can you feed without harm?

Help Support CattleToday:

coon hunter

Reaction score
Hi I am new here and have a question about feeding day old milk to my cows . I am not a cheapskate but am trying to hold on to the cows that I have . because of the hay shortage I am feeding corn stalks and day old bread a friend runs a milk route he told me that he could get lots of day old milk if I could us it . Will this harm my cows in any way? thanks

Try to drink it yourself, if it stays safely inside, it is safe for the cows too. If they do not finish it quickly you have a hygiene problem on your hands. Give it a try.

whats a good price for corn stalks bails?
do they have any protein value?
thanks

As far as I know (which isn't much!!!) The only animal to drink milk after being weaned are humans and they don't even drink human milk.

Most animals like cats and dogs are lactose intolerant and should not be given milk except for special kitten/puppy milk.

Horses should not be given milk, but people do give them powdered milk, that doesn't mean it is good for them. There is also a recipe going around that has milk in it for horses for sand colic, but it is because it makes them ill that it is supposed to work.

I have no idea about cows. But mad cows disease was from giving them meat.

skyclean":1sl6iakr said:
whats a good price for corn stalks bails?
do they have any protein value?
thanks
don't waste one dollar. Apply any money that you would consider spending on corn stalk bales towards a complete feed.

Im puzzled. Nothing wrong with trying it, but what nutritional value would you be getting out of it? Guess Im kinda dumb and don't even know whats on the milk jug other than calcium and maybe Vitamine D.

My dog drinks milk. Of course very small % per body wt compared to me, but sourvives. Big doeses could be diffferent. Like I say unless there is a signifacant TDN (food value) to it, I don't think Id waste my time. White colored water in one respect. Might make you spend more money trying to fix an oops.

Suzie Q":26m0x76l said:
As far as I know (which isn't much!!!) The only animal to drink milk after being weaned are humans and they don't even drink human milk.

Most animals like cats and dogs are lactose intolerant and should not be given milk except for special kitten/puppy milk.

Horses should not be given milk, but people do give them powdered milk, that doesn't mean it is good for them. There is also a recipe going around that has milk in it for horses for sand colic, but it is because it makes them ill that it is supposed to work.

I have no idea about cows. But mad cows disease was from giving them meat.

Seen lots of house cats drink milk. Brother would squirt them in the mouth straight from the tit, cow's tit that is, very good shot. My dogs love it but only get the sour stuff. Had a neighbor that got old dairy products that he fed to a bunch of hogs. My mom would fatten a hen with buttermilk and cornbread.

Yes and I have seen videos of cats getting milk squirted at them straight from the cow.

Lactose intolerant doesn't mean that they don't drink it. It means they can get diarrhea from it and so you don't really want to give them milk that is enough to give them diaarhea and then have them in the house.

Suzie Q":25dyxvqi said:
Yes and I have seen videos of cats getting milk squirted at them straight from the cow.

Lactose intolerant doesn't mean that they don't drink it. It means they can get diarrhea from it and so you don't really want to give them milk that is enough to give them diaarhea and then have them in the house.
I guess every dairy I'veever seen must have a problem. Most of them never feed the barn cats but they sure belly up to a pan for some milk. We alwasy used to give the dogs a pan of milk at each milking, the only affecrt I saw was that they got fat as ticks.

One of my chores growing up was to milk the family cow. Every morning and evening the cow would be waiting at the gate and the cats waiting at the hitching post where I milked. The cats would sit next to me and patiently wait with mouths half open and tounges half out looking for a squirt. Always fed them a pan too. The days we didn't need the milk, I just mixed some ground corn in it and fed it to the hogs. They got real fat along with cats. Now that I think back, should have just baked that hog slop and might of had cornbread or fried it for hush puppies and fritters.

dun":36kdm9h3 said:
Suzie Q":36kdm9h3 said:

I guess every dairy I'veever seen must have a problem. Most of them never feed the barn cats but they sure belly up to a pan for some milk. We alwasy used to give the dogs a pan of milk at each milking, the only affecrt I saw was that they got fat as ticks.

That's been my experience, too. Dogs and cats got some milk every milking. If they got diarrhea we never saw any evidence of it, although they never came into the house. If there was any milk that couldn't be sold we'd give it to the hogs, when we had them. They loved it and it never bothered them in any way that I ever saw.

That said, my wife doesn't give her dogs milk because it can give them the runs but she does give them cottage cheese. Supposed to be good for their coats.

Some people, and I suppose some animals, can't handle raw milk. Some can't handle any dairy products at all. That doesn't mean it's bad for everyone.

As far as giving milk to older cattle, I have no idea what the effect would be as we never did it. I'd think a vet or a nutritionist could help on that one.

I've never know anyone that fed milk to mature cattle. I suppose they would drink it to satisfy thirst. I'd skip this offer unless I wanted to raise some hogs and then the hogs would just get blubbery fat and flies would be thick as fleas. Suzy I've never seen a dog or cat turn down a treat of milk and no adverse affects and don't worry about the lactose intolerance.....it's greatly overblown.

thank you,
i am in Idaho and hay is high up 240 per ton
winter is coming i have some hay and corn to feed my cows. I was trying to buy some corn bales is a filler
money is short and winter is about 5 to 6 months.
there is some guys offering bales for $4.00
thanks

skyclean":180t5hkn said:
thank you,
i am in Idaho and hay is high up 240 per ton
winter is coming i have some hay and corn to feed my cows. I was trying to buy some corn bales is a filler
money is short and winter is about 5 to 6 months.
there is some guys offering bales for $4.00
thanks
As long as you can supplement the corn stalks you should be fine.

Latest posts