Canadian Drugs ?

Help Support CattleToday:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
I have developed a touch of high blood pressure and the doc wants me to take medicine for it, I aint much on takin medicine but he says Im gonna have trouble if I dont.
Well I have an old neighbor that gets his outa Canada and I thought I would see if anyone here has any suggestions about the quality and price, maybe a store that they been using ?
I dont have any insurance for drugs, never had a need, all I have is a policy through Farm Bureau, they dont do drugs...............thanks in advance.
Good luck

PS I was tryin to ask this on Ranchersnet too, but I see Macon been workin on the site again :?

I take blood pressure medicine myself Hay Maker because mine is pretty darn high. If I had just a touch of Hugh blood pressure I would try everything possible to lower it short of medication. Lose weight, exercise, change of diet and so on.

My :2cents:

HAY MAKER":2y2c25ae said:
I have developed a touch of high blood pressure and the doc wants me to take medicine for it, I aint much on takin medicine but he says Im gonna have trouble if I dont.
Well I have an old neighbor that gets his outa Canada and I thought I would see if anyone here has any suggestions about the quality and price, maybe a store that they been using ?
I dont have any insurance for drugs, never had a need, all I have is a policy through Farm Bureau, they dont do drugs...............thanks in advance.
Good luck

PS I was tryin to ask this on Ranchersnet too, but I see Macon been workin on the site again :?

Hay Maker

My folks are both alive - Dad 82 and Mom 79.

The drugs they take are mostly made in the US of A. The drug stores here are essentially the same as your own.

There are - yeah, this was true last year and I suspect still is - bus tours that come to Canada for seniors and they buy drugs like crazy. That is why they come. Most of our stuff used to be far cheaper - even if made in the US of A, but now your dollar has fallen drastically and ours has climbed - so I do not know.

Spend 10 bucks and ask. I have no personal gain in any of this other than to give you some info, but you can call the store below and ask what their prices are if you like.

By the way - called mom - just for you my friend - and asked her about what she takes for her blood pressure and what she pays and where she buys it. Here is the low down:

The drug name is - "Vasotec" (company name I suppose)
The active ingredient is - "enalapril maleate" (pretty fancy words so I got her to spell it)
The dose is one pill in the morning and one pill at night
She gets it from a privately owned pharmacy called Johnsons Pharmacy - located on the main street of her town
That telephone number is 613 473 4112
She told me she thought the pills cost about a hundred bucks for a bottle of 180 pills

She used to take one a day for the past ten years but had a mild stroke a couple of years ago - luckily a good recovery and now she takes two a day

I know darned well you could call that pharmacist and get all the answers you need. All it would take is a bit of your time.

As for quality and pricing - well the quality will be as good or better as the medicines used in your country - we have been supplying drugs to the US of A for years. Most of the drug companies up here are owned by you guys.

Give them a shout - I plan to PM you this info and put it up on Cattlemans if I do not see a response by tomorrow morning.

Best to you

Bez

I don't know what drug you are on but there is a big difference in the price between the USA and Canada on some of these drugs. There was a large anti-trust suit brought against one of our major pharmaceutical companies in the early 80's over one of the heart pills - I think it was Plavix. I think the USA was charging $6/pill and in Canada it was $1/pill. American and French companies had some sort of agreement where they one would manufacture and the other would market it. They got together and paid the other company not to market them in the USA. They got caught. Went to federal court. Judge fined the doctor who worked out the trade $50,000 and made him write a 200 word essay on what he had learned. Company went back to making them and selling them for $1 in Canada and they are still $6 here. For what its worth, my doctor suggests that we purchase our medicine from Canada because its the same thing only cheaper.

Make sure you got to have the exact script the Dr. wrote. Had a dr.write me a script for one that was expensive friend of mine who is also Dr. told me of another pill that worked just as good way cheaper.

hooknline":3ez70466 said:
Didnt the USPS and the FDA crack down on Canadian purchases?

Yeah, seems like it was illegal to purchase it because they said it was unsafe even though it was made by the same companies and these companies supply a lot of grease to the wheels in DC so I was quite surprised when my doctor pulled out a list of stuff he could get us through Canada. But I don't think Canada can supply the quality snake oil some of our pharmaceutical companies can.

Red Bull Breeder":3ez70466 said:
Make sure you got to have the exact script the Dr. wrote. Had a dr.write me a script for one that was expensive friend of mine who is also Dr. told me of another pill that worked just as good way cheaper.

Good advice. Many doctors have no clue what these drugs cost and once you point it out to them they can give you an alternative.

Jogeephus":z9x5z4jq said:
hooknline":z9x5z4jq said:
Didnt the USPS and the FDA crack down on Canadian purchases?

Yeah, seems like it was illegal to purchase it because they said it was unsafe even though it was made by the same companies and these companies supply a lot of grease to the wheels in DC so I was quite surprised when my doctor pulled out a list of stuff he could get us through Canada. But I don't think Canada can supply the quality snake oil some of our pharmaceutical companies can.

Yep about 6-7 years ago they raided and shut down a couple of pharmacy's in Billings- that were getting its prescription drugs filled thru Canada- so could sell them to folks at a much cheaper rate...

Our Governor was also taking busloads of senior citizens and folks into Canada to purchase their prescription drugs because they were so much cheaper-- but the Feds got all nasty about that too...
Most are the EXACT same drugs- made in the same pharmaceutical companies as those sold in the US....

Makes you wonder about free trade and all that. I have a friend who is a USDA inspector and he spent 3 years on the docks in New York condemning loads of grapes from Brazil because someone had pointed out to them one grape that had been injected with cyanide. He gained 15 lbs eating grapes while condemning shipments and another was put in the hospital when his sugar got out of whack from eating too many of these poisoned grapes. Apparantly some high ranking congressperson from California didn't like the competition.

Jogeephus":2qudrgs9 said:
Makes you wonder about free trade and all that. I have a friend who is a USDA inspector and he spent 3 years on the docks in New York condemning loads of grapes from Brazil because someone had pointed out to them one grape that had been injected with cyanide. He gained 15 lbs eating grapes while condemning shipments and another was put in the hospital when his sugar got out of whack from eating too many of these poisoned grapes. Apparantly some high ranking congressperson from California didn't like the competition.

Many times as well all that "USDA Inspected" stamps means is that the container weighs what they said it weighed. Nothing more.

Have you checked with Walgreens or Walmart's pharmacy systems? They have very cheap prices if you are uninsured. My Medicare drug coverage was costing me $31 a month and I bought meds so little that each time I bought, I had to pay full retail to cover my deductible. It was cheaper to pay full price on the meds than pay my insurance bill. Then Walgreens told me about their low cost med coverage. Now pay a cheap price and save.

I've had my share of surgeries lately and thankfully, Walgreens was there. Other places offer the same help.

Good luck - Please report back when you get it all sorted out.

Latest posts