can she be bred to a bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sry, branguscowgirl, I didn't mean to start a thread that would upset anyone. You answered it earlier, but I simply wanted to make sure it wouldn't harm her to put her in with a bull, considering the extra fleshy vulva.

Simbrah cattle tend to be large framed, fast growing cattle.

This calfs mom was 1800lbs the week before she calved and had been on only hay for the last 3 months. Born 5 days before the expected 283, it was her first calf, took on the first AI, and calved exactly when the vet said she would...when we quit watching. So you will never convince me that we aren't raising healthy cattle.

The cow is bred back and again, took on the first try AI, and will be calving in about a month by breed date, but I think it will be sooner. She is bigger now than when the first calf was born, so I'm excited to see what she does.

While I know it's easy to beat up show families, and my daughter shows, but we don't really fit into that mold. My daughter was given her first calf (the mom I'm talking about), and due to her work ethic and dedication has managed to accomplish the things I talked about.

My daughter strives to raise healthy animals and could care less if there is a banner involved. The cow had some faults that needed a little rework, so she chose a bull to help with that. The calf proved what effect genetics has on a level she had not seen before. The calf isn't perfect, but if she is gonna hang around, she has to go to work too.

Thank you Nesi.
We do tend to get off topic a bit........I just can't stay quiet when someone is insinuating my cattle are not what I say they are. :x

I was actually kinda referring to myself getting off topic as well.. I do that pretty easily. All mine see only grass as well, and some with the dairy shorthorn influence always look like boneracks... I just clipped Cenci, the daughter of my old granny, and she's got a build to her... a few heiferettes tried to pick a fight, and with the fresh clipping, her hind end looked like that of a draft horse. My cows have the misfortune of not having grass for as many months as yours.. I'm sure they'd be jealous

txffamom, Please don't think it was your thread that "upset anyone." I really don't get upset, more like irritated when people get sarcastic about other peoples cattle and how they do things. :yuck: (Happens a lot.) I am the first person to "crack jokes." Joking is different.
Enough of that! Your cattle sound great, and I would love to see some pictures! :D

I'm ok with off topic...I'm not ok with insulting remarks when I asked a simple question.

Nesikep...I'm sure he won't mind what it looks like, I just wanted to make sure it wouldnt do more damage than good. While they are big pets, if I hafta work, so do they...:)

You're cattle are gorgeous, branguscowgirl...if we had a pasture with anything but clover that bloats them, we would leave her out and save on feed more often.

Ttt

txffamom":1gocpxx1 said:
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=79275

Maybe the link is good...it's to kind of a running post with pics.
They are beautiful! I love their face markings and her two white back feet! I really like them. They are like Brangus with some color. Thanks for sharing.

Nice pics.. in the 2 hour old pic I spotted momma cleaning up the placenta.. slurp slurp.. Calf does look good.. Like mother like daughter with the identical blazes

txffamom":29s8byhn said:
IMAG0355.jpg
[/url][/img]

I hope the picture posted correctly, although it's not the greatest picture.

Her bottom has been large since the day she was born, and it has grown with her. She is not cycling. It gets puffy and swollen when she is cycling.

She is 1100lbs, and is 14mos old.
Is it ok to put her in with a bull?

Only one way to find out

Turn her out

It is that simple

Bez

Thank you all for your help and comments. Her last show is Friday night and looks like she will be turned out to learn to be a cow on Saturday. For a first try, we're gonna put her in with a low BW Angus bull and see how it goes.

I am a little late on this one, but wanted to add that we have a 2/25/13 born half blood Simmental heifer (WAGR Target x SAV Density angus cow) that weighed 1145 on 3/15/14. We went ahead and AI'd her on 3/22 to KHLER Make It Rain, a calving ease Simmental bull. So, at 13 months old she was bred, and will calve at 23 months (if she stuck). She is on 8 pounds of creep feed daily, and grass hay (until the grass comes in). She is just a big heifer, thus why we bred early. I think with your management (from previous posts), you will be fine breeding her now. She is plenty big enough. Not all breeds are equal, and not all cattle within a breed are the same. That is why it is best when breeding heifers you look at frame size and weight more than actual age.
Good luck!

Latest posts