Can we talk car tires? Ugently?

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
I am needing new tires DESPERATELY. I have always "preferred" Michelin's. My car that I need them on came with Firestones (HATE). Ok here's the rub.

My tire size is 235\55\17 = EXPENSIVE!

I would like some input.... I do ALOT of driving, and have to drive in miserable (WISCONSIN) conditions for many months of the year. The problem I am finding with these tires, is that maybe no matter what I get, due to the size I am going to get sucky traction in the snow and slush.

If anyone can point me in the correct direction, I would be greatly appreciative! I am about at the end of my rope and it is getting REALLY tight :(

Thanks all!

Michele

I have 17 inch wheels too and they are expensive. I will be needing new tires soon, as well.

i had rather have a set of worn michelins then a new set of the other's... sure they cost more initially but you get nearly almost "double" if not more than double, wear compared to some. that 17 inch tire is kinda oddball right now they'll get cheaper

That new crossover the boss lady is driving has 20 inch wheels and not much tire. They put those on the new trucks too. You sure can't find a load range E or heavier. Why in the world are they so expensive when there is not much rubber on them at all? You are only buying about half a tire and they cost about 3 times as much!

backhoeboogie":p2d0sd75 said:
That new crossover the boss lady is driving has 20 inch wheels and not much tire. They put those on the new trucks too. You sure can't find a load range E or heavier. Why in the world are they so expensive when there is not much rubber on them at all? You are only buying about half a tire and they cost about 3 times as much!

Cost 800.00 dollars to put four tires on the Crossfire. They were 1100.00 and we got them on sale. Another reason to hate that car. :devil2:

Lammie":2g84x16k said:
backhoeboogie":2g84x16k said:

Cost 800.00 dollars to put four tires on the Crossfire. They were 1100.00 and we got them on sale. Another reason to hate that car. :devil2:

$1100 ??? I could put new tires on the backhoe for that.

backhoeboogie":3p8mt2ws said:
got beefier side wall's

I could buy Michelin tires for a semi cheaper than I can get them for my car. Tell how that makes SENSE!

Michele

because we spend so much of the year in the deep freeze, we have 2sets of tires and rims for the everyday car. Winter and all seasons. All seasons are good, but in the winter on the ice and snow winter tires are best.
We have blizzack from firestone. They are good and have lasted a long time, this is their 5th and final season.
I will admit hubby did alot of research on the internet on winter tires.
I will never be without my winter tires in the winter again. I like them. As for the all seasons, not a clue.

alacattleman":2jjortac said:
backhoeboogie":2jjortac said:
got beefier side wall's

No. I checked. The sidewalls are less than they are on my Laod Range E truck tires, there is 5 3/8 inch less side wall, and about 1/2 inch less width. Much less rubber, less load rating etc. The only thing there is more of is price.

GM puts Bridgestone or Firestone on their new trucks, at least that's what has been on my last 3. I can tell you that is some BAD tires, flats in the worst places and 20 thousand miles their shot.
I started using Cooper 10 ply about 15 years ago, advised by an old MT rancher. My last truck I traded for new Coopers now past 50 thousand miles and have had no flats and their in good shape. I drive a lot of miles on chipped rock roads.

You are not going to get really good traction in snow or slush no matter what kind of "car" tires you have. Only knobby type tread, or studded tires will help with that. (mainly put on trucks, or 4-wheel drive vehicles.) You should try being down in my area when the ice gets on the roads. Not fun at all.. time to stay home when that happens. That site that John gave you is a good one, I have used it a few times to check out tires. My wife has some Goodrich Traction T/A's (16's)on her car, and they have been really good. (not saying her driving is, but the tires are) :nod:

mnmtranching":2ah57c3c said:
GM puts Bridgestone or Firestone on their new trucks, at least that's what has been on my last 3. I can tell you that is some BAD tires, flats in the worst places and 20 thousand miles their shot.I started using Cooper 10 ply about 15 years ago, advised by an old MT rancher. My last truck I traded for new Coopers now past 50 thousand miles and have had no flats and their in good shape. I drive a lot of miles on chipped rock roads.
im a ASM at a chevy dealer. we get more pi$$ed off customers over tire's than anything.. we have more trouble with goodyear integrity... and the continental truck tire's, their bad too get flat spots on the new ones just sitting on the lot ....rotation is the life of a tire espcially on the 4WD"S........GM would be better served too go strait michelin

Latest posts