can she be bred to a bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

txffamom

Reaction score
IMAG0355.jpg
[/url][/img]

I hope the picture posted correctly, although it's not the greatest picture.

Her bottom has been large since the day she was born, and it has grown with her. She is not cycling. It gets puffy and swollen when she is cycling.

She is 1100lbs, and is 14mos old.
Is it ok to put her in with a bull?

txffamom":1ok4f9dq said:
[/img]

I hope the picture posted correctly, although it's not the greatest picture.

Her bottom has been large since the day she was born, and it has grown with her. She is not cycling. It gets puffy and swollen when she is cycling.

She is 1100lbs, and is 14mos old.
Is it ok to put her in with a bull?

If she is that big at 14 months she needs a diet ASAP. Then get her bred. That big she has gotta be on full feed and if that is the case she will have problems calving or even getting bred. Either way she is plenty big enough but she should be cycling already.

You're right, she is on full feed, but she isn't fat. She has a big frame and carries the weight well. She has also been cycling for the last 7 mos.

It's all the extra skin in that area that im concerned about.

txffamom":lqs1po38 said:
Yep, she would have some skin also. Do you have others the same breed to compare her to on the property?
Personally, I would not worry about it unless she tears or does not take.

shadyhollownj":3bmw2b8z said:
If she is that big at 14 months she needs a diet ASAP. Then get her bred. That big she has gotta be on full feed and if that is the case she will have problems calving or even getting bred. Either way she is plenty big enough but she should be cycling already.

She is not too big for her age. Just don't keep her on full feed.good luck.

txffamom":36fy6yb4 said:
Her mom has a bit extra, but has only been AI'd.

The other one has a "normal" amount of skin.

Thanks for your help.
My Brangus have really flabby vulvas. Some more than others. I had a pic of one a while back on my phone, but have since deleted it. Darn, I could have posted it for comparison. If I find another, I will.

Ohiobeef I guess she is the right size if her moms 1700 lbs if you figure 65% mature weight at 14 months. In my hereford world of 1200-1300lb cows she's enormous.

shadyhollownj":3lx0j1ni said:
Ohiobeef I guess she is the right size if her moms 1700 lbs if you figure 65% mature weight at 14 months. In my hereford world of 1200-1300lb cows she's enormous.
She's right about where my Brangus are at that age. Over 1,000- 1,200 on my yearling weights. :D

Why would anyone wanna spend the $$ to get them that big that quick unless for slaughter? Definitely not neccasary for breeding. Don't anyone even try and say u get em that big that quick on grass.

piedmontese":6x7ll5wc said:
Why would anyone wanna spend the $$ to get them that big that quick unless for slaughter? Definitely not neccasary for breeding. Don't anyone even try and say u get em that big that quick on grass.
I AM going to say, my cattle DO get "that big" on GRASS. I have large frame cattle that are easy fleshing. I also have extremely good grass. I have spent many years breeding for the type of cattle that I like. (Don't really care if you like them or not.) Many years, I am able to pull my cattle out of the pasture and haul them to a show. I can not speak for the OP. But I am speaking in all honesty about my cattle.
Below is a grass fed yearling bull at the state fair last summer.
[URL
varies016_zps28932fb7.jpg
[/URL]
Here is a 2 yr. old first calf heifer. Also grass fed.
[URL[img]http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11/branguscowgirl/varies027_zpseb37092e.jpg[/img][/url]

And Pied, I take offense to your comment of, "Don't anyone even try and say u get um that big that quick on grass." Because I do, they are bred that way. :D Be happy to send you more photos and weights.

Backbone Ranch":1jddkyyi said:
That is one heck of a yearling. The heifer looks really good too.
Thank you!
She was Reserve Grand Champ. cow calf. (Calf was only a couple weeks old.) Bull was Champ. Summer Yearling.

Your cattle do look good BrangusCowgirl, and that's coming from someone who doesn't particularly like either brahman or angus :) I figure mine are about 950 at breeding, 1100-1200 at first calf, and 14-1500 lb mature with the GV.

As for staying on topic... I wouldn't breed her to a billy goat, boar pig, or ram, so a bull it'll have to be :) it's time for her to be bred, and the bull shouldn't care much about how her bottom looks

Latest posts