Canadian admits to feeding chicken feed to cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Heres a copy of an article in yesterdays Canadian press-- Without absolutely banning ALL untested ruminant products in ALL animal feed, how will we stop some dummy from continuing the BSE cycle? Just a little left over chicken feed- I'll give it to the old cow- and maybe wreck the entire cattle industry!!!!- I'm sure this revelation is not going to help the Canadian border to reopen for live cattle- R-CALF and many of the consumer groups attorneys are probably sharpening their pencils now.........

And now on top of that USDA and FDA are looking at lessening the restrictions on US feed rather than tightening them.

BSE-infected cow may have gotten into cattle feed

OTTAWA - The diseased cow that sparked Canada's mad cow crisis in May 2003 was turned into feed and may have been mistakenly fed to other cows, CBC News has learned.

Documents obtained through Access to Information show the Canadian Food Inspection Agency had discovered cattle at a number of farms were eating feed intended only for pigs and chickens. That feed may have contained the rendered remains of the diseased cow.

By law, cattle cannot be given feed made from rendered cows, precisely because it could spread bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

Part of the problem was by the time BSE was confirmed in the suspect cow, it had already been ground up into feed.

The agency estimated that feed was sold to as many as 1,800 farms and launched an investigation. They visited 200 cattle operations and found several cases where cows were exposed to the feed.

Three cattle farms were quarantined and 63 cattle destroyed.

Inspectors also learned there was frequent cross-contamination of chicken and cattle feed, and in one case, the farmer admitted he routinely gave chicken feed to cows.

In 1997, the federal government banned the practice of allowing cattle to be ground up and fed back to other cattle.

The latest research shows just a milligram of infected feed is needed to trigger BSE in a cow, said Neil Cashman, professor of neurological disease at the University of Toronto.

According to Cashman, Canada should not be feeding any animals any material rendered from a cow because feed mix-ups are so common. He adds that the risk to humans is infinitesimal.

Cattle remains are still used as pig and chicken feed, but concerns about cross-contamination persist.
Mike McBain

In June of last year, a group of international scientists urged Canada to stop recycling the most potentially infectious parts of cows, like the spinal column and the brain, into animal feed.

The agency consulted industry, farmers, and trading partners about such a ban, but nothing has been put in place, says Sergio Taluso, spokesperson for the food inspection agency.

One lobby group argued changes must come now.

"The only way to stop the transmission is to stop recycling animal protein into herbivores," said Mike McBain, of the Canadian Health Coalition.

"And the [food inspection agency] has refused to do that because it's waiting for the signal from industry instead of intervening and telling industry what to do," said McBain.

The latest research shows just a milligram of infected feed is needed to trigger BSE in a cow, said Neil Cashman, professor of neurological disease at the University of Toronto. ]
Boy am I stupid. I was under the impression that feeding prions back to cattle still had never resulted in a case of bse. I wonder what this discovery is? Can someone please enlighten me?

ollie":36pmz1mz said:
The latest research shows just a milligram of infected feed is needed to trigger BSE in a cow, said Neil Cashman, professor of neurological disease at the University of Toronto. ]
Boy am I stupid. I was under the impression that feeding prions back to cattle still had never resulted in a case of bse. I wonder what this discovery is? Can someone please enlighten me?

Heres whats on the USDA website-

When and how did BSE in cattle occur?
BSE in cattle was first reported in 1986 in the United Kingdom (UK). The exact origins of BSE remain uncertain, but it is thought that cattle initially may have become infected when fed feed contaminated with scrapie-infected sheep meat-and-bone meal (MBM). Scrapie is a prion disease in sheep similar to BSE in cattle. The scientific evidence suggests that the U.K. BSE outbreak in cattle then was expanded by feeding BSE-contaminated cattle protein (MBM) to calves. The definitive nature of the BSE agent is not completely known. The agent is thought to be a modified form of a protein, called a prion, which becomes infectious and accumulates in neural tissues causing a fatal, degenerative, neurological disease. These abnormal prions are resistant to common food disinfection treatments, such as heat, to reduce or eliminate their infectivity or presence. Research is ongoing to better understand TSE diseases and the nature of prion transmission.

