Canadian admits to feeding chicken feed to cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

river":3s61lv53 said:
Well Oldtimer you must be R-Calf member - couldn't wait to post the first reference to the canadian bse cow story - just like cbs or cbc you jump on it to further your own interests - there are those of us that will be hurt by whatever this old news item creats - while you r-calf members lie and bring everything to court you make it that much harder for the rest of us here 'in the good old usa ' to go about our daily business for christ sake give your fellow producers a break, if your cattle and beef are good they will out-compete any compittion

Well river -What do you want to do? Stick your head in the sand and pretend their is no problem? If this is such old news why has it just been picked up by many of todays US news organizations? - Articles in many of todays newspapers and Ag websites--I had definitely heard nothing about the possible exposure of 2000 head of Canadian cattle or that anyone had admitted feeding possible contaminated banned chicken feed to their cows-- This was news to me.

If you have monitored this site for any time you will realize it is frequented by many new cattle people, hobby farmers and new inexperienced rural residents-- I felt that any article that can educate and keep people from feeding their chicken, hog or even dog food to cattle could do more good than harm-- I'd sure hate to see a BSE epidemic show up in the states 5-10 years down the line because we decided political correctness came before doing everything to safeguard the US cattle herd--- And I'm sure R-CALF was well aware of this before I posted it... They have been working very hard to keep the US cattle herd safe...

Here's a little more information on the mis used chicken feed.

Canada's BSE bovine was rendered into poultry feed; U.S. clarifies feed rules

by Pete Hisey on 10/5/04 for Meatingplace.com

Contrary to published reports by the Canadian Broadcasting Company, the BSE-infected animal destroyed in 2003 was rendered into feed for poultry, according to a spokesman for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

The infected animal could have been rendered into feed that went to thousands of Canadian farms, Sergio Tolusso, feed program director, told Meatingplace.com, but most of those were poultry farms.

Tolusso blames the fact that the animal was rendered at all to a backlog at the time of three or more weeks at the testing facilities in Alberta. That backlog has since been reduced to 48 to 72 hours in plants close to major urban centers. The infected cow had been inspected and rejected as fit for human food, and a sample was taken. The animal was then mistakenly rendered.

The CFIA then instituted three sets of traces: forward in the food chain, back to the birth farm and a tracing of the feed that resulted from the rendering. Farms with cattle present that may have received the feed were visited, and the agency found possible contaminated equipment at two farms, and another case where poultry droppings mixed with feed had been left available to cattle. These farms were quarantined and the cattle destroyed.

New FDA guidelines about feed and BSE effective immediately

Meanwhile, on Monday, the American Meat Institute announced that new U.S. Food and Drug Administration guidelines prohibiting the use of any BSE-positive material in any animal feed are in effect immediately, without the usual period for public comment.

The document, "Use of Material from BSE-Positive Cattle in Animal Feed," has been issued now because, "in light of the increased BSE testing activities by the USDA, it is of public health importance to clarify that cattle that test positive for BSE are adulterated and are not to be used in any animal feed."

Take care.

Oldtimer":43vc38zp said:
Cattle_gal-- I have seen some of the theories put out about mineral and organic material and chemicals- I think they all need to be looked at- I think the reason the govt is backing the prion theory and feed is because since England banned feeding ruminant product, their number of infected has decreased significantly.

I have wondered about the Huttes too- Not only that they would bring in feed, but how many northern cows are coming down? Most of those colonies are closely tied to each other and some have adjoining land on both sides of the border. Also past history has shown they will "smuggle".--A few years ago it was beer, booze, and cigarettes. Don't think it would be too hard for the northern colony to slip their calves down to the sister colony south of the border.

I got the drift quite well while up there for 2 months on how they do a little under the cloths "shopping" in wally world too. I even got the chance to go to a colony, however it wasn't one of the forthright ones even amount huttes. I even found out how a Hutte rates the non hutte customers. By the quality of bottled wine they give people. If it's good your in good standing if it's bitter they don't think much of you. And wow that wine is more like moonshine. I really feel for those younger kids, they try to fit in so much when in town, put on base ball caps. And some hide city cloths in culverts and go to town.

oldtimers reply to cattleannie, CattleAnnie-- I had only heard previously that there may be many more infected animals- hadn't heard how they were determining it give us a break, you say you have been following and studying bse from the first may cow ,

followed by,

Don't think it would be too hard for the northern colony to slip their calves down to the sister colony south of the border.

you love to cast the seed of doubt

i'm surprised they employ you as a judge, brand inspector and lawman you conveniently forget things or make them up as it suits you
our justice system must be proud to have you in their coutrooms

river":3vlil6av said:
oldtimers reply to cattleannie, CattleAnnie-- I had only heard previously that there may be many more infected animals- hadn't heard how they were determining it give us a break, you say you have been following and studying bse from the first may cow ,

followed by,

Don't think it would be too hard for the northern colony to slip their calves down to the sister colony south of the border.

i'm surprised they employ you as a judge, brand inspector and lawman you conveniently forget things or make them up as it suits you
River, If you can remember back to his post where he said he was judge etc. you have obviously been here long enough to be registered as another name. If your going to accuse, do it under the name we know you as . Of course though, it might not be convient .

i came here to read something other than oldtimer and his r-calf buddies blitherings, they are in their glory over on ranchers.net , where he's sitting as judge in his one horsetown this week
most posts i can read without replying to and there is many i disagree with but finally got fed up and started posting
i wan't to surprised to seeee that oldtimer was here to casting his seeds of doubt
have been here lots of times reading btu have kept an open mind on opinions i can't agree with
just got really fed up with oltimers (r-calf) underhanded remarks to further his own cause is all
just call me river causse tht is what i'm only ever been registerd as

river":3e69pe1h said:

followed by,

Sorry river- but I had not seen this supposed old news about the BSE infected material going to thousands of farms before-- Only that Canada still had a problem and probably had many more infected cattle.

