Can you butcher cattle with brisket disease?

Help Support CattleToday:

JerseyLuver

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, sorry if this question has been asked before. I tried a search and couldn't find anything.

I had someone give me a big cow that had a huge brisket. She was huge and breathing hard. I don't think she would have lasted very long in the summer months. I was scared to eat it and my neighbor asked me for it, they have a lot of kids and don't have much money so I gave it to them. I told them what was wrong with it and they said they didn't care. I did call a butcher for them to see if the butcher would do it for them and the butcher said they would but the organs would not be edible. My friends didn't want to spend the money so they just took her and did it themselves. They cut it up in quarters and said it tasted fine.

Since then I have heard from some of my friends that you should not eat a cow with brisket disease. I haven't been able to find anything about eating one on-line yet.

Last week I was given another really nice cow with brisket. She's not that bad at all and is breathing and getting around fine. Might be the colder weather but she looks like she would be OK for awhile but you can see the swelling in her chest.
I have another friend who could use some meat. But I was thinking about taking it in and having it done right and splitting the beef. I just want to be sure that I won't get sick or get anyone else sick. I am giving the meat away but with liability laws the way they are I would like some opinions about it. Plus I don't want to waste my money if the meat would be no good.

Thanks ahead of time..............

JerseyLuver":2wtuxemp said:
Hi Everyone, sorry if this question has been asked before. I tried a search and couldn't find anything.

I had someone give me a big cow that had a huge brisket. She was huge and breathing hard. I don't think she would have lasted very long in the summer months. I was scared to eat it and my neighbor asked me for it, they have a lot of kids and don't have much money so I gave it to them. I told them what was wrong with it and they said they didn't care. I did call a butcher for them to see if the butcher would do it for them and the butcher said they would but the organs would not be edible. My friends didn't want to spend the money so they just took her and did it themselves. They cut it up in quarters and said it tasted fine.

Since then I have heard from some of my friends that you should not eat a cow with brisket disease. I haven't been able to find anything about eating one on-line yet.

Last week I was given another really nice cow with brisket. She's not that bad at all and is breathing and getting around fine. Might be the colder weather but she looks like she would be OK for awhile but you can see the swelling in her chest.
I have another friend who could use some meat. But I was thinking about taking it in and having it done right and splitting the beef. I just want to be sure that I won't get sick or get anyone else sick. I am giving the meat away but with liability laws the way they are I would like some opinions about it. Plus I don't want to waste my money if the meat would be no good.

Thanks ahead of time..............

Where are you located????????????
Unless you are above 8000' elevation what you are seeing is NOT "Brisket" disease.

Cattle living at elevations above 5000 feet are at risk, and the incidence of brisket disease increases at higher elevations. In thinner air of high elevations, low oxygen availability triggers the problem in susceptible cattle, and the heart tries too hard to supply blood to the oxygen-starved body tissues.

There are other diseases that mimic high altitude disease (including parasites, congenital heart disease, locoweed poisoning, etc.) and it can often be difficult to differentiate them. In some ways they are the same because the end result is congestive right heart failure. Locoweed can have cardiotoxic effects. Brisket disease is merely a disease of the lungs that leads to congestive heart failure, and has a genetic predisposition. The other diseases, in the long run, may still result in congestive right heart failure, but have nothing to do with genetics.

Do the cattle have any Traveler blood?

The first time you encounter Brisket Disease (also called Dropsy and High Mountain Disease) in the pasture, or a similar malady in the feedlot, your emotions are likely to range between wonderment and hopelessness.

At first, range cattle appear weak and lethargic but they have no fever. Next, the telltale swelling starts to appear in the brisket and the abdomen. Soon after, those cattle die unless they're diagnosed and treated quickly.

For pasture cattle bred and raised above 5,000 ft., or for those cattle moved to the high country for summer grazing, veterinarian Tim Holt says, "It can easily affect 3-10 percent of a herd." In his practice at Town and Country Animal Hospital in Gunnison, CO - 8,000 ft. elevation - Holt has seen High Mountain Disease (HMD) impact as much as 60% of a single herd. He has specialized in HMD for 20 years.

In the feedlot there's a disease with similar symptoms to HMD that some veterinarians prefer to call Right Heart Failure (RHF), since it works differently than HMD. It's just as devastating, however, and there's no practical way to treat it, even if it's diagnosed. The best you can hope for is getting them to the locker plant before their symptoms become so pronounced that they're condemned.

