Can someone please tell me

Help Support CattleToday:

kslady

Reaction score
What age do you quit bottle feeding a calf? And can you tell the difference between a calf that's been bottle fed and one that had a mother to care for it?

You stop bottle feeding when the calf is eating grain well. If he isnt eating enough, then keep him on the bottle. As far as telling them apart, I have never seen anything different, except maybe better health later in life and higher weight if they were on a cow, then on a bottle.

kslady":ftmko9al said:
What age do you quit bottle feeding a calf?

Different people do things differently... I quit bottle feeding just as soon as I possibly can. If I can get them on grain and they're growing well, I'll wean between 6 and 8 weeks. I've even weaned at 5 weeks. Some folks will bottle feed until 6 months. For me, the biggest thing is to get them eating grain; you can't quit feeding milk if they don't have another source of nutrition, and that matters more than just the age of the calf.

And can you tell the difference between a calf that's been bottle fed and one that had a mother to care for it?

Most of the time you can, because most people don't raise bottle calves right... but if the bottle fed calf is raised right and given proper nutrition, you shouldn't be able to see a difference. IMO a bottle calf can and should be able to look every bit as good as a cow-raised calf.

When a bottle calf begins eating2 pounds of feed daily, then I BEGIN weaning it off.

Alice

If the calves are heifers and I'm going to keep them for replacements, I keep them on milk longer so I can get the growth. The twin Brahman heifers I weaned at 4 months or thereabouts. Like Milkmaid suggested, they need to get on feed as soon as possible so you CAN wean earlier.

You can generally tell a bottle fed calf, as they tend to be rangy and pot bellied. They usually aren't as growthy as a cow raised calf.

kslady":2n130gsb said:
What age do you quit bottle feeding a calf? And can you tell the difference between a calf that's been bottle fed and one that had a mother to care for it?

I generally keep mine on a bottle until they are at least 2 months old, but it depends on the calf. Whether or not you can tell a difference depends entirely on the skill of the person raising the calf - usually, but not always, a bottle calf has a pot gut, tends to be smaller, and is overall poorer(is that a word?) doing than a calf on its mother.

TheBullLady":2wut9fry said:
If the calves are heifers and I'm going to keep them for replacements, I keep them on milk longer so I can get the growth. The twin Brahman heifers I weaned at 4 months or thereabouts. Like Milkmaid suggested, they need to get on feed as soon as possible so you CAN wean earlier.

You can generally tell a bottle fed calf, as they tend to be rangy and pot bellied. They usually aren't as growthy as a cow raised calf.

wow, twin brahmans. you dont hear that often. i want pictures. where you been lately, bulllady?

I've never seen Holstein heifers raised on a cow, but I doubt vary seriously if they would do any better then a bottle/bucket raised calf that's weaned around 8 weeks at any dairy.

dun

dun":z5n8hjtm said:
I've never seen Holstein heifers raised on a cow, but I doubt vary seriously if they would do any better then a bottle/bucket raised calf that's weaned around 8 weeks at any dairy.

dun

I raise some of mine on nurse cows... I usually wean them a little later (between 12 weeks and 4 months) than I would wean a bottle calf, and no, there really isn't any difference in growth.

In fact, all my heifers of breeding age are bred except for the three 850lb'ers that I can't get to settle, and they're the ones that were all raised on the same nurse cow last summer. :roll: Go figure. All the other heifers (except one) were bottle-raised.

4-6 months.

Poor nutrition, lack of sunshine and lack of physical touch can all cause bottle calves to have that bottle look. Give your calves high quality milk replacer for as long as you can afford to do so, leave them outside as much as possible, groom them and give them some friends. In other words, the more you take on the role of a mother cow and give them a normal calf life the more they will look and behave like a normal calf.

Victoria":esavm5fy said:
Poor nutrition,

That pretty well sums it up. Too often when people wean them from the bottle they discontinue or at least cut back on the grain ration also. The grain consumption has to continue and gradually increase as they get bigger.

dun