Can pigs swim?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
I know it's a cattle forum, so that's why I placed this in the Coffee Shop, and cause I'm sure I'll catch some ribbin for asking. Can pigs swim? Or, the more appropriate question is; Will they swim? Nobody has been able to answer this question with any degree of certainty. My reason for wanting to know is because I wanted to locate them (4 pigs we feed out for meat for ourselves and other family each year) on a peninsula at my pond. Panels accross the peninsula, with water on three sides. Panels extending out into the water about 12 feet, where water depth is about 4 feet.
So, I'm just curious if this would work. They would have shade all day (big willows), obviously plenty of water for wallowing, fresh water hauled daily, and feed twice daily. The area is about 30 feet wide 70 feet long. Seems like it would be a pigs paradise, so I'm wondering, if they can swim, do you think they would swim?
Any comments appreciated, even jokes and sarcasm are welcome, even if you think I'm doing it all wrong.

absolutely they can and will. out here by where the shuttles go up, its over run with pigs. right next to the launch facility is a body of water called mosquito lagoon. while fishing there over the last 20 years i have seen pigs swimming across many times.

Okay, well ya'll just took the wind out of my sail. I now realize it was a stoopid question, but I've never seen nor heard of a pig swimming, and just had to know. Thanks everybody, I'll go with the old standby that's worked for years.

Yea there's not much that will stop a pig . I wonder how those,two pigs faired in Montana .

JSCATTLE":1u0snylk said:
Yea there's not much that will stop a pig . I wonder how those,two pigs faired in Montana .

I always thought that once they made it to Montana, they eventually became bear poop.

lynnmcmahan":m0qp8047 said:
I don't know of any animal that cannot swim. Do you?
Nope...they do say that although the hippo spends most of the time in water it can't swim properly, but don't hold me to that as I'm not sure it is true...also the land Tortoise is not supposed to be able to swim.

lynnmcmahan":13h1loa4 said:
I don't know of any animal that cannot swim. Do you?

Yep. An armadillo. You can catch them by the tail and throw them in a lake and watch the bubbles come up where they're walking on the bottom. Sometimes it takes them awhile but they will eventually walk out.

Who said kid's can't find anything to do? :lol:

My dad told me when I was a kid armadillos couldn't swim . But they can . They will swim the first few times across the creek but they get smart and walk on the bottom .after you throw them in a few times. Lol

JSCATTLE":1ph5qzej said:
My dad told me when I was a kid armadillos couldn't swim . But they can . They will swim the first few times across the creek but they get smart and walk on the bottom .after you throw them in a few times. Lol
Amradillos definitely can swim. Amazing that for most animals it's instinct...humans have to be taught.

baleflipper":2tqyhjrj said:
Armadillos Swim well they just dont dodge cars too well. Thats why they are getting scarce.
Getting scarce? come on up here and get all you want to replenish your supply

baleflipper":128yoizh said:
Armadillos Swim well they just dont dodge cars too well. Thats why they are getting scarce.

That's exactly why the chicken crossed the road...to show the armadillo that it COULD be done. :lol2:

I've thrown literally hundreds of them in the lake and have yet to see one swim. When the rivers flood here there will be hundreds of them drowned laying around when the water goes down.

upfrombottom said:
I've thrown literally hundreds of them in the lake and have yet to see one swim. When the rivers flood here there will be hundreds of them drowned laying around when the water goes down.[/quo
I've seen them swim . But they can't see well river might come up to fast for them .our creeks and rivers flood I've never noticed dead armadillos afterwards. I have seen several drunk ones hit by cars . You can tell by the beer bottle on their nose .

JSCATTLE":1si4azh2 said:
upfrombottom":1si4azh2 said:
I've thrown literally hundreds of them in the lake and have yet to see one swim. When the rivers flood here there will be hundreds of them drowned laying around when the water goes down.[/quo
I've seen them swim . But they can't see well river might come up to fast for them .our creeks and rivers flood I've never noticed dead armadillos afterwards. I have seen several drunk ones hit by cars . You can tell by the beer bottle on their nose .
I have never seen em drowned after a flood either here in our part of the world we have flash floods and in a few hrs the water is down
Where Ol Upfrombottom lives they can get a 2" rain and have a milllion acres under water for 3 weeks
heck it don't even have to rain down there just has to rain in Illinois, Missouri or a few states north of them and they will flood

upfrombottom":31g8gjv7 said:
I've thrown literally hundreds of them in the lake and have yet to see one swim. When the rivers flood here there will be hundreds of them drowned laying around when the water goes down.
Like some of us I suppose they can't swim forever either.

Latest posts