Can I make a living off of cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Littlesalesman":1x0dy3r0 said:
What would you guys say if I worked for a big farmer like I do right now to help me start.
I would say the best thing you could do would give everything you've got into being the best employee he has ever had. If you can become his right-hand-man you will be well on your way.

Littlesalesman":dfvxyb7z said:
What would you guys say if I worked for a big farmer like I do right now to help me start.
Great idea. It used to be recommended that to start a regular business you have 7 years worth of money to live on while you got it going. If you have a job part of the money requirements are being met.

I make my living off of raising cattle and it's a good life but it's not an easy life.If you grew up with a father as a veternarian you are going to be in for a surprise as to your standard of living. If your dad has alot of money and is willing to help you get set up you will be ok IF you work hard, make sacrifices, and make smart business decisions. Both of my sons left the farm to get a college degree.
It was especially hard to see my youngest leave because he loves the lifestyle and is a good cattleman.That being said he knew that there was no way he could make it without a substantial amount of money upfront. Both of my sons are becoming RN's and my oldest should graduate in spring. I won't be able to attend his grad due to calving and I have to be around in case there are sick calves I have to deal with.I am also well aware that college isn't for everyone. Anyway, I told my youngest that if he gets a job here as a RN he will be able to have a hobby farm and have financial backing. One of the neighbor boys just became a chartered accountant and has a very nice herd of registered red angus.I think you've been given some good advice on this topic but I don't know how you could start an operation from scratch without alot of help. I know that I could'nt help my sons financaily and I'm established. Good luck , I hope this helps you .

Like I said before working on someones elses ranch for a few years is the way I would start out. Isomade and dun gave you good avice. The other person that could be a great assit to getting started is you Dad, He could be helpful in many ways.

1st thing is you have to have the fire in your gut tobe a cattlemen.2.go with your dad as much as you can an learn about other farms an ranches.raising cattle is hard work,your gonna have good an bad luck.but do not give up.pay cash for your cows if you can,because going in debt can be very tricky.

Becoming a vet to make money is probably not such a good idea, especially considering the debt you'll go into for the training. Not sure how people figure large animal vets make much, especially when they hate paying them.

I trained many years ago with a large animal vet who said he became such to make money to get a ranch. It never worked out, as he didn't make as much as hoped.

Unless you want to do cats and dogs, you might do as well as a mechanic, with alot less years of training and school expense. And more years spent earning instead of studying. And you'd be able to better fix equipment which you will need.

There are other degrees which take less time and earn more. Or if you want to spend 8 years in school, become a "real doctor" and get in on all the insurance and government money that's thrown at the system.

Or get a good government job, as the money is endless. Most people I know doing well have government jobs - plenty of pay, good benefits, regular hours, lots of time off, you can retire early and play with the cattle and land you bought.

This is assuming the country doesn't go bankrupt, but seems we can always print more money.

man that was cold......but true. Being a mechanic is awesome in my book. There are worse things you could do and I think a mechanic is worth 50 government employees.

Anyway, your 15 years old and thinking about what you want to do with your life.

You should get a standing ovation!

Thank you shaz. :D so you guys think that keeping the job i have now and keeping while growing my cattle heard is a good idea? o yea, i sold my calves today at 700 pounds for $1.45 :D

Littlesalesman":zkvo5e2d said:
Thank you shaz. :D so you guys think that keeping the job i have now and keeping while growing my cattle heard is a good idea? o yea, i sold my calves today at 700 pounds for $1.45 :D
Good job on the calves.

Littlesalesman":17bj5qvn said:

I think you found a way to beat the stock market at a young age.
I never met anyone who worked twice as hard as the average joe and didn't suceed though education makes it easier.

Thanks shaz. i also sold two cows one jersey and a shorthorn i dont know how well they did i had to go check waters. :cboy:

shaz":3ojibf9x said:
man that was cold......but true. Being a mechanic is awesome in my book. There are worse things you could do and I think a mechanic is worth 50 government employees.

Anyway, your 15 years old and thinking about what you want to do with your life.

You should get a standing ovation!

Sure the are worse things than being a mechanic, but there is nothing easy about it. Constant changes with new technology and the investment in tools makes it a ongoing process.
I have been blessed in the 28+ years that I have done it but it takes a toll on the body. It has provided well for me and allowed us to grow our farm. Would I do it again, not really sure.

Latest posts