Can you please tell me what these are? (PICTURES INCLUDED!)

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleWoman17

Reaction score
:shock: I think these are warts? Please help! so my 1 year old black angus steer has some warts (3 or 4) on his neck. But as I was brushing him (he's shedding his winter coat) he had hair coming out and then underneath were these patches that look and feel like the warts on his neck but they are wider. And when I touch them he pulls his tummy up.. ?

Pictures are not good for me. But simply looks like "tabs". Where cow gets matted mud/manure into their hair and it forms a "tab". This time of year in the northern hemisphere, as summer approaches, they fall off.

Edited: my second look, if it is warts, they will be part of the skin. They look to have a stalk. If so, yes warts.

I think they look like ringworms. Spray some anti fungus spray on them. You can get some at any local feed store, or any athletes foot spray will work too

Photos look like those are on abdominal midline, not neck... that looks like preputial hair at right side of pic.
If that is the case, they are the typical skin lesions that we see in virtually 100% of cattle in this part of the world, as a result of a filarial worm, Stephanofilaria stilesi, the adults and microfilaria of which tend to congregate in the skin on the ventral midline. Vectored by hornflies, S. stilesi causes no significant harm, other than causing those raised scabby, hairless patches on the belly. No effective treatment (and none needed) that I'm aware of... though the macrocyclic lactones (ivermectin, moxidectin, etc.) might have some efficacy...but reinfection is virtually guaranteed.

Latest posts