Can I get cows through winter without grain?

Help Support CattleToday:

Starting late

Reaction score
Winter is fast approaching and I am trying to decide how to supplement my cows this winter. I have a couple areas of rye that I can turn them into as it grows. I would like to feed them something natural instead of corn to keep them healthy through the winter. Any suggestions?

Most definitely but it depends on your hay quality. Nothing wrong with buying cheap hay if its good quality cheap hay but it is possible to starve a cow on a full stomach if you feed them crapolla. JMO

If the hay is good enough that is all they need other than free choice mineral. The quality of the hay can be determined quickly by observation of the fecal matter. The poop test. If it stacks up like a mountain it is of low quality. If it splatts or splatters it is of high quality. It really depends on what you are feeding it to. Growing heifers more splat. Maintaining cows, a pile about 2 inches high.
Supplement with all natural protein tubs. You can usually buy a formula that best fits your needs as to energy and protein content.

I think some of my hay is pretty good stuff. My idea was to feed my worst hay early and late season and feed the better hay and or turn them out in the rye during the worst weather. I have some hay that is about 90% clover and some that is around 60% alfalfa. All is up in round bales and were sleeved with space between the bales as soon as it was rolled. Thanks for the input guys.

Normally the cows nutritional need grow right at calving and rebreeding. Give them the best hay or rye then. If you spring calve I would get the lesser hay fed first.

We don't know when your cows are calving. We don't know the body condition scores of your cows. We don't know where you are. We don't know how many acres of rye you have per cow. We don't know how much grass/stubble you have left. We don't know how much hay per cow you have. I THINK you will be more than fine with just the hay and the rye; but I don't REALLY have the information to say that with confidence. Talk to your extension nutritionist. He might be more help than we can be.

A lot depends on the quality of hay you're feeding. If the protein is not good enough, you're going to end up with some poor cows. If your protein level in the hay is low, you need to supplement with something. We use molassas in the lick tank to supplement.

And nothing wrong with some corn too!