Oldtimer":18oey023 said:
ollie":18oey023 said:

Heres whats on the USDA website-

When and how did BSE in cattle occur?
BSE in cattle was first reported in 1986 in the United Kingdom (UK). The exact origins of BSE remain uncertain, but it is thought that cattle initially may have become infected when fed feed contaminated with scrapie-infected sheep meat-and-bone meal (MBM). Scrapie is a prion disease in sheep similar to BSE in cattle. The scientific evidence suggests that the U.K. BSE outbreak in cattle then was expanded by feeding BSE-contaminated cattle protein (MBM) to calves. The definitive nature of the BSE agent is not completely known. The agent is thought to be a modified form of a protein, called a prion, which becomes infectious and accumulates in neural tissues causing a fatal, degenerative, neurological disease. These abnormal prions are resistant to common food disinfection treatments, such as heat, to reduce or eliminate their infectivity or presence. Research is ongoing to better understand TSE diseases and the nature of prion transmission.
Ollie- heres more from the USDA website-- There are many theories out there about cause and transmission of BSE- but prion transmission thru feed is the current one accepted by the govt.-- Everyone needs to know the legalities and dangers involved with feeding cattle banned feeds.

Epidemiological studies have characterized the outbreak of BSE in
the United Kingdom as a prolonged epidemic arising at various
locations, with all occurrences due to a common source, and have
suggested that feed contaminated by a TSE agent was the cause of the
disease outbreak (Ref. 14). The subsequent spread of BSE, however, is
associated with the feeding of meat-and-bone-meal from rendered BSE-
infected cattle to non-infected cattle (Ref. 14). It appears likely
that the BSE agent was transmitted among cattle at an increasing rate
by ruminant-to-ruminant feeding until the United Kingdom ban on such
practices went into effect in 1988 (Ref. 11). The United Kingdom
instituted a ruminant-to-ruminant feed ban to stop the cycle of
infection, restrict the geographic spread of the disease, and eliminate
potential sources of new infections. Since BSE was first identified in
the United Kingdom, approximately 185,000 cattle have been diagnosed
with the disease there (Ref. 15). The precautionary slaughter of
millions of British cows and increasingly stringent prohibitions on
certain animal feeding practices appear to have slowed, but not
eradicated, the BSE epidemic in the United Kingdom. In 1992 (the peak
year of the epidemic), there were over 35,000 cases of BSE in the
United Kingdom; in 2003, there were approximately 458 cases (Ref. 15).
The measures used to control and prevent the spread of BSE in the
United Kingdom were too slowly developed or too poorly enforced to
prevent the occurrence of BSE in cattle in other countries to which the
United Kingdom had shipped BSE-infected cattle or cattle feed (Ref.
11). In addition to the United Kingdom, BSE has been detected in non-
imported cattle in Austria, Belgium, Canada, the Czech Republic,
Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, Japan,
Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, the
Republic of Ireland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Switzerland (Ref.
15). On December 23, 2003, USDA diagnosed a positive case of BSE in an
adult Holstein cow, born in Canada, in the State of Washington.

So, the way I read this stuff from USDA, it seems that this impression of Ollie's is accurate:
ollie":tpb6slal said:
I was under the impression that feeding prions back to cattle still had never resulted in a case of bse.
That's the same impression that I was under. Oldtimer, thanks for sharing this, but nothing I see in this stuff from USDA tells me anything definitive. A lot of supposition and best guesses is what it sounds like to me. I don't mean to sound critical of the research so far. It just seems to me that there has been plenty of time to make it happen under laboratory conditions, if that is really the route of transmission. Until that happens, its always gonna be just another theory, in my opinion.

