Canadian Company Switches to US Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

LCCattle":39iirjb4 said:
NolanCountyAG":39iirjb4 said:
LCCattle":39iirjb4 said:
TexasBred, etc

You are correct. The last burger I ate in town was at McDonald's. It was a burger with nothing on it and I took the meet out and tried to eat it and it defiantly was a dairy meat burger AKA a pink slim burger.
It was the sorriest excuse for beef that I had ever tasted and tried to eat.

Do you remember the black eye the whole cattle industry got over using pink slim in inferior ground beef to enhance it and make it palatable?
It was then that I realized that there was merit to the public out cry for a better quality meat and why cattlemen were loosing market share and cattle prices were going down.

As for see Holstein steers in a feedlot. Yes I have seen them along with thousands of Holstein heifers also. Holstein calves that have been raised with the same protocol as beef cattle is not what we are talking about as they too grade USDA select or choice.

We are talking about old dairy cows who have out lived their usefulness to produce milk and have not been raised to produce beef, that have little/no marbling or back fat and need to have pink slim/trimmings added to make the meat palatable.

I'm not knocking anyone's product, but facts are facts and need to be discussed if the beef industry is ever going to regain it's fair market share back from the chicken and pork industry. And by the way, have you noticed that most all restaurants are now adding bacon ( pork ) to their burgers to make them more palatable ?
Do you know Chick Fil A is now the most popular fast food restaurant ?
Do you know that when ever you see a claim of inhumane treatment of animals or a downer it's almost always a Holstein or at least a dairy cow?
Do you know the the USDA is going to soon be using ultrasound to grade cattle, if they are not already?
Do you know what that may mean to the dairy industry if they set the requirement to high?
Have you considered what requiring a USDA grade, at the consumer level, on all meat sold in the US will do to the imported meat?
Have you considered what this, producing a better quality meat, informing and educating the general public, will do for cattle prices?

So if you think this is all BS please feel free to tell me how you think we cattleman, both dairy and beef cattle, can regain/improve our market share.

The pink slime is the chicken nuggets. Get your **** straight!
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_slime
&
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201 ... -with-that

Quoting wikipedia you lose any credibility in my eyes. Go troll someplace else.

LCCattle":3mm1zkrc said:
TexasBred, etc

And by the way, have you noticed that most all restaurants are now adding bacon ( pork ) to their burgers to make them more palatable ?
Do you know Chick Fil A is now the most popular fast food restaurant ?
Do you know that when ever you see a claim of inhumane treatment of animals or a downer it's almost always a Holstein or at least a dairy cow?
Do you know the the USDA is going to soon be using ultrasound to grade cattle, if they are not already?
Do you know what that may mean to the dairy industry if they set the requirement to high?
Have you considered what requiring a USDA grade, at the consumer level, on all meat sold in the US will do to the imported meat?
Have you considered what this, producing a better quality meat, informing and educating the general public, will do for cattle prices?

So if you think this is all BS please feel free to tell me how you think we cattleman, both dairy and beef cattle, can regain/improve our market share.
1. I have noticed that burgers with bacon in the patty has become a bit of a fad or fashionable thing to do, now that it's gained some popularity its almost shot up to .00001% of all ground beef sold.
2. Maybe because it tastes good, they are clean and well staffed, have a good business model from a franchise perspective and have a value system that resonates well with Middle America.
3. Camera grading etc. has been used for years in plants where live graders couldn't keep up with chain speed, if you've ever seen cattle graded, you'd be surprised this hasn't become more automated sooner.
4. It will mean nothing to the dairy industry, fed dairy cattle will very often out grade their beef counterparts as will fed cows that grade Standard or Commercial and go into the HRI trade. Old grinder cows that are going into processed products, are Cutters, Canners etc., no matter what breed they are.
5. I have. I don't think you completely understand what grading is, what it does, what being graded means, how grading happens.
Being graded and inspected are 2 different things. As such, having a good Quality Grade and/or Yield Grade doesn't necessarily make beef safer nor being a No Roll or Canner less safe.
6. The Beef Industry has been my families only business for over a century, so yeah, how to produce beef that brings more dollars for less dollars with more people wanting more of it has crossed my mind a time or two.

Latest posts