"We lose probably close to 150 head with it each year," says Dave Sjeklocha, a veterinarian and cattle manager at Farr Feeders in Greeley, CO. Although the feedlot sits at about 5,000 ft., Sjeklocha doesn't believe the RHF problems they encounter have anything to do with altitude. He explains, "Based on what I've seen, I'm not convinced Feedyard Brisket (RHF) has the same causative agents as High Mountain Disease."

How It Works In The Pasture Above 5,000 ft. elevation, Holt explains all mammals, including humans and cattle, respond to lower levels of oxygen by shunting blood to the upper portion of the lungs where there is more oxygen. Although this shunting process is normal, cattle experience an exaggerated response through a process called vasoconstriction, which in turn results in pulmonary hypertension. Compounding the problem is that cattle have lungs that are too small relative to their body size.

At the same time, Holt explains cattle also experience a process whereby the small pulmonary arteries thicken, reducing the blood flow into and through their lungs. This process is called pulmonary arterial hypertrophy (PAH), and is the heritable portion of HMD.

The exaggerated shunting of blood into the lungs, combined with the level of PAH cattle inherit, results in pulmonary hypertension. This often results in right heart hypertrophy and congestive heart failure. That's what kills them.

If diagnosed early, Holt says most cattle experiencing HMD can recover if they're moved to elevations below 5,000 ft. However, some lung and heart damage may have already occurred.

Holt also teaches ranchers how to treat cattle affected by HMD by draining the pleural effusion out of the animal's cavity. This fluid results from congestive right heart failure. Without treatment, accumulation of this fluid causes rapid heart failure.

Holt says HMD can be treated with many of the drugs used in human medicine, but their practical use in cattle is limited by their high cost.

"Cattle that are genetically susceptible to HMD are more prone to developing the disease in the presence of any other respiratory factors such as asthma, pneumonia, lung worms and chronic cold temperatures, which all add to the hypersensitive state," he says.

That's the good news. HMD brought on by altitude can be managed and reduced through genetic selection. Holt explains the PAH that can result in RHF is highly heritable (more later).

While altitude might be a contributing factor to RHF in the feedlot, Bob Glock, DVM and director of the University of Arizona Diagnostic Laboratory, says feedlot cattle that succumb to the disease end up on the back side of the oxygen curve, but for different reasons.

"In the feedlot, cattle at some point develop this huge rumen and are constantly full, and they develop fat that occupies body cavities," Glock says. "Like humans, it takes more pressure to pump blood, and the hypertension can develop at lower altitudes because of these complicating factors."

Even so, the same genetics at work with HMD may contribute to RHF in the feedlot. Sjeklocha says, "It has been my perception that 90 percent of the Feedlot Brisket we see in this yard is in cattle that are black haired and black hided." That's not tossing mud at any breed. Holt points out there are sweeping genetic differences within breeds and between them.

Underscoring this genetic notion in the feedlot, Sjeklocha explains they can bring native cattle out of high country and have no RHF problems. Conversely, they can buy native cattle out of the Kansas Flint Hills, as an example, and see all sorts of RHF problems.

Managing Around Brisket RHF may be futile to treat in the feedlot, but genetic selection can lower the incidence of HMD at pasture-level.

"By utilizing Pulmonary Artery Pressure (PAP) testing, it is possible to predict which animals are experiencing PAH (blood flow resistance) and are susceptible to developing pulmonary hypertension," explains Holt. Moreover, since the PAH is at least as heritable as weaning and birth weight, producers can begin managing the challenge by using bulls with low PAP scores (see table 1).

The PAP measurement is taken by inserting a catheter through the jugular vein, then measuring the mean blood pressure in the jugular, ventricle and pulmonary arteries. To get an accurate score, Holt says cattle need to be at least a year old and should be at an elevation of at least 5,000 ft. for a minimum of three weeks prior to testing.

Plus, the higher the elevation when cattle are tested, the more accurate the PAP score. Holt and other researchers have tried to emulate chronic oxygen stress for PAP testing at lower elevations, but he says it just doesn't work.

At 8,000-9,000 ft. and a year of age, Holt says the test is virtually foolproof. Even at only 5,000 ft., he says the test will never yield a false high score.

David Danciger takes PAP testing an extra step at his TY-Bar Ranch in Carbondale, CO. In 1984, he began working with Holt to PAP test every bull and female on his ranch and has tested every calf since.

