can i feed fish to cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

steveaust

Reaction score
I have access to a free on going supply of seafood salad flakes. These comprise 70% ground up fish,20% tapioca starch,4% wheat starch,4% maize starch,2 % sugar,salt,flavour and colour.On the box it says 9% protein, i have been feeding out soy pulp just lately and they are thriving on this. cattle are dairy/beef to be sold as bullocks.

I know there has been research done on feeding fishmeal to beef cattle. If I remember right it was mixed with straw then bagged as silage. If no one has experience with it I'll go look it up if you want.

Something about it bothers me. Too much like feeding sheep offal in my way of thinking. And we know where that got us.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":21hntj38 said:
Something about it bothers me. Too much like feeding sheep offal in my way of thinking. And we know where that got us.

Craig-TX

i agree, there is something about feeding an animal to a plant eating animal that just doesnt seem fit.

jt

Cows are designed to eat grass. not fish, not sheep, not cows, grass.

For years cattle farmer have feed their cattle, feed, with ground up cattle bones in it!!! In case you don't know, that's the biggest way Mad Cow was spread. Canabalism isn't natural, but feeding one animal another animal isn't that strange. I would like to know how the cattle do on the fish stuff. I would also like to see studies about it before I started feeding it to my cattle. We use chicken fertilizer? :cboy:

Tony Jr":1am1b7zj said:
For years cattle farmer have feed their cattle, feed, with ground up cattle bones in it!!! In case you don't know, that's the biggest way Mad Cow was spread. Canabalism isn't natural, but feeding one animal another animal isn't that strange. I would like to know how the cattle do on the fish stuff. I would also like to see studies about it before I started feeding it to my cattle. We use chicken fertilizer? :cboy:

Because some do still does not make it right. I have raised cattle since the early seventies on grass.
Herbivore «HUR buh vawr», is any animal that eats chiefly plants. Herbivores are also called herbivorous animals. Animals that primarily eat the flesh of other animals are called carnivores. Those that eat both animals and plants are called omnivores. There are many kinds of herbivores. Some, such as cattle, and horses, eat grasses.
I am sticking with grass.

If the cattle eat it, like I think they will, you could write the next Hollywood Box Office smash!

After many years of feeding Herbivores meat one day you cut your hand no some barb wire. Elsie happens by, smells the blood and so the rampage ensues! MAD COWS racing through town munching on the townfolk ! :roll: Sorry could not resist .

Topic police around ? ;-)

My Dad owned a garden center when I was young,
We sold Bone meal, Blood meal & fish emolsion.
All good for grass...I wouldn't feed it to livestock.

Hillbilly

Latest posts