?

I have never heard of a range with over 20% protein. Is the 34% crude or digestible protein?

Mine are Land O Lakes, 14% Breeder range cubes. West river it is called cake, this side cubes. I get 'em at the elevator.

We use Evergreen 20% cubes for treats & training. In winter, supplement hay/grass with the cubes.

Evergreen is about only act in town in our neck of woods. Lot of trace minerals in it too. We're currently paying $4.95 for 50# bag.

Not sure about the protein urea Caustic, most of the supplements they need they are recieving from the mineral I would assume, but then they are'nt really eating much of the minerals nowadays, with the green grass and such. I use the cubes mostly as a way of calling them up when I want to give them a good look over if I havent been out in the pasture for a few days.

MikeC...looking at my reciept as I type this and all it says is 34% high energy cubes. I will grab a bag tonight and get the exact ingriedients if you'd like them.

TSC in our area sells Bluebonnet breeder cubes. I don't remember if they are 20% or 21%. One or the other. I have bought them and used them. If you buy 20 bags or more they will give you a discount. I buy from my local coop. They are 20% and they are about .90 per bag cheaper than TSC.

Thanks everyone for your help. I will stop at our TSC before I go home tonight and see what they have. If that doesn't work I will check with our co-op on Monday. Thanks again for the quick responses.

Cheyenne

I cannot believe I am about to suggest this - I am sure it goes against the cake crowd.

Why not just get some rolled oats - cows love it and it is cheap like borscht.

Or for that matter some whole oats - bin run is fine - no number one required here.

Or some bin run corn.

Wanna' splurge? Grab a bag of dairy ration - never seen a cow that did not like it.

Bez

You may have trouble finding range cubes way up there... when we lived in northern Illinois there wasn't a dealer anywhere that carried them. Had to get south of the Oklahoma line to find them!

Must be a southern thing... :cboy:

Careful on the excess protein, if your are gonna keep this calf as a breeding bull. To much protein can lead to excess hoof growth. By the way Caustic, if you can find cubes from a cottonseed meal they will be in the 30 to 35 percent range

houstoncutter":168vhctw said:
Careful on the excess protein, if your are gonna keep this calf as a breeding bull. To much protein can lead to excess hoof growth. By the way Caustic, if you can find cubes from a cottonseed meal they will be in the 30 to 35 percent range

I have always been under the impression that an imbalance of "Starch" or "Carbohydrates" and "Fiber" was the underlying factor in Laminitis, which in turn causes excessive hoof growth and foundering.
Are you saying a "low protein" diet will prevent Laminitis?

Range cubes are hard to find here also. We just get a few bags of alfalfa cubes for treats. Other wise it's grain to call 'em up and lead them somewhere. Ear corn also.