Can I buy cows if I have a full time job?

Help Support CattleToday:

My job keeps me away from home for a week or so every once in a while, but I have a wonderful wife that probably knows more about doctoring a sick cow than I do. Make sure you have good fences, working facilities and grass before you buy the first cow. Don't keep crazy cows no matter how good they are.

ohiosteve":34llboct said:
ga.prime":34llboct said:
hypo-chrisy":34llboct said:
Most of us have other jobs. Im a plumber
I'm a landscape reclamation architect.
I'm a brain surgeon. The only reason I came to this site was because I know most people who raise cattle are not right in the head.

Don't believe it.....
if he was he would know that most of us need a psychaitrist and not a brain surgeon..... :bang: :bang: :bang: :cboy:

For those of you who live in the real world and don't see your cows every day.....
how do you make best use of your ultrasound machine?
can you tell I am still amazed at the other thread?

seriously though....
a lot of folks have offered good advice....

However....if you have a very active social life and civic meetings and parties etc several nights a week or a spouse who is accustomed to same. Or if you like to travel and long weekend getaways, annual vacations etc.

Consider who is going to take care of the stock. There will be conflicts. neighbors will tire of watching them for you unless you give them a reason to care.

I would differ on one comment above. It does not take any more time to care for ten or twenty than it does three or four. I can feed a round bale quicker than I can load and throw small squares. there is a tipping point to justify owning a bull. Three or four is below that point. Beginners will not have the skill to sucessfully manage an AI program.

The only reason I have cattle is I like tending them and time spent with my son and 14yo GS. I had rather spend Saturday morning giving shots, cutting nuts,bush hogging, planting corn or building fences than watching a baseball game, mall walking or what else.
It's amazing the number of adults that have no idea how to physically feed their family. I feel that I'm obligated to teach my kids how to feed themselves if they ever had to. I can already see their satisfaction when a new calf hits the ground or when corn pulling time is here. My 10 yo GD loves to watch and pickup potatoes as they pop out behind the tractor.
I came from a long line of north Mississippi dirt farmers, so I guess it's in the blood.
I usually see the cows twice a day and they are 7 miles from my house.

I work full time and I usually take my vacation time and or overtime accumulated to calf out my cows. It's usually -30 celsius when I am calving and don't have a calving barn with cameras, they calve outside in the straw or in the poll shed and my luck in a three foot snow bank.... no I don't lose any to the weather, yes I lose parts of ears and even now with the weather being plus 18 down to -13 celsius in a two day period I check the cattle twice a day,,, don't need to have any of my 300lb monsters getting pneumonia. Pasture season is a little more lax which alot of guys don't kick their cows out till beginning of June around my parts but in my case I am surrounded by neighbours cattle so I have to check cattle fences all of that. Unless your hot wire is attached to a hydro line I don't care what kind of fences u have the bulls can make a mess of them. I guess I'm trying to say is that in my situation I aint much of a cowboy if I don't look after my cows and from where I live to the ponderosa is 17 miles.

[/quote]

Don't believe it.....
if he was he would know that most of us need a psychaitrist and not a brain surgeon..... :bang: :bang: :bang: :cboy:[/quote]

I am a part time psychaitrist and a full time philosopher is the reason I am here.
I have a BS, MS and Phd.

Don't believe it.....
if he was he would know that most of us need a psychaitrist and not a brain surgeon..... :bang: :bang: :bang: :cboy:[/quote]

I am a part time psychaitrist and a full time philosopher is the reason I am here.
I have a BS, MS and Phd.[/quote]

My phd needs a new U joint.

Echoing others...

Most folks have a full time job AND cattle on this board..

As has been said..cattle dont know you have a job..Ive had to run home a time or two due to a cow related problem..or a sheep problem..luckily, my boss is from a ranching family and understands..he even let me bring a day old lamb up to work to tend to him when he was having some problems..

You gotta have a full time job to raise cattle ,and if you don't raise your own beef you best get used to the taste of chicken fast. :welcome:

Latest posts