cancer eye cow

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
so did the whole subject about neighbors cow get pulled ? don't know if I ever saw that done before and who got it pulled was it something that the one who started was able to do ???

Sure a lot of different opinions on what needed to be done. A picture is worth a thousand words, and that thread proved it.

meh..was a hot topic. didn't go the way I thought it was gonna. I didn't notice it was gone..thought everyone was just don't bitchin

Saw it shortly after it went up. Don't know how it went after that.
Glad it was pulled.

I tell my students every semester - in today's world, those of us involved in animal agriculture and veterinary medicine need to be VERY CAREFUL about what we post - in words and photos - about what we do. Far too many folks out there today don't have an inkling about the constant struggle of life and death on a farm or ranch...all they know is fluffy puppies & kitties, and a Disneyfied world of talking animals that always get along with one another...and their meat comes from the grocery, neatly wrapped in plastic, or already prepared and ready to pop into the microwave.
All it takes is one photo like that neglected cancer-eye cow, or someone trying to get a down cow up by what would look like - to those folks - barbaric tactics - and the reputation of all responsible livestockproducers is sullied.
We know what it is...but they don't; and they outnumber us - and often outvote us.

so just drink the koolaid?..we wouldn't want reality getting in the way. god forbid anyone stand up and get yelled at

welcome to the continuing pussification of America...

hope I didn't hurt anyones feelings with that...sorry

I'll play devil's advocate a bit here. I do understand the impulse to try to protect ourselves (collectively), but if we are fearful of posting images of cattle who are, to all appearances, not being treated very well, who does that serve? And where does it stop? What about a legit pic from a member on CA asking for advice on a wound, or mastitis, etc? Do we need to censor those?

I think we should instead strive for openness and transparency about how we raise our animals. Yes, it's true that many people don't understand the first thing about farm life, and animal husbandry. Let's educate them.

I for one always get raised eyebrows (even from family and friends) about the fact that our hardy Angus are (gasp!) not housed in a barn all winter. I bite my tongue and explain that they're bred for this weather--that they have windbreaks, and can go in the barn when they want to get out of the truly bitter cold (and that they seldom do so, except on the coldest days of the year). Usually, the person comes away with a bit of knowledge they didn't have before.

If we give the public only a Disneyfied view of cattle-raising, aren't we part of the reason they have a Disneyesque view of cattle-raising?

:2cents: :2cents:

well just keep yer problems to yourself and dont publicly discuss anyhting with anybody who mght get upset about anyhting

Latest posts