Can I give away free beef?

Help Support CattleToday:

BAGTIC

Reaction score
I have a couple of cows that have been open so long that I have given up on them. I was thinking about butchering them. The problem is that my wife and I could never eat even one in a reasonable time. If I sold them and used the money to buy store beef I would probably only get a third as much, or less, meat than either cow would produce.

I understand there are prohibitions against selling beef that was not processed by USDA inspected processor. Would there be any prohibition against giving some of the meat away? There are lots of public charities and individuals including the local Senior Center, pensioners, etc. who could use some free beef. Many states let hunters donate excess venison or other game, how about meat?

There are any number of organizations thta will take the meta. You'll have to pay to have it processed though. We donate a cow or extra meat to the local abused wife & children group. Never have had a problem. You can write off your taxes both the value of the meat and the processing costs. If you talk to your local processer they'll probably be familiar with what needs be done

BAGTIC":bhquv8h3 said:
I have a couple of cows that have been open so long that I have given up on them. I was thinking about butchering them. The problem is that my wife and I could never eat even one in a reasonable time. If I sold them and used the money to buy store beef I would probably only get a third as much, or less, meat than either cow would produce.

I understand there are prohibitions against selling beef that was not processed by USDA inspected processor. Would there be any prohibition against giving some of the meat away? There are lots of public charities and individuals including the local Senior Center, pensioners, etc. who could use some free beef. Many states let hunters donate excess venison or other game, how about meat?
Don't sell them beef sell them live cattle delivered to the locker plant that you choose. They are buying live cattle at a hanging price and weight. Then they pay the locker for the custom butchering.

somn":4sdoj412 said:
Don't sell them beef sell them live cattle delivered to the locker plant that you choose. They are buying live cattle at a hanging price and weight. Then they pay the locker for the custom butchering.

That is exactly how I do it. With both hogs and beef animals. So far all parties involved have been satisfied.

The facility I use has a USDA inspector on site.

Katherine

To be on the "safer side of safe" only use a USDA/FSIS processor for any beef donations or sales. On other hand, selling "live weight" & delivering to butcher and let recipient pay for slaughtering and packaging would supposedly eliminate any problems associated with packaged meat.

On another issue:

IF a rancher had his/her been processed, packaged, with a label at a USDA/FSIS inspected processor, and then offered it for sale as frozen beef in an insulated/freeze pack container mailed USPS Priority Mail (2 day delvery), what would perceive as being the risks involved? Of course, "cooking instructions" would be supplied with each shipment, especially warnings about cooking ground beef well done to minimum of 160 deg. F.

Any opinions?

After we butcher any meat left over from the previous butchering is donated to Meals On Wheels.
Those ladies love to see us coming. Some of the elderly on their delivery list are old time ranchers who ask for a steak or a good hamburger. Makes us feel good to be able to make their day.

There is no problem in this type of donation. We do this every year for Good Samaritan Lutheran Home and S.O.S here in TX. We buy hogs from the local school shows and keep one for ourselves and the rest give them away. We also pay for all processing and kill fees. The only thing the charities have to do is pick it up and sometimes we also do that too. We have in the past given our own fed steers. Most times they ground up everything, especially the beef.

Thanks,

Matt :cboy:

We donate a half a year to the local food bank our processors donates the processing. I write off the donation on my taxes. It is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

[Spoken like a true republican[/quote]

If you're implying that Republicans are less generous than Democrats, you couldn't be more off base.

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/204/story_20419_1.html[/quote]

Van whatever you do don't start throwing around FACTS like that. It can get awfully confusing for those among us who rely soley on feelings. I won't say more, don't want to get this thread locked down.

I don't think there would be a problem. Kinda like sex, you can give it away all you want but when you go to selling it, well that's a no no.

Jogeephus":42g9pxqu said:
I don't think there would be a problem. Kinda like sex, you can give it away all you want but when you go to selling it, well that's a no no.

Hmmmmmm... is this first hand knowledge? What's the matter? Someone got offended by your hairy legs and wanted their money back? Curious minds want to know.

grannysoo":11iclo3i said:
Jogeephus":11iclo3i said:

Hmmmmmm... is this first hand knowledge? What's the matter? Someone got offended by your hairy legs and wanted their money back? Curious minds want to know.

I think it may have been the braided nasal hair that killed the deal. :lol2:

angie":hksn15yy said:
Angus/Brangus":hksn15yy said:
Why not take them to the sale barn and just buy yourself another cow?
Spoken like a true republican

Guess I AM registered to vote correctly, because I was thinking the same thing :)

By the way I donate no less than $5,000 a year to different charities and not to mention I give deer, hogs, and other wild game by the hundred weights to many local charities. And yes I pay the processing and even go and cook it alot of times.

The meat hygiene regulations require that meat the sale of which is for human consumption, must be slaughtered and inspected at an approved (USDA inspected) facility. There is more leeway in the actual processing into steaks, ground beef etc, cooked meat is covered by further regulations. The sale of live animals which are then slaughtered on farm as previously mentioned is a common way to circumvent the regulations.