can cows eat mushrooms

Help Support CattleToday:

jerseygirl43

Reaction score
Hi
I am new to this forum but, I wanted to know if cows are allowed to have mushrooms? I let my cow out in the yard and she kept eating all of the mushrooms. I tried to pull her away from them but, she did get to some of them and I want to know if this will make her sick?
Thanks,

Probably is going to depend on the kind of mushroom. Cows are smarter when it comes to eating than most folks give them credit for.

There are some of them things you can eat that will give you a trip without ever leaving the farm....

Welcome to the forum.

It's common for cows to eat mushrooms. Haven't seen a problem. I doubt if a cow will eat the bad ones unless she happens to be hungry with no other options for feed.

jerseygirl43":3sop7ae0 said:
Hi
I am new to this forum but, I wanted to know if cows are allowed to have mushrooms? I let my cow out in the yard and she kept eating all of the mushrooms. I tried to pull her away from them but, she did get to some of them and I want to know if this will make her sick?
Thanks,

If she is still alive it is ok - if she dies she ate the wrong ones 8)

Give the cow some slack - they do not just eat grass

Millions of cows in North America - most fend for them selves quite nicely in pastures thousands of acres bigger than your yard - I would imagine at least one cow elsewhere has eaten a mushroom

They eat grass, leaves, vines, thistles, flowers, tree branches and anything else that they might fancy.

You cannot watch them 24/7

Bez+

If it was bad for her, she probably wouldn't have eaten it, or if it tasted bad, she'd spit it out. :welcome:

Although the rumen is sensitive to complete changes in diet due to the 'bugs' that live in their gut (hence why you need to graduate a change in diet), when it comes to WHAT they can ingest their stomach is actually pretty hardy. I've seen cattle eat most things. Our steers used to eat eucalyptus leaves and my poddy (bottle baby) would eat what ever was going, salt and vinegar chips, passion fruit, apples, peanut butter sandwiches... the list goes on. Cattle are also grazers and foragers so if they don't like the smell or taste of something they won't eat it.