Cane syrup and.....

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591":3ud3xvrc said:
I'm finding that companies are offering "pure cane syrup" or "Ribbon Cane syrup" and leaving the "pure" or "100%" off. Seems lots of Ribbon Cane fields are close enough to other cane fields and suffer from cross pollination, so they can't state they are "1OO%" or "pure". However, I did find this one that says they are pure: http://www.carsonannsyrups.com/ .

Some are blending it as well...watch for molasses, sorghum or corn syrup in the list of ingredients.

I don't think it is so much any cross pollination cause there are only about four main types of cane (I think) two of which are ribbon canes. These ribbon canes are broke down to green and red ribbon but there are several varieties within these groups. We have a lot of Mississippi Red ribbon cane in this area but there are several other varieties most look the same but each are differentiated by sugar yields. If you look at the Carson syrup it is very dark and they warn you it will take a while for it to pour out of the container and it costs about $0.35/fluid ounce. Most syrup producers competing on the retail market have found they have to cut it down with corn syrup or other things for the impatient cost conscious public. Once cut you can buy about a quart for the same price as 12 oz of Carson's but as you know there is a big difference between the taste of the two. Of course, either of these is better than that watered down stuff the big boys make.

We went to IHOP after early Mass yesterday morning. Ordered my usual. Guess this thread made me pay attention. Poured the syrup on the pancakes and almost before I could reach for my fork it had disappeared into the pancakes....now I got sweet slop....never noticed it before. That good old ribbon cane would have stood up and let you write you name with it on those pancakes especially if it was about half cool.

Yep, that's what it does. I usually make a hole in the middle to keep it from running off the plate.

Jogee, I was reading that on one of the sites because they were explaining what they could not use the word "pure". Knowing how the FDA can be with terminology, I could easily understand why they couldn't use the term.

On those lines I can see a problem with pure too. I don't remember what it is, something like baking soda or the like that, is occassionally tossed into the pot to control the foaming. Its not done often and its done only at the whim of the cook but I guess this would knock the pure definitition out even though its just a smidge in the scope of things. I really don't know though.

This thread has made me realize I need to pay a bit closer attention this fall. Maybe it'd be better for me to bring a note pad rather than a cooler. :oops: :lol2:

Had a great uncle in MS when I was a kid, we would go visit every few years. He made cane syrup and molasses. He had a mill that was ran by mule power. The one thing I remember the most was he would give my brother and I all the cane we wanted to chew on, as long as it had already been fed through the mill.

Nothing better than some ribbon cane syrup . Ham from a wild pig and hand made butter milk biscuits. I usually get mine from a fella I bale hay for he usually gives me a couple cans a year .

Latest posts