Can I keep a bull behind a two wire electric fence?

Help Support CattleToday:

redangus

Reaction score
If there are no cows around to disturb his desires, will a two wire electric fence keep a relatively calm bull "in"?

depends on the bull, but we've done it before w/no problems. it will mainly depend on whether or not the bull respects the fence (& how hot the fence is :lol: ).

Bulls, because of their size, are better grounded than cows or calves. As long as the fence is working well and it is grounded properly with two or three rods, you should have no problems.

redangus":ooon54yx said:
If there are no cows around to disturb his desires, will a two wire electric fence keep a relatively calm bull "in"?

From my experience, keeping a bull by himself is not easy, whether it's behind electric, barbed, or other fence types. Sooner or later they want out. I've had better luck keeping them with young bulls or bred cows. Being herd animals, they seem to stay in better when they have a mate, even when the fences weren't all that great.

TXBobcat":p13dcb79 said:
redangus":p13dcb79 said:

From my experience, keeping a bull by himself is not easy, whether it's behind electric, barbed, or other fence types. Sooner or later they want out. I've had better luck keeping them with young bulls or bred cows. Being herd animals, they seem to stay in better when they have a mate, even when the fences weren't all that great.

True that.

I'll agree with the previous post.. if you can put him with a bred cow or heifer, he would be less likely to test a fence, electric or not.

Depends on the bull I had one go (had to go)through a six strand barb wire and two 5800 volt hot wires, didn't mean anything to him. Had others it was no problem. The first bull wasn't going to be by himself. After he learned to go through a fence he just didn't pay attention to them after that. He got in the neigbors pasture and whipped his Brangus , neighbor wasn't real happy.

Latest posts