Can you tell me more about these calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Welcome to the forum. I'd say they're from a Hereford bull, but I'm surprised that they all seem to be chocolates. While that's not an uncommon color for a Brahman-Hereford cross, I'd expect more brindles.

And those heifers will raise some good calves with pretty much any kind of bull (as long as it's a beef breed, of course). Where are you? Your location can have a big influence on what type of cattle, and how much Brahman influence, do well.

I would say they are out of a Hereford bull
There will be some on here say you should not breed them because we have several people that post on here that do not like Brahman or Brahman cross.
SO LET ME START IT.
they are not what you need their ears are to long, way to much skin hanging from their necks, not clean on the underside, and above all they are not black, all in all you should just sell them :banana: Now all you need to do is just PM if you live close to me and I will come take them off of your hands ,the cows and the calves, then you won't have to try to find a bull.
Just a joke but they are my kind of cattle. Breed them with a low birth weight Angus the first time then I might look at a Char. bull. I think most any breed of bull you breed them to they will make that breed better. If you live where its not to cold then I don't think you can find a better momma cow than a Brahman cross. Just get a bull that will take off ear because you will find buyers don't like to much ear. I don't think it hurts them and its more of an excuse to try to dock your calves but just breed the ear down and they won't have that for and excuse. Good luck and good looking stock !! Them F1 heifers would bring a pile of money if you have them at the right place.
KB

:welcome: My guess would be Homo black white faced Simmental or Homo Black Hereford. My reason for saying is cause they are sure trying to be black. As far as what to breed them to any thing Homo Black & Homo polled. Nice heifers! JMHO B&G

Hereford, or Black Hereford Bull. IMO you'll wear out your computer and your pick up truck trying to find better mamas.

I think that if you are marketing calves at the sale barn, breed to black Angus.
Love those Brahmans! Wish that I could find some around here.

They're pretty much Hereford Brahman F1s, I'd breed back to Hereford for the first round if you're looking for replacements, the 25% Brahman 75% Hereford is by far the best beef cow for hot climates in my opinion and the steers is British enough to be in demand. Breed those 25/75s to angus or whatever other breed your heart desires for terminal calves.

If your goal is just termial calves I'd breed those F1s to charolais from the second calf onwards.

We have not heard anything back from vinmac17 I would bet he knows what kind of a bull they are out of. To many uniform calves to just come from someplace and not know something about them. Kind of looks like they were all heifers to , makes me wonder if they were not AI with sexed semen. ????
I would like to know the story behind them they look nice and you can't find them, or I sure couldn't, not that I could afford.

wacocowboy":2gyr24zq said:
I think they are out of a black Hereford or a black white face Sim. I would go lbw Angus first time then go Char on them.

Those calves have never been close to a Hereford bull unless someone pulled one in a trailer down the road.
If they were out of a real Hereford and Brahman you would have got one of three patterns Braford, Tiger stripe
or Zebra stripe.
You nailed it I am thinking crossbred baldie bull.
I wouldn't touch them to many crayons in the box for this boy.
You can bet they are carrying the African horn gene as well .
Other than an Angus over them I would be afraid of what color genes would pop out.
Those calves would cost you 40 cents a pound across the scales as well too much ear

Caustic Burno":1n5c7uxg said:
wacocowboy":1n5c7uxg said:
I think they are out of a black Hereford or a black white face Sim. I would go lbw Angus first time then go Char on them.

Those calves have never been close to a Hereford bull unless someone pulled one in a trailer down the road.
If they were out of a real Hereford and Brahman you would have got one of three patterns Braford, Tiger stripe
or Zebra stripe.
Other than an Angus over them I would be afraid of what color genes would pop out.
Those calves would cost you 40 cents a pound across the scales as well too much ear
Um....how do they cost you a 40 cents a pound if its a private sale and they're replacement heifers?

Muddy":bsp2qe8z said:
Caustic Burno":bsp2qe8z said:
wacocowboy":bsp2qe8z said:

or Zebra stripe.
Um....how do they cost you a 40 cents a pound if its a private sale and they're replacement heifers?

I'm sure he's talking bout the potential dock on their calves down the road. B&G

Muddy":192z835s said:
Caustic Burno":192z835s said:
wacocowboy":192z835s said:

or Zebra stripe.
Those are half Brahman calves. The heifers on them will make excellent cows - queens of cow country. Their brothers will be discounted. That is just the price you have to pay to get the half blood cow. The half blood cow when bred to an English (Angus, Hereford, Shorthorn) or Continental (Charolais, Limousin, Gelbvieh, Simmental) will produce an acceptable feeder calf. In my part of the world, a 1/4 or less Brahman influence calf will sell at the top of the market.

[/quote]

I'm sure he's talking bout the potential dock on their calves down the road. B&G[/quote]

You right their calves will carry the African horn gene and they will come through the barn showing nubs.
Some of the calves in the picture are already showing signs of horned.
That is a dock there is a pile of color genes in the wood pile as well and using anything other than Angus would
have the potential of hauling a box of crayons to the barn. Brangus would leave to much ear on them.
Smoke calves don't sell well here, Black, Baldies, and Yellow Baldies bring top dollar everything else takes a hit.
I would say a Char, Hereford or Angus would be a good choice on a set of real Tigers for replacements.
Those are not.
Sold every heifer out of my pasture for replacements as 1/4 to 1/8 Brimmer and I wouldn't bid on the first calf in that lot for my market.
I don't raise them to be docked.

Caustic Burno":2tw7bssl said:
That color won't bring a premium in this part of the world.
They are half Brimmer the other half is unknown crap.
:roll: you're exaggerating and acts like these calves are bad and worthless without knowing what kind the bull used on the brimmer cows... They still looks like F1 brimmer x blk Hereford or F1 black simbra to me, both will makes a good commercial momma cow. Horned or not.

Caustic Burno":t5i2wxhn said:
wacocowboy":t5i2wxhn said:

or Zebra stripe.

Isn't a Black Hereford just a crossbred baldie lol. I have never seen Black Hereford x Brahma I don't if that cross will look like a brangus baldie or something wild like the OPs heifers.

Latest posts