As far as the comments about SOME of the Hutterite colonies, the border, and smuggling activities--- I've been there - seen it. Whether they are doing cattle, I don't know-- but when you go so far as to put false bottoms and fake compartments in your grain and hay trucks to smuggle booze and cigarettes you raise suspicion..... Especially when the profits to be reallized are much more than booze will ever generate.
And cattle_gal was quite correct about the "underclothing shopping sprees"- In towns located near SOME colonies, the stores call in all their clerks when the colony comes to town--Or their merchandise all walks out the door .............But if you haven't been there, seen it, you are not going to believe me anyway.

river":3icv7lcq said:
i came here to read something other than oldtimer and his r-calf buddies blitherings, they are in their glory over on ranchers.net , where he's sitting as judge in his one horsetown this week
most posts i can read without replying to and there is many i disagree with but finally got fed up and started posting
i wan't to surprised to seeee that oldtimer was here to casting his seeds of doubt
have been here lots of times reading btu have kept an open mind on opinions i can't agree with
just got really fed up with oltimers (r-calf) underhanded remarks to further his own cause is all
just call me river causse tht is what i'm only ever been registerd as

river - You have your opinions -- I have mine-- And I'm kind of proud of my one horse town-- And as far as being Judge and brand inspector- I've also served as Sheriff- Coroner- Humane Officer- Fire Chief- Tax Collector- Jail Manager- and about a dozen other titles-- Thats one of the things about these little communities- everyone shares the duties--And we handle it quite well--and willingly-- some even look forward to the one week when its their turn to serve as the Town Drunk- except it sounds like you are handling that for us this week.

can see where you make a heluva inparshal Judge, don;t need facts cause they smugle cigs and booze so it seems they can smuggle a load of calves in false bottoms and compartments.
as a judge i suppose i should maybe be beliewving you except i do live around colonies, even have a reserve and some other cultures not to mention the good ol american boy or girl that have been caught doing the same thing
as a man of law and facts can you tell me where you have found that Canada still had a problem and probably had many more infected cattle
i have read wher ethey expect to or would not be surprised if they did find more through testing but not the exact statement you make above,
'still had a problem' 'had many more infected cattle'
would be nice Judge if you could post who said this

sorry mr. always right for my typing skills.
it may look like i've been drinking but clumsy fingers 1 key at a time plus remembering the shift key, if I was to get it all right being a beginner i would never get my thoughts typed out.
yes everyone is entitled to there opinion its just that i strongly disagree with yours and have typed that just as you strongly disagree with an open border and the usda, and all the other organizations who are working to get our export trade back at min cost to our industry and without disturbing all consumers.
in your list of things youare or have been you forgot a cowcalf / beef producer
don't forget to find the canadian official that said they still had a problem and probably had many more infected cattle

river":14yuc7hb said:
can see where you make a heluva inparshal Judge, don;t need facts cause they smugle cigs and booze so it seems they can smuggle a load of calves in false bottoms and compartments.
as a judge i suppose i should maybe be beliewving you except i do live around colonies, even have a reserve and some other cultures not to mention the good ol american boy or girl that have been caught doing the same thing
as a man of law and facts can you tell me where you have found that Canada still had a problem and probably had many more infected cattle
i have read wher ethey expect to or would not be surprised if they did find more through testing but not the exact statement you make above,
'still had a problem' 'had many more infected cattle'
would be nice Judge if you could post who said this

river- In some of your other posts you put yourself out to be an American- but your accent says you are Canadian--- Canadians have Reserves- the US has Reservations... I perceive you live north of the border on the Red river.

Good Post river:

Its good to see that some Americans can see the big picture. With China coming online in the way that they are, there will be many shortages in steel, lumber, and other building materials in the next while. These are all commodities that we have in abundance in Canada and we are currently shipping at very low cost to our neighbors in the south because of NAFTA. The more difficult you make it to trade with you, the more it is likely that companies in Canada will choose to take a path of least resistance and turn toward supplying China. Also, it takes alot of power and fuel to run factories that make steel. Currently, alot of our excess capacity in hydro and fuel go south at very cheap prices because of NAFTA. With the decrease in oil capacity of 28% caused by the recent hurricanes and our 20% contribution, I think if Alberta turned off the taps, you guys would be squirming pretty good. Fortunately, unlike R-CALF, Canadians don't kick people when they are already down. Good Luck.

Since Japan has recently found new cases of BSE.. I wonder what Japan's rules are on feed? It seems feed may/does cause it.. but why are all those wild deer getting a similiar wasting desease? I think a lot of this is just crap.. caused by the media & politics.. your more likely to be killed driving your car.. then eating steak.

your more likely to be killed driving your car.. then eating steak.

I think the problem is that its such a horrible disease for the person suffering from it as well as their family. Death in a car accident is usually far quicker.

Latest posts