Can you get worms/parasites from cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

ozarkbulls":zzl0b5sp said:
Called my vet, say he's at lunch, which means he's gone for the day!

I'm curious to find out how you did it. Maybe a shyt eating dog licked you in the mouth?

As I understand it the internal parasites are species specific, not sure about lice but ticks you can share. Since ringworm is a fungus you sure can get it from them

I've accidentally dosed myself with pour on a few times. Maybe that's why I never had that problem. Lord knows I got plenty of others.

Yes, but the only name I can come up with right now is the bovine tapeworm. It's acquired from eating infected beef but most people can sustain a couple tapeworms without weight loss - still, cook your meat! (Tapeworm from swine is different and does cause major problems.) Most parasites are species-specific for a normal life cycle, however, many parasites can infect other species and larvae end up places they don't belong (usually brains, eyes, spinal cord). Dog roundworms -> human eyes, raccoon parasites -> horse brain, etc.

milkmaid":e38sklcw said:
Yes, but the only name I can come up with right now is the bovine tapeworm. It's acquired from eating infected beef but most people can sustain a couple tapeworms without weight loss - still, cook your meat! (Tapeworm from swine is different and does cause major problems.) Most parasites are species-specific for a normal life cycle, however, many parasites can infect other species and larvae end up places they don't belong (usually brains, eyes, spinal cord). Dog roundworms -> human eyes, raccoon parasites -> horse brain, etc.
State of Texas called us one time...seems a packer cow when slaughtered was found to have HUMAN tape words in her. Gentlemen said they probably came from the mexican boys taking a shyt n the cow feed.

We had a tb scare a few years ago. They killed a few cows and started testing the employees. About half the employees had been exposed and everyone got pretty scared until someone pointed out the employees that had been exposed were all born in mexico... All of the cows came back clean.

milkmaid[b:l6nrt19m said:
":l6nrt19m]Yes, but the only name I can come up with right now is the bovine tapeworm. It's acquired from eating infected beef but most people can sustain a couple tapeworms without weight loss [/b]- still, cook your meat! (Tapeworm from swine is different and does cause major problems.) Most parasites are species-specific for a normal life cycle, however, many parasites can infect other species and larvae end up places they don't belong (usually brains, eyes, spinal cord). Dog roundworms -> human eyes, raccoon parasites -> horse brain, etc.
I don't think I care to sustain any of them even if I didn't lose weight. :shock:

Ignorance is bliss, but I'm inclined to agree with you Ryder. That said, not everyone thinks that way...

FATtapeWorms.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Latest posts