Texan":1jc3e3bn said:
So, the way I read this stuff from USDA, it seems that this impression of Ollie's is accurate:
ollie":1jc3e3bn said:
I was under the impression that feeding prions back to cattle still had never resulted in a case of bse.
That's the same impression that I was under. Oldtimer, thanks for sharing this, but nothing I see in this stuff from USDA tells me anything definitive. A lot of supposition and best guesses is what it sounds like to me. I don't mean to sound critical of the research so far. It just seems to me that there has been plenty of time to make it happen under laboratory conditions, if that is really the route of transmission. Until that happens, its always gonna be just another theory, in my opinion.

You are so right Texan- Lots of theories out there-- I guess my feeling is that if the government and cattle industry are going to accept this theory based on what evidence they have then they and the producer should be doing everything to comply with it until proven different.. We and the Canadians are in the process of testing cattle to see the extent of the disease- USDA has said that in a couple of years with the amount tested - if no positives- they can say we are 99% sure we are BSE free... Until we and the Canadians have tested to that extent- or we gain scientific evidence supporting some other diagnosis- I don't think USDA and FDA should be relaxing the border restrictions and feed requirements.

Removing rendered ruminants from all feed for a few years will be a cost to the industry-- But not removing them and taking the chance of a BSE epidemic like Britain had could be disastrous.

I also feel that the practice of feeding chickenlitter to cattle should be permanently banned-- Cows weren't meant to eat chickensh*t.

Oldtimer,

I don't know if you saw in on of the Montana AG papers a guy who was going to have a talk in Billings(about May) about BSE being linked to mineral someway. If I lived close I would have went just to see what he had to say.

I wonder how many US Huttes bought that feed from that agency? I was up in Northern MT when the news hit about the BSE cow in Dec. And they were really worried that some of the Huttes were buying contaminated feed from a unreliable company.

That's old news, OT. Last year's. Still the media is having a hayday with it, likes to put the big old coverup spin on it. But all the same any one that would feed chickenration to cattle on purpose is quite a few bricks short of a load. Can't imagine where the prices will plummet to now that this old hat has hit the media. What a bloody mess!!!!!!!!! I'd sure love to give that idiot a good swift kick in the behind.... and the CCA and the Gov't ...oh, man, the list just goes on and on... :mad:

Take care.

I have elimiated any chance of my cattle being exposed to possibly infected feeds by using only whole unprocessed grains (except cracked or rolled) and only salt and mineral supplements that are animal fat and protien free to all my animals(cows, goats, chickens, pigs, horses.) this way I dont run any risk of loosing my herd to some one elses screwup.

As i understand BSE is transmitted by ingestion of nerve tissue or from contaminated pastures, lots, etc. It is not destroyed by cooking because we had a friend of the family die of Cruzefeld Jakob Disease and I dont think he ate contaminated feed. If they had never fed sheep to cows and then cows to cows we wouldnt have BSE today. But that is done so now i feed whole grains and mix and grind them myself.

And Besides who ever heard of a cow eating A fish or a steak or a pig or any other meat product in the wild?

It just aint right.

Shelby

I have elimiated any chance of my cattle being exposed to possibly infected feeds by using only whole unprocessed grains (except cracked or rolled) and only salt and mineral supplements that are animal fat and protien free to all my animals(cows, goats, chickens, pigs, horses.) this way I dont run any risk of loosing my herd to some one elses screwup.

As i understand BSE is transmitted by ingestion of nerve tissue or from contaminated pastures, lots, etc. It is not destroyed by cooking because we had a friend of the family die of Cruzefeld Jakob Disease and I dont think he ate contaminated feed. If they had never fed sheep to cows and then cows to cows we wouldnt have BSE today. But that is done so now i feed whole grains and mix and grind them myself.

And Besides who ever heard of a cow eating A fish or a steak or a pig or any other meat product in the wild?

It just aint right.

