Can you ground to a pipe fence?

Help Support CattleToday:

Talin

Reaction score
Quick ? Tough getting ground poles into drought ground can I ground to a pipe fence? Sure looks enticing already metal in ground

We live in cen cal and it's pretty dry, you can ground to anything you want as long as you test your ground with dvom Tester ground. Fence a few hundred foot away then go to ground rod put one lead on ground other lead into a new dirt ground volt meter should read less than 2kv if it reads more then you need more ground rods. Here in Cali I have 3 8ft ground rods all in hard pan ....it was no fun

Thanks I will try the fence if not the sledge hammer no rain for 3 weeks and 100 high today definetly no fun here

If its that dry you need to put a bucket or water with a small hole in by the post your grounded to so it has moisture to work. Another thing if you ever have to put a ground in even if the ground is soft it's easiest to get a little hole started and pour a little water in it then just keep jugeing the rod in an out while adding water. Works unless you have rocks in the ground.

Talin":27xzen5d said:
Quick ? Tough getting ground poles into drought ground can I ground to a pipe fence? Sure looks enticing already metal in ground
How deep is the pipe fence? You can ground to a steel post barb wire fence but you have to be careful if the wire is nailed to a tree.......the tree is more like ly to get struck by lightning and knock out your charger.
If you have a PTO post hole digger, I like to dig a hole with it as deep as I can then put the ground rods in the hole, then take a 2x4 a few feet long and drill a hole in close to the end about the size of your ground rod and have some one hold the rod with the board and you drive it on in with a sledge hammer.
You will have a hole that you can hold water if you need to soak it during dry times.

Yes, a pipe fence would make a good ground system. Just make sure you get down to bare metal.

Latest posts