canadian brahmas

Help Support CattleToday:

glover36":399wq0rh said:
just wondering if anyone in canada breeds brangus or brahma

I got a slight feeling they would not do well at 40 - 50 below in Grande Prairie, Alberta.

Never seen one in Canada - but that does not make it impossible.

Bez'

lol i am from ontario it gets down around 20 well i used to see them in the AI books but now they dont have them anymore so i am thinking of piedemontese

SOmebody posted several pics of very nice Santa Gertrudis cattle up there. I am sure somebody owns some straight Brahmas up there just to be different.

3 families round here tried Brahmans about 10 years ago. They all thought it was a great idea - I don't know why. I have a feeling it had more to do w/the nostalgic feeling it gave them. That 'Lonesome Dove',' I'm a rancher' feeling. It turned to downright nausea come their first winter when the bull froze his nuts, feet and ears, and the cows froze their udders etc. I saw some of em-poor buggers. It was a damn shame too. They were pretty well put up cattle in their own way. Just taken somewhere they never should have been.

They didn't have em more than a couple years I think. The second winter they kept em at the one fellas place b/c his barn was big enough to keep them in every night/cold day. That first winter was a bad one too. It stayed below -30 F from mid December-February. I'll never forget Christmas day and Boxing Day, it was -55 F. Coldest I've ever been.

It would be hard to tell if there are any Brahmas in Canada or Minnesota after their ears and other floppy body parts froze and then fell off. We even see a fair number of short tails and short ears on fall calved english beeds in northern Minnesota. They get discounted heavily when they are sold as stockers or feeders.

Latest posts