Can not get a 1st calf heifer to eat

Help Support CattleToday:

kwsuggs

Reaction score
I have a 1st calf heifer that calved on 6/12/11 and then prolasped, she did clean the calf right away even with the prolaspe. The vet came out and sewed her up everything looked good other than the calf did not nurse. We had to feed the calf dried colostum on Monday and finally got her to nurse from mom on Tuesday but the cow is not producing any more milk and we cannot get to eat our graze she still seems traumatized or something. i am still trying to keep the calf and mom together but still having to bottle feed. any suggestions on getting this cow to eat and perk up to nurse this calf.

Thanks,
Kevin in SC

We had one like this last year except I think we had pulled a live calf from her in a fairly easy pull. She did not prolapse. The heifer never took another mouthful of grass or water but walked about slowly and would let the calf suck her. Despite injecting her with everything that might be helpful, she died a few days later. The heifer had a temperature that we could not lower. Have you taken her temp? Upon doing an internal exam of ours, all came up normal, no bleeding etc. A mystery. I hope your's fares better.

A temperature can mean an infection.

It happened with a horse I had. Temp meant an infection. Temperature made him not feel well. Not feeling well meant he didn't eat and horses have to eat all the time or their system shuts down. His started to shut down and he had mild colic symptoms.

Antibiotics for the infection, oil for the colic and he still wouldn't eat. But feeding him bute in a syringe he started eating immediately.

So I would say you need a vet as cows are different to horses.

Vet has us give Banamine to calves when they don't feel good and refuse to eat/nurse. He said it was like aspirin to us when we don't feel well. Anyway, it seem to work and they feel better for awhile.
Valerie
PS. When buying bottle calves, we give a shot of Vitamin B complex, makes them hungry and willing to suck bottle by the time we get them home.
Good Luck with your heifer, hope she gets better quickly

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3ax8zzge said:
You had a vet out - call him/her. Explain what is going on - be sure to take her temp FIRST. They will want that info. You're talking 5 days without eating. She WILL DIE. Call the vet.

I missed the 5 days, I agreed with Jeannie CALL THE VET!!!
Valerie