Canning

Help Support CattleToday:

We did okra, beans, creamed corn and a few jars of pickles back a few months ago. We froze, some with the fruit too. We enjoy a lot of soups and chowder so most produce gets used as we pick it.

We did okra, beans, creamed corn and a few jars of pickles back a few months ago. We froze, some with the fruit too. We enjoy a lot of soups and chowder so most produce gets used as we pick it.
When the Covid panic hit last year we had people coming from out of town, out of the county and out of state stripping the shelves in the grocery store where I work. During the canning season last summer we were not able to get any of the canning supplies we normally carry. Four to six weeks ago we started getting in lids and some jars again. The lids disappear pretty fast and it isn't even close to canning season here.

We aren't sure when actual canning season for supplies is around here so we've been buying when we see stuff. Haven't even planted to garden yet but have been canning a fair amount doing test batches trying recipes we are going to want to do when the garden does start producing.
Just made beef broth today to can stew with. Have a butcher coming up so trying to clean out the freezer to make room anyways.

When the Covid panic hit last year we had people coming from out of town, out of the county and out of state stripping the shelves in the grocery store where I work. During the canning season last summer we were not able to get any of the canning supplies we normally carry. Four to six weeks ago we started getting in lids and some jars again. The lids disappear pretty fast and it isn't even close to canning season here.

We lost all of our belongings last March in the TN tornados, (already tornado season again). We were offered a place to stay at the neighbors until we rebuild. They are an elderly couple, they slowed thier gardening to almost a halt. So we helped plant the gardens for them. The knowledge they have, combined with our willingness to learn, we had a great bounty for weeks. We were also handed the supplies that they don't use anymore. They have a son but he lives out of state so I promised to pass them along to him when the time comes. The beans are purple hull from when she got married 60yrs ago. It was the wedding gift that keeps on giving. Talk about non gmo....lol She has been planting the same okra seeds for almost 20..... corn from the co-op and the fruit was from our orchard. I take care of them as my own parents since my mother passed years ago and my father moved to Florida. I will always be in debt to them for the generous living arrangements, and knowledge they supplied us with since we moved here just a few years ago.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Humans cope, its what we do. We were all ok so, stuff can be replaced.

The house is in the works, will be a great year!

20yr anniversary, 50thbd for my wife and I, new house, logger lined up for fall etc

Still looking for a replacement truck for my wife and have to replace the animal barn.

Then back to normal..... Blessed.

Attachments

• received_2839300419635456.jpeg
    received_2839300419635456.jpeg
    410.3 KB · Views: 10
Has anyone tried the 1 piece lids ? They were all that I could find in regular mouth around here last Summer , tried a couple dozen and lost a few tomatoes. Any idea of what I could have done wrong ?

I didn't know the 1 piece lids were ever approved for home canning.. no?

Interesting article . They must be legal to use , all the Amish around me use them on the canned goods that they sell. I only used them when we ran out of flats for the 2 piece lids . Don't think that we will try them again . It hurts my feelings to feed canned goods to the hogs !