Shelby

I agree. Pigs may be omnivorous but cattle are not. I guess the reality is though, that grain,(at least threshed grain) is probably not something that would be natural in a cow's diet in the wild either. All my beef is grass fed so there should be no risk of BSE in my herd either. Doesn't seem to make much difference to the situation, though. :roll:

I think the key word here is 'admits' . I bet this is common practice in more places than just Canada.

cattle_gal":3eu47j4l said:
Oldtimer,

I don't know if you saw in on of the Montana AG papers a guy who was going to have a talk in Billings(about May) about BSE being linked to mineral someway. If I lived close I would have went just to see what he had to say.

I wonder how many US Huttes bought that feed from that agency? I was up in Northern MT when the news hit about the BSE cow in Dec. And they were really worried that some of the Huttes were buying contaminated feed from a unreliable company.

Cattle_gal-- I have seen some of the theories put out about mineral and organic material and chemicals- I think they all need to be looked at- I think the reason the govt is backing the prion theory and feed is because since England banned feeding ruminant product, their number of infected has decreased significantly.

I have wondered about the Huttes too- Not only that they would bring in feed, but how many northern cows are coming down? Most of those colonies are closely tied to each other and some have adjoining land on both sides of the border. Also past history has shown they will "smuggle".--A few years ago it was beer, booze, and cigarettes. Don't think it would be too hard for the northern colony to slip their calves down to the sister colony south of the border.

CattleAnnie":38goqyo9 said:
That's old news, OT. Last year's. Still the media is having a hayday with it, likes to put the big old coverup spin on it. But all the same any one that would feed chickenration to cattle on purpose is quite a few bricks short of a load. Can't imagine where the prices will plummet to now that this old hat has hit the media. What a bloody mess!!!!!!!!! I'd sure love to give that idiot a good swift kick in the behind.... and the CCA and the Gov't ...oh, man, the list just goes on and on... :mad:

Take care.

CattleAnnie-- I had only heard previously that there may be many more infected animals- hadn't heard how they were determining it.--Anyway even if its old, its getting a lot of press play- can't be helping... Your CBC must be like our CBS- looking for a story at any cost.
I do see one good thing coming out of this- Both Govt.s have been slow on enacting feed restrictions and the USDA was even working to weaken ours- this may spur up the bureaucrats a little.

CattleRack Rancher............
I think the key word here is 'admits' . I bet this is common practice in more places than just Canada

...........................................................................................................
Well If they feed chicken litter, they are doing essentially the same thing .

The idea of anyone feeding chicken litter, rendered animal parts, or anything of the sort to cattle annoys me a great deal. I wouldn't think of feeding it to mine, and I'm glad I raise my own beef so I know what's in it.

Well If they feed chicken litter, they are doing essentially the same thing .

The problem is with things being what they are, there will be alot of ranchers up here looking to cut corners on their feed bill this winter. How is anyone going to police that sort of thing.

I know its going to be tough.I don,t know the answer either though.These people are between a rock and a hard place. :(

It seems like a lot of this has just snowballed. I can remember when wasting byproducts was a big deal.. where are we going to put it? We'll fill up the landfills and then what.. blah, blah. So someone got "smart" and decided to cook it use it for feed, and the rest is history. Same with the chicken litter.

I agree.. cattle were not "designed" to eat that stuff, so we shouldn't be feeding it to them in any form.

It is to bad in todays society that something like this should need to be policed. It would be poetic justice if the sob that does something like that ate his own bad beef and died from it.

Well Oldtimer you must be R-Calf member - couldn't wait to post the first reference to the canadian bse cow story - just like cbs or cbc you jump on it to further your own interests - there are those of us that will be hurt by whatever this old news item creats - while you r-calf members lie and bring everything to court you make it that much harder for the rest of us here 'in the good old usa ' to go about our daily business for christ sake give your fellow producers a break, if your cattle and beef are good they will out-compete any compittion

Latest posts