At $15/head, that takes commitment. But, Danciger says, "If you don't test the cows, you only have half the picture." By the end of this year, he will have PAP scores on 1,800 head of cattle.

Of course, there's a payoff. Danciger has no HMD in his herd, and customers buying his Angus bulls and females can select for PAP scores that go back generations. "It really helps sales. Customers don't have to PAP test the bulls and that has helped us a lot," he says.

Short of testing both sides of a pedigree, making PAP scores part of balanced bull selection can pay dividends. John and Zoe Albert of Moffat, CO, longtime TY-Bar customers, began using only bulls with a PAP score of 40 or less 10 years ago. Since then, HMD in their herd is mostly a memory. Before, John says they would usually lose at least one cow and calf to the disease each year.

"Every animal is different. We can have bulls that never develop the disease, but pass the susceptibility on to calves that contract the disease and die from it," says Holt. In the commercial herd, to accelerate the selection away from HMD, Holt suggests using bulls with low PAP scores, then testing any females retained as replacements.

"Testing is becoming more popular every year," says Holt. "Because of the market, it's becoming increasingly important to producers who are even close to high altitude."

Specifically, more commercial producers at high elevation want the information before they buy bulls, and commercial producers at low elevation want to know the risk before sending cattle to high country. For perspective, Holt PAP tests about 5,000 head each year.

Even with testing, Holt says, "I don't think it will ever become less challenging. As the cattle industry keeps changing, the number of AI sires tested for HMD just isn't there."

And too, there is the less defined RHF challenge in the feedlot. Sjeklocha says, "There is definitely a growing concern, and if we are going to eliminate it, we will have to address it through sire selection. I think it's important we address it fairly quickly."

This was an article titled "Faint Of Heart" from the Oct.1 1999 Beef Magazine. I don't think anything has happened very quickly. If anything I bet the problem is worse today than it was then.

Ned do you have Dr Holt test your bulls?

The Angus bull I am using on my Gelbvieh's came from the Ty-Bar ranch mentioned in this article. Since it was written they have actually developed an EPD for PAP.
I felt like if I was going to offer Balancer bulls for sale in the mountains I had better use a sire that came from that background.

For what it's worth we see other signs associated with "Brisket" besides a swelled brisket, including a very foul smelling green watery diarhea, and a general malaise that's hard to describe but once you have seen it you will always recognize it as brisket.

The 2 cows I have gotten have both come off a feedlot. I didn't pay much attention to the first one I got but this one has normal poop and doesn't smell bad. I guess I will take her to the vet to get an exact diagnoses.
But whether it is Brisket or Heart Failure can you butcher either one of them? I could understand if they were nasty or sickly but this one is clean and acting fine, she just has that swelled up brisket.
BeefHeifer1.jpg

BrisketCow.jpg

Got the picture to load and you can see her chest.

If you have her processed, the meat may end up costing you more than you realize just because she doesn't have much muscling (meat on her).
Our butcher charges a kill fee in addition to the per pound cut/wrap/freeze fee & inspection fee (it is a USDA inspected facility).

What feed lot did she come from? My daughter lives in that area.

I got them from a friend in Hereford that works at a feedlot. I usually buy calves from him for my cows and sometimes her gets on the feedlot culls. I don't know he pays for them but the 2 I got cost me gas only to get them. I have seen them go through an auction years ago and they went for very little too.

As far as getting my moneys worth I am really just planning on giving most the meat away, I thought about keeping a little but I have a friend who needs it more than I do. Since this is a small one though what you said makes sense as far as cost.
BUT if I have a chance to get a larger much fatter one I would still like to know if the meat is edible. I'm not rich by no means but if I can get these cows for next to nothing and then give the meat away to people I know that need it I think it would be a good thing.
I have friends that drink, smoke and such and if I gave them money, they would just waste it on nonsense things and it wouldn't go to help their children. I would much rather do something that will go for the entire family. We used to give our venison away and was hoping this would just be something I could do.

So does the cow look like she has brisket by the pictures?

Thanks

Off the subject, but I just wanted to say what your doing is noble. I'm sure its appreciated by those on the receiving end

Thanks Hooknline, I like to help my friends when I can. I just don't want to get anyone sick. I am kinda surprised that no one has a specific answer though if it were brisket. I mean they have so many warnings about withdrawals with meds for eating and milk. Milk cows I am much better with, beef cows not so much. They are a little wild for me. But I do have a lot of fun with them plus it's good for my children to learn this stuff. :wave: