Can you have Jerseys as pasture mommas?

Help Support CattleToday:

SmalltimeOkie

Reaction score
I have been contemplating the idea of getting some jersey or corriente heifers to put on my pasture and breed to a Brahman bull just to make 1/2 Brahman mommas to breed back to a nice black bull.

Can jerseys be out on a pasture without being milked or will that cause Mastitis and other issue?

I have been contemplating the idea of getting some jersey or corriente heifers to put on my pasture and breed to a Brahman bull just to make 1/2 Brahman mommas to breed back to a nice black bull.

Can jerseys be out on a pasture without being milked or will that cause Mastitis and other issue?
@farmerjan or @MurraysMutts would be the best to answer your question about just raising their own calf. I wouldn't use Corrs for that 3-way cross. If you gonna buy Corrs, just go ahead and get a homo for polled and black bull to breed to them, to get the most valuable calves. Raising your own 1/2 Brahmas to breed to a black bull...you looking at 2 and 1/2 years before you have a calf to sell. I'd go ahead and buy Braford or f1 Br x Herf cows to breed the black bull to. If you are just dying to breed your own 1/2 Brahmas, then get Hereford cows instead of Jersey or Corriente. Still looking at 2 and 1/2 years before you have a black calf to sell. The Br x Jer or Br x Corr steer calves will not bring much at the sale, and the Br x Herf steers won't bring a lot more, But, Br x Jer heifers sell well, and Br x Herf heifers are the highest selling commercial replacements you will find.

No, I would not use straight jerseys just out to pasture with one calf. 99% of the time they will have way too much milk, even if on just pasture, for only 1 calf. She will get mastitis and then you lose at least one quarter or more. The calf will prefer one or 2 teats and the others will not get milked/sucked and she will get mastitis.. could make her sick enough to even die from it... or she could get sick and just dry up in all quarters.. or she could have one or 2 quarters get infected and then they have been known to occasionally burst from infection... and sometimes they just get mastitis and the affected quarter or quarters just are bad from then on. If you were to put them on just pasture, I would want them to have at least 2 calves on them... and grafting a calf often takes some time and effort in the beginning... and right now baby calves here are bringing in the $500-1,000 range... yes, totally nuts.... even jersey baby bull calves are bringing 2-300 each.

As had been said it's generally not very practical to run straight dairy breed cows under beef cattle management.
That being said half Jersey 1/2 Angus or Hereford can make some good cows. They will still milk heavy but not as much as a straight Jersey

Bessie and Dapples both run on pasture only during the summer. Both have 2 calves on them.
Bessie is a joy to work with. Dapples not so much but it can be done.

A good easy going jersey still requires some time and effort to get calves grafted. Even the best nurse cow that'll take any calf. The issue is the CALF remembering who it's new mama is!

Usually a week or two penned together is all that's needed. ONCE the calf is nursing regularly. That's where the time and effort come in.

No, I would not use straight jerseys just out to pasture with one calf. 99% of the time they will have way too much milk, even if on just pasture, for only 1 calf. She will get mastitis and then you lose at least one quarter or more. The calf will prefer one or 2 teats and the others will not get milked/sucked and she will get mastitis.. could make her sick enough to even die from it... or she could get sick and just dry up in all quarters.. or she could have one or 2 quarters get infected and then they have been known to occasionally burst from infection... and sometimes they just get mastitis and the affected quarter or quarters just are bad from then on. If you were to put them on just pasture, I would want them to have at least 2 calves on them... and grafting a calf often takes some time and effort in the beginning... and right now baby calves here are bringing in the $500-1,000 range... yes, totally nuts.... even jersey baby bull calves are bringing 2-300 each.
Okay, that was my concern. I could just get some jersey heifers for cheap so I figured it was worth an ask. I don't really have the time or the setup to graft calves onto a Jersey. I could probably manage it with one or two but not more than that.

@farmerjan or @MurraysMutts would be the best to answer your question about just raising their own calf. I wouldn't use Corrs for that 3-way cross. If you gonna buy Corrs, just go ahead and get a homo for polled and black bull to breed to them, to get the most valuable calves. Raising your own 1/2 Brahmas to breed to a black bull...you looking at 2 and 1/2 years before you have a calf to sell. I'd go ahead and buy Braford or f1 Br x Herf cows to breed the black bull to. If you are just dying to breed your own 1/2 Brahmas, then get Hereford cows instead of Jersey or Corriente. Still looking at 2 and 1/2 years before you have a black calf to sell. The Br x Jer or Br x Corr steer calves will not bring much at the sale, and the Br x Herf steers won't bring a lot more, But, Br x Jer heifers sell well, and Br x Herf heifers are the highest selling commercial replacements you will find.
The cattleman I bought my Brahman bull from had some br x herf heifers and they were absolutely beautiful animals. I am really trying to avoid the input cost of something that nice though. Kinda in the same boat with herefords. I'll probably end up going the corriente route. Maybe I can piece together a herd or 20 or so solid colored corriente mommas for cheap then go spend some money on a nice bull.

IMG_2006.jpeg

F1 Brahman Jerseys
The Jersey dams were AIed to low birthweight CE Brahman bulls.
Do this right and it's a winner wrong a train wreck.

View attachment 46022

F1 Brahman Jerseys
Beautiful animals. Sounds like the only reasonable way for me to accomplish it would be to find a Jersey dairy locally and make a deal with them. Buy the AI straws for their cows and buy the babies off them or something like that. Probably more trouble than it's worth tbh.

I'll probably go the corriente route just to limit my input costs until I've been doing this a few years and get some experience as to what in the world I'm really doing 😂

Beautiful animals. Sounds like the only reasonable way for me to accomplish it would be to find a Jersey dairy locally and make a deal with them. Buy the AI straws for their cows and buy the babies off them or something like that. Probably more trouble than it's worth tbh.

