Can you plant wildlife plots seeds for cattle and horses to to graze

Help Support CattleToday:

Newcutter

Reaction score
Can you plant wildlife plot seeds for winter pasture for cattle and horses to graze and if so what mixtures??

I planted Radish on some short grazed area this fall. Can't tell much about it yet. Will graze it in late November but already seeing deer in it.

Look at this one. Ray's crazy fall mix. Or just rye grass and cereal rye. Somewhat depends on your location. Also how you plan to seed it. Ryegrass will generally sprout with a little moisture if it touches the dirt. Some seed types must be covered to sprout - preferably with a grain drill. May require small seed box on the drill for best results depending on seed type.

Yes. Done it for 50+ years. Cows would get to graze wildlife foodplots after the end of deer season.

Just got done discing about 15 acres of crop fields to cover crop for wildlife and spring haying - 50#/acre, each, of covercrop wheat and cereal rye, then overseeded about 15#/acre annual ryegrass. Probably will be a good 'volunteer' crop of white clover, from the soil seedbank, but will probably also 'frost-seed' some red & white clover and timothy in Feb, as these are going back to permanent hayfield/pasture.

Can you buy wildlife plot seeds already mixed and plant
Yes, you can from a lot places. Your local feed store may have something pre-mixed. just make sure to watch the mix doesnt have too many bloat causing legumes for the cattle. I don't know anything about dietary needs for horses so the above is pertaining to cows.

I drilled about 200 lbs of the Ray's crazy mix about 2 weeks and with some good rains afterwards. Covered about 5-6 acres and expect to have a really good turnout by Christmas week. Green Cover Seeds have a similar mix at a better price, so I'll be checking them out for future needs.

I have been using multi species mixes to graze horses and cattle for about ten years...
My local feed store has a summer mix and two fall mixes that we created and he sells a few tons of seed from these mixes every year. I do not recommend the mixes to other horse folks because horse folks are so funny about their feeds and feeding. I do lots of small paddocks and frequent moves....horses just polished off the last of the summer plots this week....I sowed a late season cool mix on two paddocks two days ago by broadcast....mixed up seed for five more yesterday....I am using ten or 12 species on my mixes....rains this fall have given me some of the best stands I have had in a few years. I will go out and broadcast in the rain....if I can get there I will mow and drag tires behind the mower to shake seed down to the soil and give a little litter cover and break up manure piles....with good forage the cow manure will be soupy.....horse still give you biscuits and need scattering...no lime or fertilizer in over ten years now....took some pictures a few weeks ago....will try to find one...

Attachments

• horse paddocks early Oct 2020.jpg
    horse paddocks early Oct 2020.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts