Can You Believe This????

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl580

Reaction score
http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=1faaed2c-0902-4c23-8d9a-52c47e6bd24f

Can you believe this? Makes you wonder about some people doesn't it?

Here is a statement from the family.

"The parents of Nathaniel Darnell, special minor child accused of assault, release the following statement to the press.

We do not, cannot, and will not deny our son's accuser (Glenda Schiltz) her right to due process just because we disagree that this criminal case is the best thing to modify the future actions of and outcomes for our son. We have not, nor has our precious son, denied his action and poor behavior. We have not anytime in our son's three year academic career hidden the fact that our son is a child with multiple disabilities, both emotional and mental. We only deny that our son has NO worth and no equal protections, due process, or civil rights. We were and are angered that the actions taken were seen as the only way to help a child with multiple emotional and mental disabilities. We believe that our son can learn nothing from this action except that he is "different" and that he is undesirable and separate.
We have simply asked the school, going on a third year now, to provide a free, affective, and appropriate education for our son, yet he has not advanced a grade nor advanced his educational goal. We find it ironic that when you demand what the United States Supreme Court has already repeatedly told schools they must supply, you become a trouble maker who is unreasonable. We simply ask after two years, and now going into a third when are we supposed to become worried about our son's long-term outcome. Autism has a window of opportunity in formative years and must be both CAUGHT and SERVICED to yield better outcomes. We contend that 45 minutes a day of special instruction is nothing close to intense intervention. We too contend that we have asked repeatedly for alternative placement inside the school only to be told the "law" says he has to be in a normal classroom.
We want our son's accuser to know that after many tears and much searching for belief that humanity is not gone from mankind, we realize that she is just a soldier in a battle. We hope for her sake that she hasn't been used as a diversion to the root causes that have lead to her incidence with our son.
We believe and allege that our son has been denied civil rights, due process, equal protections, a right to self-determination, and even self worth by some people and some policies in his school district and if not the policies then their failure to follow them.
Contrary to the superintendent's statement to the media, we believe that in whole the district is a good school system, and even submit that for students without special need it is very, very good. We, indeed have three other students who thrive there and are exceptional students. We simply say that some employees there that work with children who need extreme assistance and patience may be feeling that they are forced to work harder than they are paid to work and that may lead to disdain for those they claim to serve. Still, even if the problem is pay or funding, we all, as parents, citizens, and as advocates both for education and special children have a right and a duty to make sure this isn't the case. We hold that our son and other witnesses have allegedly seen denial of his rights and mistreatment of his person. Would any of us be better parents if we did not ask for answers when such things occur? If the problems are rooted in the above then we all must ask is the above criminal or is it all to ride on our son? This nation must soon look at the laws commonly called "zero tolerance" and at our education funding policy with eyes that politics cannot glaze. How can our nation reward, monetarily, a school for improving its test scores yet, not have oversight to make sure that it isn't an incentive to push problem and special needs children away. Then ask our leaders how a set of laws---again known as zero tolerance---- can be so easily, without regard for the sanctity and sanity of families, used as a means for this push away form dignity and rights. Columbine and all other such tragedies that drew forth these laws were tragedies that sickened and terrified everyone with a stake in education and rearing children. Still, as loving parents, we will scream ( even to the detriment of our persons) out to whoever will hear that our six year old child, who performs at the development of a four year old and who is mentally and emotionally troubled also in other ways, was not at those tragedies and will not pay for them. Laws cannot serve their purpose if they are not used for their purpose. Why is common sense so uncommon? The Darnell Family issues and supports all the above."

here is a link to the school's website. http://www.bracken.k12.ky.us/education/school/school.php?sectionid=3062

I found the statement from the family incredibly verbose and it will probably not impress people much. It is difficult to read and difficult to follow. That's too bad, because there are some good points in there.

I will be surprised if the charges against the little boy hold. I am wondering how that school's program is structured and what the responsibilities and duties of the assistants are?

i skimmed the response because it was so long. i just thought i'd include it anyway. :)

at the school here, we have a 6 or 7 year old autistic child in my daughter's class. the parents of the child get with the students and teacher's in an assembly and basically tell them this is what he has thank you for your help and spell it out for people. that seems to work well here. there is an aid in the class that has either majored or is majoring in special education and is purposely put with that child in the classroom. just from the article, i can't tell if they have done any of that. i guess we'll find out.

As a person who has worked for over 11 years with people with developmental disabilities, I can tell you that you will get hit, pinched, shoved, kicked... You have to be the adult, the one in charge, the one who can keep her cool.

We have to take a course on verbal and physical intervention every year. It sounds to me like this staff has power issues and should not be working with students that have special needs.

I got hit yesterday by a student who is autistic. I had caught him eating cookies that the class had baked for our school's dance team. A sub teacher had left him alone which she should not have done. That was my fault for getting our signals crossed. Once I found him, I walked with him to the gym for a pep rally. He tried to leave, he was yelling and jumping around. I told him that he could choose to participate in the pep rally, or he could choose to maintain his behaviors, which would force me to refer him to the office.

He then sat on the steps beside me, and, in an attempt to talk me out of referring him, he put his hand on my shoulder. I asked him to take his seat, that I was not interested in talking to him until after the pep rally, and to please remove his hand because it made me uncomfortable. (He's pretty touchy, and I have been working on appropriate physical boundaries with him)

He then hit me on the arm with is fist. I referred him to the office for further discipline.

Could I file charges? Yes. Would that do anyone any good? No.

Special needs kids can be a nightmare to work with. We go through similar stuggles every day. You just have to be the adult, be calm, and get students to realize that the consequences they face are due to their actions, not from some outside person making them miserable.

You don't argue with them, cause they will outlast you. You don't shout at them, you don't let your mouth write checks that you can't cash. You must be firm and consistent.

This woman has no business working with these students.

After reading the news article, I'm at a loss for words. All I can do is shake my head and wish the world were a better place. I have no experience with "special needs" kids, except for two or three I remember in school many years ago, so I'm not one to talk, but I can't believe anyone would file charges against a six year old in this situation.

And to you, Lammie, I say God bless you!

VanC":2bjnc4ig said:
After reading the news article, I'm at a loss for words. All I can do is shake my head and wish the world were a better place. I have no experience with "special needs" kids, except for two or three I remember in school many years ago, so I'm not one to talk, but I can't believe anyone would file charges against a six year old in this situation.

It maybe a protection issue for the teachers/school/aid.

I got a good friend whose wife teaches special needs children. They had a issue posted in the paper questioning her. In the end the dust settled and she came out on the just side. He told me it is a burn out job where most folks go into it trying to make a difference. It seems sometimes parents create a lot of problems.

Wewild":2axjdh22 said:
VanC":2axjdh22 said:

I got a good friend whose wife teaches special needs children. They had a issue posted in the paper questioning her. In the end the dust settled and she came out on the just side. He told me it is a burn out job where most folks go into it trying to make a difference. It seems sometimes parents create a lot of problems.

That is totally true, Wewild. There area supportive parents who are easy to communicate with, so you are all on the same team. Then there are parents who cannot believe anything bad about their child and who prefer to blame staff for everything imaginable. Been there, done that.

Most of the difficult and hard to please parents do not take part in school activities, volunteer or encourage their children to participate in activities like Special Olympics. Go figure. They want to b*tch and moan, but they don't want to help to change what they consider to be a bad situation.

I can't imagine a school that would encourage a teacher aid to file charges against a 6 year old. Maybe a 16 year old.

My other thought was that the school this child attends does not want to deal with him, and this is the way they are trying to get the parents to take him elsewhere. Don't think that does not happen. It does. Autism still freaks a lot of supposedly educated people. There are schools that don't want to deal with it.

that was kind of my thought too lammie. that and maybe the parents need to review the school's better before placing their child there. they may not have another option if its the only school near them, but they still need to meet with the school and make sure they understand the autistic child's needs. it still blows me away though.

Lammie":1f1v7rmc said:
I can't imagine a school that would encourage a teacher aid to file charges against a 6 year old. Maybe a 16 year old.

My other thought was that the school this child attends does not want to deal with him, and this is the way they are trying to get the parents to take him elsewhere. Don't think that does not happen. It does. Autism still freaks a lot of supposedly educated people. There are schools that don't want to deal with it.

My friend wife teaches young kids. The parents didn't have any problem creating problems for his wife which were found to bewith out cause.

When I first started teaching it was with special needs children, I got bitten by a Downs and she drew blood, after a shot and stich at the Hospital that was that, no need to bring in the authorities, you take that chance when working with these children. They are so adoreable and loving it is hard to stay angry at them. Although ablebodied can be just as bad sometimes.

chrisy":1qfj9djc said:
When I first started teaching it was with special needs children,

How long did you stay in it? I think three years is the time frame I heard.

Wewild":148de3y2 said:
chrisy":148de3y2 said:

I stayed five years, wouldn't have left then only I was expecting my first child. When I had him, which I unfortunatly lost. I could not face working with children for a while and took an office job. Hated every minute of it, after my second baby, my Daughter who is 30, went back to teaching in a Private School, stayed in that job for 12 years, left when I had my Son, and then minded children at home from the time he was 10 months until May this year. He is 18 now.

chrisy":3hchp1ju said:
Wewild":3hchp1ju said:
chrisy":3hchp1ju said:

I stayed five years, wouldn't have left then only I was expecting my first child. When I had him, which I unfortunatly lost. I could not face working with children for a while and took an office job. Hated every minute of it, after my second baby, my Daughter who is 30, went back to teaching in a Private School, stayed in that job for 12 years, left when I had my Son, and then minded children at home from the time he was 10 months until May this year. He is 18 now.

I'm sorry for the loss of your first child.

5 years would have been the answer I asked for.

I hope the 18 year old is well and thrives. I see more about you now than before. Do they have a draft where you are?

Wewild":13ahojai said:

I would bet that is exactly the case. I doubt this was his first assaultive episode.

That is no small 6 year old, if you were prohibited from restraining him I'd wager he could black and blue you nicely.

If this situation is not handled correctly just wait until he gets a little more size on him and starts pounding people.

Schools are oblitated by Federal Law to offer equal education opportunities for all children in an environment that is as close to regular education as possible. They don't get to pick and choose students. Not public schools. Even if a child requires his own teacher in a seperate classroom, the school will provide it, including PT, OT, Speech Therapy, Dietary Therapy, Audio/Visual Therapies... Needless to say, that is a big drain on schools, even though they do get to bill Medicaid for it.

But I know that in spite of all that, schools to get away with getting rid of some students. I have been to meetings representing a community organization where I worked, and heard schools flat out lie to parents about their rights.

Latest posts