Can I turn them around?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I see a lot of post on here, that seem to be intended to brag. I guess this post is the polar opposite of that:

I've spent the day, getting things ready to start weaning my fall born calves. It's 25-30 calves, all 6-7 months old. Worst looking calf crop I believe I've ever turned out. I could blame a lot of things. 1. Bull power.....he's gone thank goodness. 2. Bad hay. 3. There off of my oldest cows. 4. Wet winter (hey, anything is better than taking the blame myself).

They are smaller than what I like to wean, and they look like what I call hard winter calves.

If I went to the yard, to buy calves I wouldn't buy these calves.

Think it would pay to worm em again, to keep them till mid June? Give em a few pounds of feed a day, and hope they hit a pound and half of gain a day. Maybe a little more on the best ones. Wgat would you do? send them down the road, and hope for brighter days?

I guess they look bad. However, there is always two sides to the coin. When I sell calves at the stockyards in Paris/Flemingsburg, I get discounted for what one of my buyer friends tells me are "too fleshy and not enough leg under them". Somewhere between us is the perfect feeder calf.

TennesseeTuxedo":1ghbbx0q said:
I've got some like that as well Bigfoot. When were yours born?

Late September early October. May be a few in there older.

I'll be glad to just get them off these cows. There sucking the life out of them, in conjunction with the hay I'm feeding. I usually feed my cows a little to, starting in February, and run til grass comes out. I didn't do that this year.

Why not sell them? Get them off the cows. Will you get the money you put into them if you hold them?

TennesseeTuxedo":29t3ip1v said:
I may put out some protein tubs.

I thought about it, but I've made so much fun of them over the years, I just couldn't make my self do it. A year like this is what they were designed for to. My free time has been sparse, and I'd be fibbing if I didn't say, that I just couldn't afford them at the moment.

Bright Raven":20flsdlp said:
Why not sell them? Get them off the cows. Will you get the money you put into them if you hold them?

If the market holds, and they gain, I should do better keeping them. Maybe even add some value.

The alternate plan, would be trailer wean them, and buy about 25 steers, and just turn them out with the cows, when they are weaned good. That ain't no bad way to go, and the gain is cheap. Hadn't done that in a good many years though. I used to all the time.

Bigfoot

Your not by yourself, this winter has been hard on cattle. Our winter pastures have finally taken off enough to let the cows on them. They look rough this year, our calves have been creep grazed but still don't have the growth as in past years. The cows just make more milk when they have good grass our hay is poor at best and the cows are showing the results of poor hay and no winter pasture. We have been time grazing them the past two weeks and already see improvement. Good grass will do wonders on your calves.

Gizmom

You need some chains your just spinning your wheels. A while back you didn't have enough hay, and then you buy more cattle, now your wanting to feed these calves out. First thing you do in the cow business is pull the calves off cows when times are tough. I can't keep up with Farmville.

I don't know why you wouldn't keep them. Grass is cheap gain, very good gains on fall calves and especially if you think you will get hammered at barn right now - seems like nobrainer.

I agree with Aaaron. If you sell yours and take a beating then replace them with more expensive steers, you'll never make up the difference. Keep your own. I'd worm 'em, wean 'em, vaccinate & implant. Put em on grass and wait. August is a strong month around here for selling calves. I also have fall calves. I try to buy enough steers of the same weight and type so that when I go to town with them, I've got enough to get buyers attention.

Since I do other more profitable things than raise cattle as my primary source of income. Like I believe most here do.
I seem to generally come out ahead by cutting loose problems and getting on to the next thing. You mentioned a sorry bull. Might not be able to feed your way outta that. I'd probably haul em and be glad their gone. Grow some grass and look forward.

Latest posts