Canadian cattle prices

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

These are the prices I just heard on the radio in Canadian $'s.

cows & bulls .20 cents a lb

500 lb steers .95 cents a lb
500 lb heifers .85 cents a lb

These calf prices are destined to drop as soon as the fall run starts!

Two years ago at this time bulls were selling for over .75 cents a pound.
:?:

Sure wish I could find a place that actually pays 95 cents a pound for 5 weights.

Hasn't happened here in over a year.

More like 50 - 60 cents a pound - and thats on a good day.

I can see frenchie salivating at those prices! If they are true ......

Bez

Bez":37pgbic4 said:
I can see frenchie salivating at those prices! If they are true ......
Frenchie's probably on the phone now ordering trucks!

Bez, I'm not a spokesman for everybody, but I sure as Hell hope it would be safe for me to say that most of us down here hope to see better markets for you guys. And the sooner the better! And then there's those.........

I would like to see the border open as well. I usually ship my calves in November but this year I'm thinking I may just ship my steers and hold onto most of my heifers. I think there could be a possibility that guys in the States may be looking for good replacements and as much as its kind of a poor year, it is an excellent opportunity in Canada to upgrade your genetics for not alot of money. But you have to focus on the longterm. The mood of the cattle producers is very similar to what I saw when I was at the brokerage and the stock market began its freefall. First, there was disbelief and alot of anger, but now most people have adjusted to their new reality. The losses are past them, and they're now wiser for the experience. I believe that this is a cleansing of sorts and that when we emerge, we'll be a better and stronger industry then we were when this started.

Cattle Rack Rancher":2zjifkoh said:
I would like to see the border open as well. I usually ship my calves in November but this year I'm thinking I may just ship my steers and hold onto most of my heifers. I think there could be a possibility that guys in the States may be looking for good replacements and as much as its kind of a poor year, it is an excellent opportunity in Canada to upgrade your genetics for not alot of money. But you have to focus on the longterm. The mood of the cattle producers is very similar to what I saw when I was at the brokerage and the stock market began its freefall. First, there was disbelief and alot of anger, but now most people have adjusted to their new reality. The losses are past them, and they're now wiser for the experience. I believe that this is a cleansing of sorts and that when we emerge, we'll be a better and stronger industry then we were when this started.

Cattlerack- Just my two cents worth- and it probably isn't worth that much but I don't see live cattle eligible for the US breeding herd being allowed into the US for at least a year- maybe more... The only reasoning I have behind this is that all the US cattle and farm organizations in their comments to the USDA asked that no more live cattle except steers, spayed heifers, or permanently marked cattle for slaughter be allowed in-All were against the chance of getting another BSE infected cow into the US herd -My gut feeling is that no breeding stock will be allowed in before Aug 2005 when Canada regains a BSE minimum risk status-- maybe not even then.... Not trying to start an argument- just giving you my feel of the perception down here.

Oldtimer":9j0ezoil said:
......I don't see live cattle eligible for the US breeding herd being allowed into the US for at least a year- maybe more...
Suspect that you're correct, Oldtimer. The "maybe more" part. Even if they're eligible, I just don't see the demand for them for a long time. At least not down here. Maybe better demand in the Mountains and Plains states? Then you're talking about the R-CALF areas. Uh-uh! I just can't see it......

Well, I am - unfortunately - working on the premise that the border will be closed for a minimum of three years.

Not what most want to hear, but that is my opinion.

I am getting rid of everything over three years of age on this place as of this September. Period. I do not care how good the animal is - I simply cannot afford the cost of feeding an animal that cannot pay her way.

If things do not improve soon I am selling everything that moves as of next Spring.

Regards

Bez

Bez":6ugxuaiz said:
Well, I am - unfortunately - working on the premise that the border will be closed for a minimum of three years.

Not what most want to hear, but that is my opinion.

I am getting rid of everything over three years of age on this place as of this September. Period. I do not care how good the animal is - I simply cannot afford the cost of feeding an animal that cannot pay her way.

If things do not improve soon I am selling everything that moves as of next Spring.

