Canada Wheat straw, tariff?

Help Support CattleToday:

Till-Hill

Reaction score
Will there be some tariff's on wheat straw? We usually buy our needs right at harvest for the year, will it be going up, down?

No idea on the first question, but by definition the price you would purchase it at would be higher than without a tariff.

Close up dairy cows to calving get 39# corn silage, 6.5# straw, 6# DDG, 1.75# Soybean Meal, and then their mineral.

All milking dairy cows get .5# head a day, gut buffer and straw alot more constant than any hay would be for ration changes. I also use in to bed maternity pen and our baby calf stalls. 2-3 semi loads a year is all. I do however feel wheat straw to bed with would be cheaper in the long run that corn stalk bales. 1100# $55-$75 bale of wheat straw lasts 2x as long as a 5x6 stalk bale, spreads nicer, easier to bed with too I think. Boss hates watching me bed with straw tho, all he sees is $$$$$$$$$$$!!!

It floors me that you can buy and ship it to Iowa cheaper than buying locally.

FYI, there won't be a tariff on wheat straw. If the President gets his butt in gear and puts in an auto tariff, Canada will bend over any way he wants on NAFTA as auto tariffs would cripple this country.

There's no wheat straw straw here, tiny big of oat straw to high of Potassium tho for the dry cows.
Little squares of oat straw is usually around $5-8 bale here when they bale it.

Till-Hill":251t4m21 said:
There's no wheat straw straw here, tiny big of oat straw to high of Potassium tho for the dry cows.

Yeah, that is what it is worth here.

Till-Hill":c109syns said:

I have been planting underseeded oats following soybeans. Great looking oats due to the mellow seed bed and the N credit. Issue in the past with oats profit is all the passes needed, and getting a terrible yield every 4th or 5th year. Another issue currently is that the wheat growers in the valley have gotten aggressive with large bale wheat straw sales, and a lot of the profit was in the straw. Really undercuts the price of oats straw unless you can work with horse people.

Till-Hill -- check out the pricing at Midamerican Sauk Centre hay and straw auction.

Stocker Steve":eik3seer said:
Till-Hill":eik3seer said:

I have been planting underseeded oats following soybeans. Great looking oats due to the mellow seed bed and the N credit. Issue in the past with oats profit is all the passes needed, and getting a terrible yield every 4th or 5th year. Another issue currently is that the wheat growers in the valley have gotten aggressive with large bale wheat straw sales, and a lot of the profit was in the straw. Really undercuts the price of oats straw unless you can work with horse people.

Till-Hill -- check out the pricing at Midamerican Sauk Centre hay and straw auction.
Will do, thank you

Latest posts