candy bars of the past

Help Support CattleToday:

I remember when i was a kid buying a baby ruth candy bar and 16 oz coke for a quarter. They use to have thoes old water cooler chest type boxes to keep the cokes in. Alot of times when you would pull your coke out of the box it would be sloshy with ice inside of the bottle sort of like one of todays icys.

Thoes old water cooler coke boxes were painted red with the coca cola emblem on them and a bottle top opener on the conner of the box. Man you could not buy a better pop than came out of them. Remember the RC cola ?

And you had to pay a $ .10 deposite on the bottle. All of us kids use to ride our bicycles down the road looking for coke bottles so that we could go collect the deposite on them. If i remember right the coke cost $ .10 plus $ .10 for the deposite on the bottle then the big babby ruth candy bar was a nickle. :D Dang i am getting old ! :D

I had a news papper route that i would start at 6 a.m. in the morning and finish at about 1 p.m. in the afternoon on Sundays that i made $ .50 for doing it. Well actually i helped this old man on his news papper route. The old goat was probably making a $100 bucks each Sunday and paying me the fifty cents. :D

I've got some antique glass bottles that are why soda is called pop...don't think any of us on here is old enough to remember them on the shelf. Apparently so I am told, is the round ball in the neck of the bottle used to make a pop sound when you knocked the bottom of the bottle to release it so as you could drink the soda inside. Two are American from the Coke company engraved on the glass it say's 'for medicinal purposes only' Now they say to much coke is not good for you. How things change over the years.

kicks TB in the backside.i can eat my weight in peanut patties.i ate 3 of those jokers in 1 sitting the other day.

bigbull338":3s4k3b1q said:
kicks TB in the backside.i can eat my weight in peanut patties.i ate 3 of those jokers in 1 sitting the other day.

BB...like everything else, they don't make'em a big as they use to. Better be careful eating so many..those raw peanuts will give you the "squirts". :lol: :lol:

chrisy":1txm757q said:
I've got some antique glass bottles that are why soda is called pop...don't think any of us on here is old enough to remember them on the shelf. Apparently so I am told, is the round ball in the neck of the bottle used to make a pop sound when you knocked the bottom of the bottle to release it so as you could drink the soda inside. Two are American from the Coke company engraved on the glass it say's 'for medicinal purposes only' Now they say to much coke is not good for you. How things change over the years.

Not only that, chrisy, but if those Coke bottles date back to the late 20's or earlier, they actually contained a bit of cocaine at one time.

I remember when i was about 12 years old my parents bought & ran a small country store. Well like all kids i had to explorer the new store. The store was a little wood building type structure that sat on blocks. At the back of the building it was high enough off of the ground that i guess previous owners would at times store things.

So one day while i was crawling arround underneath the building i found these old, old pop bottles that were in a wooden crate they used to use to store pop bottles in. Although it was just about all rotted. Well i got the bottles out and washed them up and i have never ever seen any like them since.

The bottles were round about a third of the way up the bottle then it was square in the middle with a emblem on each side of the square then above the square part of the bottle in become rounded again and tapered down to the neck of the bottle.

It has been so long now since i found the bottles i can not remember for sure but one embelem was of president Aborham Lincon. I know i can not spell but you know who i am talking about. Then on another side of the bottle was a star and up on the neck of the bottle was the word coca cola.

I have tried to look on the internet to find the bottles to see when they were arround but never had any luck at it. Stupid me sold the bottles about a dozen or so in all for $ 10 each which was alot of money to a 12 year old kid who could care less about some old pop bottles. But it would have been in the early 70's when i found these bottles and they were old old bottles then.

Not much telling what they are worth ?

I thought of the marathon bar as soon as I read the name of the post! What a hoot. Well, I went a surfing and found that another company makes the curly wurly, that is the same as marathon bar. This web site has a bunch of these candies you all have been talking about. http://www.oldtimecandy.com. I just spent my pleasure money, so will have to save up for my next pleasure purchase. Might as well get a great big ole box for the shipping charge savings!
Jo

went into that site and found the curly whirly, and it is not a marathon at all here a marathon is now a snickers bar. We still have curly whirly's they are the only thing with chocolate I eat, put them in the freezer until real hard and when you eat them not only are they nice and cold they last longer. as they take longer to chew.

chrisy,

Thanks very much for the web site address's. I have been looking through them but i still have not found the bottles yet. Man i did not know coca cola made so many different styles of bottles. I guess at one time each state had its own style of coke bottle ? But if i find it i will let you know so that you can see what they looked like. If i still had one of the bottles and if it had a patient # on it i could look it up that way. But i no longer have them, although i bet the fella i sold them to still does, he was sort of a collector of things like that. And he is a friend of mine, i might have to check with him and just see if he still has them.

Stepper":17o8tzzk said:
chrisy,

Thanks very much for the web site address's. I have been looking through them but i still have not found the bottles yet. Man i did not know coca cola made so many different styles of bottles. I guess at one time each state had its own style of coke bottle ? But if i find it i will let you know so that you can see what they looked like. If i still had one of the bottles and if it had a patient # on it i could look it up that way. But i no longer have them, although i bet the fella i sold them to still does, he was sort of a collector of things like that. And he is a friend of mine, i might have to check with him and just see if he still has them.
your welcome Hope your friend does still have them, what an investment they were for him, bet you could kick yourself now, the things we do when we are young. I swopped an American Airforce jacket for a box of drawing pencils when I was about 9 - 10 wondered why at the time my brother wanted to wring my neck. It was mine and he wanted it Now I know better.