Can cows have seasonal allergies?

Help Support CattleToday:

CG1

Reaction score
I have a steer that is slow to food and has runny and slightly red eyes. Just seems a bit under the weather.

Debating calling a vet for him but wondering if seasonal allergies are a possibility. Sure looks like it. I don't think its contagious as he's in a herd of 20 and no other cows have these symptoms.

He's also older (5) and overweight.

I've got certain ones that tear more than others this time of year. Do you put anything on them for flies? Flies will aggravate them and cause them to tear more sometimes. Has it been real hot there? My black ones have a lot harder time with the heat this time of year, and move slower. I'd saying his color and being overweight might really make the heat take more of a toll on him.

A.J. said:
I've got certain ones that tear more than others this time of year. Do you put anything on them for flies? Flies will aggravate them and cause them to tear more sometimes. Has it been real hot there? My black ones have a lot harder time with the heat this time of year, and move slower. I'd saying his color and being overweight might really make the heat take more of a toll on him.

I do use fly spray. His flies are actually not bad right now even though that picture may make it seem so. It hasn't been really hot here no and flies are actually ok so far. I will spray him again.

Maybe just his weight. He's a shorthorn x angus so he does have a bit of a longer coat then the rest of my herd. I am going to move him in a few months so I can control his feed better.

Allergic rhinitis is an uncommon disease of cattle that, when chronic, may lead to granuloma formation. The etiology is an allergic reaction to pollen or fungal spores. Signs are seasonal and occur under warm, moist conditions; they include rhinorrhea, sneezing, and a sudden onset of dyspnea. In the chronic stage, multiple granulomas may form on the mucosal surface of the nasal cavity. Cytologic examination of nasal discharges may reveal eosinophils. Treatment should focus on removing the allergen or removing the animal from the allergen. Treatment with corticosteroids to block the hypersensitivity reaction is a consideration.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/

I've had cows and calves alike I thought had allergies. My wife thought our children had allergies, until I convinced her we just couldn't afford em.

I have a few cows that tear up when allergy season gets bad (same as me!) and look a lot like your big boy. I'm not concerned about a few flies around his eyes - it's not possible for them to be 100% fly free this time of year. Maybe a waste of good money but I spray them with Vetericyn and it seems to help ease the discomfort/lubricate the eyes.

No judgment on your 5 year old steer - my BFF has Norm, now almost 9 and essentially nothing more than yard art but a fixture at their ranch :)

TCRanch said:
I have a few cows that tear up when allergy season gets bad (same as me!) and look a lot like your big boy. I'm not concerned about a few flies around his eyes - it's not possible for them to be 100% fly free this time of year. Maybe a waste of good money but I spray them with Vetericyn and it seems to help ease the discomfort/lubricate the eyes.

No judgment on your 5 year old steer - my BFF has Norm, now almost 9 and essentially nothing more than yard art but a fixture at their ranch :)

I posted this question on another board and everyone (mainly horse girls) just kept going back to the flies. Personally I think that is not a fly issue! You are right, even with spray there will be 1 or 2. Not a big deal. Flies and cows are just a package deal.

This cow earned his place after a series of unfortunate events. I am a advocate first and a farmer second. Some people on this board have a problem with that but that's their own insecurity.

cowgal604 said:
TCRanch said:

I posted this question on another board and everyone (mainly horse girls) just kept going back to the flies. Personally I think that is not a fly issue! You are right, even with spray there will be 1 or 2. Not a big deal. Flies and cows are just a package deal.

This cow earned his place after a series of unfortunate events. I am a advocate first and a farmer second. Some people on this board have a problem with that but that's their own insecurity.

You know your cattle and they're well cared for. I'd just watch him, make sure it doesn't get any worse. If it starts getting crusty or he's keeping it halfway shut I'd lean towards pinkeye - but I wouldn't immediately throw antibiotics at him unless you start to see a white spot. It's also possible he has something in it. Again, I'd flush with Vetericyn, see if it helps.

In my world, why you have cattle - or a steer - is nobody's business but your own.

cowgal604 said:
I have a steer that is slow to food and has runny and slightly red eyes. Just seems a bit under the weather.

Debating calling a vet for him but wondering if seasonal allergies are a possibility. Sure looks like it. I don't think its contagious as he's in a herd of 20 and no other cows have these symptoms.

I am just curious why you have a 5 year old steer?......unless he is just a pet which is ok.

Banjo said:
cowgal604 said:

I am just curious why you have a 5 year old steer?......unless he is just a pet which is ok.

Yup he is just a lawn ornament. His dam died a terrible death and he was a very sickly calf. Wasn't supposed to survive and when he did we just didn't have the heart to send him. He actually though makes a big impact on our herd. Ever since we start putting him in with our breeding herd the calves started being much easier to deal with. His friendly nature rubs off on all of them.

cowgal604 said:

i read on web site cows can have allergies , but idk if the allergy may be seasonal

cowgal604 said:

Latest posts