Canned tomatoes and pinto beans

Help Support CattleToday:

Hippie Rancher

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
how did you do the beans? they are such a staple here I would never have thought of canning them. sometimes think about freezing but then they just get eaten before I get around to it. :D

OP
tex452

tex452

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
They have to be pressure canned.
I do a quick soak, put beans in a pot after they are cleaned and boil for 2 minutes.
Cover and let set for one hour.
I put onions and jalapeños in my jars with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pinto bean seasoning.
Fill jars 3/4 full with beans, then pour boiling water over them, need to get air out of jars with a plastic knife going down the sides of the jars shaking them a little.
Put lids on and pressure can, there’s instructions all over the place on how to pressure can.
Pts-75 minutes
Qtz-90 min.

sstterry

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
It’s called pinto bean seasoning.
I think that that seasoning is sort of a Tex-Mex type of thing. I have seen it in the Hispanic food sections around here. In our area some sort of salted pork is the seasoning of choice. I may have to try that seasoning though.

When I was growing up, canning sausage and port tenderloin was pretty popular around here (that canned tenderloin was a heart attack in a jar, but boy was it good).

jltrent

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of work there as I need to try the pinto bean canning. Just got done with 35 quarts of peanut beans and 21 pints of squash/zuccini relics. Getting the cucumbers together now to make some bread and butter lime pickles.

OP
tex452

tex452

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
I think that that seasoning is sort of a Tex-Mex type of thing. I have seen it in the Hispanic food sections around here. In our area some sort of salted pork is the seasoning of choice. I may have to try that seasoning though.

When I was growing up, canning sausage and port tenderloin was pretty popular around here (that canned tenderloin was a heart attack in a jar, but boy was it good).
I do put a little chunk of salt pork in my beans.
I left that out of the recipe.

Latest posts