can you ever...

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
Not make a desicion to make one? Lately it seems I go back and forth on everything i decide, double guess myself, and still wonder when I make a desicion if its gonna work out alright.

GMN

GMN":1cx7jfic said:
Not make a desicion to make one? Lately it seems I go back and forth on everything i decide, double guess myself, and still wonder when I make a desicion if its gonna work out alright.

GMN

Yes. Most definitely. Its called sitting on the fence and I do it a lot.

Jogeephus":3riylvn6 said:
GMN":3riylvn6 said:

GMN

Yes. Most definitely. Its called sitting on the fence and I do it a lot.

Just remember all you get out of that is a sore crotch.Also another saying that is usually true is think long think wrong.

GMN":3rtx5gq4 said:

GMN

Sounds more like you are planning rather making decisions. I have concluded than planning is a waste of time (other than finding a way not to do something). By the time I decided to carry out a plan, I no longer remember what it was. If I do remember, once I get started I rarely execute it as planned as I will immediatly realize a simpler easier way of doing something. Decisions are made at the spur of the moment, like when the wheels fall off the plans.

Just do what needs to be done. That's my plan. :p

GMN":337b4f1y said:

GMN

I do it all the time, always second guess myself.

Its been bad around here the last couple of years to try and plan anything long term- every time I make a big decision all the rules/factors change. Makes you a little goosey after getting your legs kicked out from under, on well planned moves one right after the other.Seems like the last two years the best decisions I have made were the ones to do nothing- lost the least on those :)
Plus I think getting older makes each decision more critical- theres not near as long to recover from a bad one. I've lived on the edge for so long that now I'm looking for some stability.
The small day to day decisions are still easy.

Your post could mean a lot of things. When it comes to big decisions that deal with a lot of money I find it helpful to humble myself and ask a lot of questions from others to get different points of view. Sitting on the fence gives me time to look at the big picture and not just the nuts and bolts of a problem. I'll ask what seems like dumb questions at times just to gauge the quality of my counsel. Once I've looked at every aspect, shot holes in the plan, examined every possible escape route, looked at the down side, tossed out my personal bias and wants - I'll listen to my gut. If my gut says to do it - I'm in it full bore. Nuts and bolts type problems will work themselves out but its the big picture you need to concern yourself with not the small stuff. JMO

GMN":37govsoz said:

GMN

Absolutely! Life is an ever changing field of play - spend enough time going back and forth on making a decision, and circumstances change, situations evolve, the decision is made for you, and you're stuck with dealing with/cleaning up the consequences. I truly believe that a bad decision is better than no decision, because at least you are still in charge and have proactively taken action to resolve a situation.

GMN":fbagsbgw said:

GMN

The abstract decisions are the hard ones to make. This is the reason why CEOs get paid the big bucks. My boss is an excellent abstract thinker. He makes me like a little leaguer. There are also levels to decisions like chess moves in a chess game that can be projected prior to making initial decisions. For example, say we have a boolean decision that needs to be made. The possible solutions are "yes" or "no". This is simple because there are only two possible solutions. However, if we add another boolean layer to each possible "yes" solution and each possible "no" solution, we may have a tendency to delay a little even though there are only four outcomes. Each branch of a boolean solution increases rapidly. Now then, let's say there are a billion possible solutions depending upon which decisions we make early on. The best solution becomes abstract and it becomes more difficult to have a high degree of confidence when making a decision.

Deciding is not a problem. Perhaps I am set in my ways. Likely from bad experiences based on past bad decisions.

I can make desicions in a hurry. Sometimes that are not the best but there are to many things to get done to sit around and ponder.

Last p.m. somebody asked me to bid on a load of pipe. I jumped on it without seeing. They took my bid. It was a good thing I didn't see it first because I would have bid twice as much. It is surplus and still sitting on my trailer in the pasture. Two people have already asked, "What do you want for it?"

Jogeephus":2ucau6jo said:
Your post could mean a lot of things. When it comes to big decisions that deal with a lot of money I find it helpful to humble myself and ask a lot of questions from others to get different points of view. Sitting on the fence gives me time to look at the big picture and not just the nuts and bolts of a problem. I'll ask what seems like dumb questions at times just to gauge the quality of my counsel. Once I've looked at every aspect, shot holes in the plan, examined every possible escape route, looked at the down side, tossed out my personal bias and wants - I'll listen to my gut. If my gut says to do it - I'm in it full bore. Nuts and bolts type problems will work themselves out but its the big picture you need to concern yourself with not the small stuff. JMO

Very well said, I do the exact same thing. :nod:

I can be on the fence about some thing for a while because I do not feel I have all the info I want/ need to make the decision. There is a difference between thinking things thru and being wishy-washy though... which I can not stand.

Difficult question because there is no single answer for every type question.
Most important thing is to keep in mind what you want the outcome to be.
Then collect and consider all pertinent data (information).
Next step, if you have time, is WAIT. Get your mind on something else and let the subconcious work on it. Then many times the answer will present itself to you.

Once the decision is made, focus on your objective. Do not concern yourself with second guessing.
But do not refuse to look at new information.

I like both of the latest responses above.

BTW I am a terrible shopper. "Do you like the color and who makes it? Does it fit?" "What's the problem?"

Latest posts