Regards

Bez

If you have some really good cows that you just hate to loose the genetics from, why not have them flushed. A tank full of embryos doesn't cost much to feed.

dun

A question for my fellow Canucks...anyone hear anything new about plans for a Gov't mass cull on cows? I've been hearing that this may be in the works for this fall, seeing as the Gov't seems to pour more financial aid into companies like Bombardier and Air Canada rather than processing plants for mature animals. Sure hope it's better thought out than the other programs that the Gov't has had in place for the beef industry (CAIS, TISP, etc). CAIS is a sore point for me, as due to a negative margin I've been told I won't qualify for their program. :mad: Some help!

On the down side, I've heard that some of the auctions (Nillsons for one) may be taking cows on a quota basis. Basically, they'll only sell the number of cows that can be processed by the plant for that week. Kind of leaves a person S.O.L. for topping up the liner loads with a few head of cull animals if they end up being over the number of required head when they land at the auction market. Anyone else heard this?

Take care and hang in there.

I heard the cull rumor as well and I also heard the CCA deny it. If we can get our slaughter capacity up, there have to be third world countries who are looking for some cheap beef. I also don't care much for the new CAIS program. I don't qualify either. I'm lucky I've got a job, but the stress on my Dad is very visible and my brother, who farms full time, is thrashing around right now trying to find anything that will work. Some of the other boards were getting downright nasty the last little while. I'm working on the premise that the border won't open until next year. I'll hedge as much as I can afford both ways by keeping what calves I can feed for the winter (heifers-because they give me more flexibility) and selling the rest for whatever I can get. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the kind wishes, CRR. Same to you...give your Dad and brother a hug from me, too. I've been looking for some off-farm income to help meet the bills for my cows, but it's a little tricky to find an employer who's willing to see you leave for a few months at a time during calving and haying season. Oh well, figure there'll be a silver lining in the clouds somewhere around here soon. On the up side, Honey might have found some income guiding for a local outfitter this fall (that should help him pay some of the bills for his herd)....now if I could only leave the kids on their own for a couple of months I'd be right there with him!

BullLady, thanks for the compliment. He's our 3 year old stud. So far I am very pleased with him under saddle. Both intelligent and willing. Bred him to one of my mares last year and have a dandy colt out of him as well. Next year should be about half a dozen of his get on the ground, so I guess we'll start to see how he rates as a sire in a few years when they are started.

Back to the topic of Canadian cattle prices, I hope this link to Alberta's provincial agriculture website works...they have the weekly market report on line.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department ... endocument

Take care

I would open it if I could, its a shame politics is messing with the neighborhood.
I remember what its like to give cattle away, during the 99 drought the buyers had us by the short hairs and knew it. I will never forget I hauled a load to the salebarn and a 1400 lb dang fine bred cow brought 325 dollars.
My hats off to ya'll good luck.

Campground, will the link not open for you? I know it took a minute to open the last time I checked it, but let me know if you're having trouble with it. Thanks for the encouraging words. Last time I was at the sale barn cull cows were averaging around $100.00. Saw one sell for $40.00. Stopped going after that. Too depressing.

Take care.

I read where statistics Canada released info last week that their are 6.5% more cattle (1 million head) than there was 1 year ago---Maybe its just my continued pessimism working- but if the border opened (unrestricted) tomorrow, I don't think Canadians would see any major increase in prices-just a big drop in the US prices. Be too huge a supply for the demand.

But I don't see any (unrestricted) border opening happening- Hopefully its done over a long enough timetable to lessen the impact to the US producer.

CattleAnnie

It does get depressing alright, I sold calves today ,Absolutely terrible prices. :(

I have never in my life ever seen so many people in trouble, than in the last yr. :(

Oldtimer":1w3j80et said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":1w3j80et said:

Cattlerack- Just my two cents worth- and it probably isn't worth that much but I don't see live cattle eligible for the US breeding herd being allowed into the US for at least a year- maybe more... The only reasoning I have behind this is that all the US cattle and farm organizations in their comments to the USDA asked that no more live cattle except steers, spayed heifers, or permanently marked cattle for slaughter be allowed in-All were against the chance of getting another BSE infected cow into the US herd -My gut feeling is that no breeding stock will be allowed in before Aug 2005 when Canada regains a BSE minimum risk status-- maybe not even then.... Not trying to start an argument- just giving you my feel of the perception down here.

I really have a hard time feeling sympathy for the Canadian beef industry when they have allowed their production to exceed their consumption by so much. When you depend that heavily on an export market you are gonna take a harder hit when those markets shut down. The real irony of it all is that its not their export market that they depend on, it's ours.