I'll probably go the corriente route just to limit my input costs until I've been doing this a few years and get some experience as to what in the world I'm really doing 😂
It's not that hard pick up some jerseys and pay someone to ai with sexed semen.
It's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a quality Brahman bull.
Second you will make real money with those girls in my market area of the world.
Few years back Buffalo Texas barn had a sale of about a hundred they were fighting over them.
There is actually a YouTube of it out there.

Start SMALLER....

Just buy one or two GOOD QUALITY animals. Cheaper is not always better. With just a few really good animals you can sit back and ENJOY what you do have. I speak from experience...

Start SMALLER....

Just buy one or two GOOD QUALITY animals. Cheaper is not always better. With just a few really good animals you can sit back and ENJOY what you do have. I speak from experience...
So what does quality look like in a Jersey? I assume backline and feet? Can you tell how the udder will turn out with a heifer?

Time is your friend to decide a game plan. As of right now it sounds like you are all over the place.

Like CB said, you can buy those F1s, even if it's one or two. You will have some thing to watch in the pasture and can buy more when you cash those checks.

You get what you pay for on input costs.

So what does quality look like in a Jersey? I assume backline and feet? Can you tell how the udder will turn out with a heifer?
About all ya can do is see what dam and sire are. Heifers are always a toss up to me. But if buying off the farm, you've got a good shot at seeing what they came from.
Be better to find some 2nd calvers already bred. Very hard to find with a jersey!! Because anything that's good, won't be leaving the farm usually.

I have been fooling with Corrientes for over 30 years, raising pooled, black calves from them. I make more money with these, then anyone can with any other type cattle. BUt, I will tell you a Brahma x Corr is just about worthless. A straight Corr calf would be worth even more as roping stock. I have met one man who did this cross, He is a stock contractor for junior rodeo. Or high School rodeo or LIl Britches..I can't remember which. He wanted to come up with a smaller Plummer-type bucking bull. If you want to get Corrr cows and be successful, sell the Brahma bull and get the best registered Angus or Brangus bull you can afford. You don't have to get all solid colored Corr cows either if you have a good quality, homo for black and polled bull. Even better, no more than you will have, just AI them to best Angus or Brangus bull on the market.

But if your heart is set on raising Br x Herf heifers, then do what @MurraysMutts advised. You may can get 3 Corr cows for what a Hereford cow will costs. But, a Brahma x Herf heifer will sell for at least 3 times more than a Br x Corr calf will. An open, f1 BR x Herf heifer will sell for enough money for you to buy maybe 2 Hereford cows, or close to it.

If you have 10 or less cows, I would sell that Br bull and just AI everything. You can sell that bull for enough money to get some good Hereford cows. Heck, buy 2 Hereford and 2 Corr cows. AI the herf to Brahma sexed for female semen, and AI the Corrs to sexed for male Angus/Brangus semen. You can get $1500 or better for the black steers at weaning, and use the money to buy more cows. Sell those two for $3k, buy a good Herford cow for $1500, another Corr for $500, and you get $1000 to cover expenses that year. Next year , you will have 3 Ang x Corr steers, to sell for $4500, and 3 more Br x Herf heifers. Won't take very long to get your herd of f1 cows, and you won't have to spend too much more, if any, money over what the Brahma bull brought.

View attachment 46022

F1 Brahman Jerseys
What do these F1 crosses do for milk production ? Can they lean towards being heavy producers similar to the Jersey, or do they hit in between as a moderate milker ? I have know idea where the brahmas fall as far as milking ability.

I have been fooling with Corrientes for over 30 years, raising pooled, black calves from them. I make more money with these, then anyone can with any other type cattle. BUt, I will tell you a Brahma x Corr is just about worthless. A straight Corr calf would be worth even more as roping stock. I have met one man who did this cross, He is a stock contractor for junior rodeo. Or high School rodeo or LIl Britches..I can't remember which. He wanted to come up with a smaller Plummer-type bucking bull. If you want to get Corrr cows and be successful, sell the Brahma bull and get the best registered Angus or Brangus bull you can afford. You don't have to get all solid colored Corr cows either if you have a good quality, homo for black and polled bull. Even better, no more than you will have, just AI them to best Angus or Brangus bull on the market.

But if your heart is set on raising Br x Herf heifers, then do what @MurraysMutts advised. You may can get 3 Corr cows for what a Hereford cow will costs. But, a Brahma x Herf heifer will sell for at least 3 times more than a Br x Corr calf will. An open, f1 BR x Herf heifer will sell for enough money for you to buy maybe 2 Hereford cows, or close to it.

If you have 10 or less cows, I would sell that Br bull and just AI everything. You can sell that bull for enough money to get some good Hereford cows. Heck, buy 2 Hereford and 2 Corr cows. AI the herf to Brahma sexed for female semen, and AI the Corrs to sexed for male Angus/Brangus semen. You can get $1500 or better for the black steers at weaning, and use the money to buy more cows. Sell those two for $3k, buy a good Herford cow for $1500, another Corr for $500, and you get $1000 to cover expenses that year. Next year , you will have 3 Ang x Corr steers, to sell for $4500, and 3 more Br x Herf heifers. Won't take very long to get your herd of f1 cows, and you won't have to spend too much more, if any, money over what the Brahma bull brought.
Thank you for the detailed advise! My heart is not set on anything. I'd love something that is lower maintenance that will keep the grass eaten down and turn a profit.

Just haul them to the vet and have the vet AI them, or is that something somewhat manageable on my own?

Latest posts