Can DNA pass from fetus to mom?

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
I have some heifers that have been exposed to two or more bulls. I'd like to know if it's possible to tell who the sire of the fetus is through a blood test?

True Grit Farms":22pk2z30 said:
I have some heifers that have been exposed to two or more bulls. I'd like to know if it's possible to tell who the sire of the fetus is through a blood test?
Yes. You can run a parentage blood test. I assume you mean postpartum. Sample the calf. The lab will need a data base that includes the DNA fingerprints of the bulls.

PS: I assume your title question is more accurately explained your text question.

Supa Dexta":2fblq8qo said:
Pretty sure he's asking to test the mothers.. Nope.

I thought that might be his question... was unsure. No. You cannot run a DNA sample on the mother and identify the sire of the feutus she carries.

Bright Raven":1r1o843b said:
Supa Dexta":1r1o843b said:

I thought that might be his question... was unsure. No. You cannot run a DNA sample on the mother and identify the sire of the feutus she carries.
That's exactly what I was wanting to know. That's why I used fetus and not calf. Sure would be nice if you could.

True Grit Farms":35fpzvtv said:
Bright Raven":35fpzvtv said:
Supa Dexta":35fpzvtv said:

That's exactly what I was wanting to know. That's why I used fetus and not calf. Sure would be nice if you could.

Why do you need to know before the calf born?

Bright Raven":17pib1rc said:
True Grit Farms":17pib1rc said:
Bright Raven":17pib1rc said:

Why do you need to know before the calf born?
I feel the heifers would bring a few more dollars if I knew who the father was instead of guessing. I have sell all my heifers bred private treaty off the farm or at breeders sales.

Short answer is no as has already been said.. but just for sheets and giggles.......
I think it 'may' be able to be done, perhaps only on a theoretic or deep research level, but not just anywhere and probably not cheaply or easily.
Cells do pass the placenta from fetus to mother and these cells can change the mother's genetic makeup..over time. Might even have to be done using certain brain cells from the mother, as research has shown that these cells are capable of crossing the blood/brain barrier. The cells that cross from fetus to mother thru the placenta are talked about here:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... 180956493/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchimerism

GB those links you gave reference humans, it may be a lot different in cattle as the placenta is not as close to the maternal lining as in humans and primates. It is a long time since I have had to think about this but my recollection is that in primates the maternal blood virtually bathes the placenta allowing cells to cross over and also antibodies and hence those autoimmune type conditions where maternal antibodies can develop against the foetal rbc. In ruminants and horses the antibodies can't cross over and don't affect until after birth and the maternal ab in the colostrum are consumed. I am a bit hazy on this but a sharp research mind like Ron's might throw some light.

Ken

wbvs58":1e40qyvs said:
GB those links you gave reference humans, it may be a lot different in cattle as the placenta is not as close to the maternal lining as in humans and primates. It is a long time since I have had to think about this but my recollection is that in primates the maternal blood virtually bathes the placenta allowing cells to cross over and also antibodies and hence those autoimmune type conditions where maternal antibodies can develop against the foetal rbc. In ruminants and horses the antibodies can't cross over and don't affect until after birth and the maternal ab in the colostrum are consumed. I am a bit hazy on this but a sharp research mind like Ron's might throw some light.

Ken

I remember about the same as you. It even crossed my mind when Grit ask. I would just wrap it up by saying there is no conventional method.

wbvs58":ae411n24 said:

Ken
Shows just how much I am able to comprehend but it seems I had read a few months (years?) ago that research had shown it also happened in mice. Anyway, the ? was already answered.

greybeard":1gicxltl said:
wbvs58":1gicxltl said:

Ken
Shows just how much I am able to comprehend but it seems I had read a few months (years?) ago that research had shown it also happened in mice. Anyway, the ? was already answered.

You are well read GB, a lot more than I am these days. It is interesting to have a bit of side information.

Ken

I think you MIGHT be able to but it would be really difficult.. probably could get a blood sample from the fetus if you were determined enough and had the equipment

Nesikep":j6aazaby said:
I think you MIGHT be able to but it would be really difficult.. probably could get a blood sample from the fetus if you were determined enough and had the equipment

No question about that, Nesikep. You could even take a tissue sample of the fetus. But the expense and risk are not worth the few extra dollars that True Grit would gain. He would also need to submit samples on the two bulls if their DNA profiles are not on record.