Cancer eye

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Working the girls today,vaccinations for lepto noticed one had cancer eye starting.
First case in years.
Girl is due any day looks like she gets a ride at weaning to Lone Star.

How old is she? I had one last August, very early stages. Vet removed the 3rd eyelid from both eyes, confirmed she was bred & saw no reason to cull her but to keep an eye on her (no pun intended). She's doing great, due in a couple weeks, no signs whatsoever of any eye problems or enlarged lymph nodes. That doesn't mean she won't eventually have problems and she just turned 8 but for now she's one of our best producers, breeds like clockwork, awesome mama, I've retained all 4 of her heifer calves.

But you gotta do what's best for your operation.

TCRanch":3g9au767 said:
How old is she? I had one last August, very early stages. Vet removed the 3rd eyelid from both eyes, confirmed she was bred & saw no reason to cull her but to keep an eye on her (no pun intended). She's doing great, due in a couple weeks, no signs whatsoever of any eye problems or enlarged lymph nodes. That doesn't mean she won't eventually have problems and she just turned 8 but for now she's one of our best producers, breeds like clockwork, awesome mama, I've retained all 4 of her heifer calves.

She is an eight year old raises a great calf.

Caustic Burno":3qscfdiu said:
TCRanch":3qscfdiu said:

My vet charged $35.00 for an exam & to remove the eyelids. May be worth considering . . .

We had a cow with cancer eye with a small calf on it. Our retired vet friend came and actually removed the eye and some surrounding tissue and we kept close watch but not complications. Sewed the outer lids shut and that was that. She stayed and went on and raised 3 more calves. Have one now that was a bought cow a couple of years ago. Has cancer eye. He said we will do the same with her. She is about 7-8 months bred. Raises an awesome calf. Would like to see if she has a heifer this time. But I don't know if we will keep her past this calf.
Good luck with your cow.

Caustic Burno":1bz9na5c said:
TCRanch":1bz9na5c said:

That's about the age it'll show up,, is she a Braford? Mine was,it was on the third eyelid ..ex is a vet and she removed it...

CB, this is what it looked like when I found it. Just a very small lesion in the corner of her eye. Nothing visible in her left eye but vet said it looked a little too pink/red so removed it as well, as a precaution.

Not saying you should try it... But I'd lock her head down and remove it myself..before I'd lose a good Bradford..here anyway,too hard to come by...

Caustic Burno":3nq51q92 said:
Working the girls today,vaccinations for lepto noticed one had cancer eye starting.
First case in years.

Make sure there is no blood or puss coming out otherwise you'll end up paying lonestar. If they catch it before it gets to the floor they put it back on your trailer. I know a packer that would be closer that will take bad eyes unlike LS.

NolanCountyAG":2e5wak26 said:
Caustic Burno":2e5wak26 said:
First case in years.

Make sure there is no blood or puss coming out otherwise you'll end up paying lonestar. If they catch it before it gets to the floor they put it back on your trailer. I know a packer that would be closer that will take bad eyes unlike LS.

She is good I caught it early.

NolanCountyAG":28rcmu8b said:
TCRanch":28rcmu8b said:
ALACOWMAN":28rcmu8b said:
Not saying you should try it... But I'd lock her head down and remove it myself..before I'd lose a good Bradford..here anyway,too hard to come by...
I've done some naaaaaasty things but I won't go there! :lol:

Ice cream scoop
Ewee!

Latest posts