Canadian Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

jim

Reaction score
I heard from a friend in Alberta that they're government has gone to 100% testing of slaughter beef so they can get recertified as free of BSE and they can start exporting again. What do y'all think?

jim":355mdhou said:
I heard from a friend in Alberta that they're government has gone to 100% testing of slaughter beef so they can get recertified as free of BSE and they can start exporting again. What do y'all think?
I think its possible that your friend is misinformed. Talking about it, yes. Actually doing it, I don't think so.

jim":ay6jxenb said:

It would we a waste of time. But the Canadians are desperate now aren't they.

It might add more cost to a critter but the pay back should be excellent if they can open up the japanese market again. 20 dollars per head is cheap to what they have lost on having limeted market for the product. Just think of the marketing potential advertizing 100 percent tested BSE free beef.

PATB":uancswc1 said:
It might add more cost to a critter but the pay back should be excellent if they can open up the japanese market again. 20 dollars per head is cheap to what they have lost on having limeted market for the product. Just think of the marketing potential advertizing 100 percent tested BSE free beef.

But there is no conclusive BSE test available to test animals that are less than 30 months of age. Most of your exported beef will hang on the rail by 18 months of age. It sounds really nice but that's about all. Japan visited our testing methods we explained this fact to them and they agree that 100% is a waste and purely cosmetic. We will have Japan's market before Canada does.

jim said:
I heard from a friend in Alberta that they're government has gone to 100% testing of slaughter beef so they can get recertified as free of BSE and they can start exporting again. What do y'all think

Just a rumour.

Cattle Rack Rancher":2tgoqt4j said:
We will have Japan's market before Canada does.

I doubt it. I think they will open to both countries at the same time.

Most likely it really seems like your government is doing a lot to get your export markets back open. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

The Peace Country Tender Beef Co-op was reported to have approval from the CFIA to test 100%, but the day after the press release, the CFIA said that they had not yet granted them the right to do so.

On the bright side, they're (PCTBC) going ahead with their facility in our hometown, and will process not only fats, but also slaughter cows. Hooks are reasonably priced, so if a person can scrounge up some coin it will open up options for our culls this winter. Apparently the crocks (footrot, ancient granny cows, etc.) will be rendered into some sort of fuel to power the operation.

It is very refreshing to see a positive move ahead in our industry, especially after all this time of hearing "Hang in there...the border will be opened soon" by our CCA representatives.

I have a copy of the membership application, and if any of my fellow Canadians would like a copy emailed to them, please PM me.

Take care.

Latest posts