Canoe Trip

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Wasn't too bad of a trip. Great scenery. Had some trouble with sudden wind gusts that pushed the canoes in the shore.
A few kids needed a paddle across the backside to get them moving to get things done.
The site is acting funny so it will take me awhile to download all the pics I want to share. No I will not post all 248 of them. :D

canoetrip043.jpg

canoetrip060.jpg

Up at the tepee rings looking east

canoetrip065.jpg

Horned toad the kids found

canoetrip079.jpg

A sandstone cliff

canoetrip085.jpg

How tall that cliff is

canoetrip091.jpg

Face in the cliff

canoetrip103.jpg

My son with the cat fish he caught

canoetrip118.jpg

White Cliffs on the Missouri. We camped across from them the first night.

canoetrip129.jpg

Where the Eye of the Needle used to be

canoetrip165.jpg

I believe they called this the Great Natural Wall

canoetrip169.jpg

Eagle Butte

canoetrip192.jpg

Citadel Rock

canoetrip200.jpg

Hole in the Wall. The kids hiked up to it, I didn't.

canoetrip276.jpg

Bald Eagle on the last day.
We paddled 16 miles the first day, 22 the next and 12 the last day. We were all pretty beat. 6 adults and 20 kids. What a trip.

Good photos---Y'all found a real baby Horny Toad!! It's been 40 or more years since I saw one!
Looks like a fun trip..

Beautiful pics ILH, gorgeous scenery. Sounds like it was a fabulous adventure one you all will remember forever.

Spectacular scenery! We've taken canoe trips down the little rivers of the Ozarks, and it's pretty scenery, but those cliffs and bluffs are so dramatic. I'll bet those kids will always remember the trip.

I'm glad you were able to do that. I'll tell you what, the worst fight me and the ex hub ever got into was on a canoe trip. I'm from Texas. We don't canoe. We float on tubes and party barges and bass boats. About a day into the Au Sable and I was ready to go home. It rained, We slept under the dam canoe, it was miserable and I had never canoed before. This was the equivalent of taking me skiing for the first time and then plopping me down on the black slope. I have not been near a canoe since. Can't pay me to do it. That's what I get for marrying a Michigander.

Lammie":3tgpk8g1 said:
I'm glad you were able to do that. I'll tell you what, the worst fight me and the ex hub ever got into was on a canoe trip. I'm from Texas. We don't canoe. We float on tubes and party barges and bass boats. About a day into the Au Sable and I was ready to go home. It rained, We slept under the dam canoe, it was miserable and I had never canoed before. This was the equivalent of taking me skiing for the first time and then plopping me down on the black slope. I have not been near a canoe since. Can't pay me to do it. That's what I get for marrying a Michigander.
Just got to get rid of those fixed ideas :D

Lammie we did hit a couple of fast areas where we were going 6mph. A tail wind helped a lot too. We just really had to paddle in the slow areas. That last day we were really moving.
Get a good paddle partner and you could move.
First day I mainly did all of the work, my partner just went through the motions. Second day I had a couple of different partners that could paddle pretty good. Last day ended up right behind the lead canoe.

I did learn to not put sunblock on your forehead if your wearing contacts. At about mile 6 from the end of the second day I had to take my contacts out because my eyes were burning so bad, in the canoe no less. :lol2:

the kids did learn not to try to scare the adults with ghost stories because we have better one. :D :lol2:

I luv herfrds":2hiemjjg said:
the kids did learn not to try to scare the adults with ghost stories because we have better one. :D :lol2:

That cracked me up ILH! Beautiful country, great pics, thanks for sharing them. They reminded me a lot of my trip to Medora earlier this summer.

Lammie":2hiemjjg said:

Ah Lammie, I have spent a fair amount of time in the canoe, it's not so bad....now that part about sending you down the black diamond first time on skis.....well, I kinda "get" that ex part then! :eek:

Misty if I knew the story the teacher was going to tell I would have left the camp fire sooner, snuck up behind the kids and jumped out of the bushes at the end. :lol2: :lol2: They would have peed in their pants. If I go again next year I plan to take a tape recording of someone playing the piano and play it out in the sage brush behind them. :lol2:
The teacher's story was about a ghost playing a piano in an old house we passed that day. It sure got those kids nervous.

The kids were telling some pretty gory stories so payback is fair. :lol2:

No idea Jo. Just know that we could stick a paddle in the water clear up past the handle and not touch the river bed.

I luv herfrds":2tcy3a9q said:
No idea Jo. Just know that we could stick a paddle in the water clear up past the handle and not touch the river bed.

I thinking swan dive but width of the river makes it doubtful.

That free flowing area of the Missouri is some beautiful country. I was just down river from you in the breaks on the North side. Some pretty wild country out there. :cowboy:

Lammie":1iyfoup0 said:
But Lammie, the AuSable is beautiful!!! BUT I do have to agree with you canoeing is not my thing either! I lived at Houghton Lake for many years and summertime on the sand bars is a bunch of fun. Pontoons and boats anchored around them enjoying cold beverages.... Yup, I am thinkin you just may have gotten the wrong Michigander.... Thats okay I did too!

Latest posts