Can cottonseeds harm bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi, we live in Alabama, and supplement cotton seed to the hay in winter time. Now a friend told us that cotton seeds are bad for the bull as it makes them sterile. Is this true? Our Vet told us cotton seeds are a great nutritional supplement.

[email protected]

> Hi, we live in Alabama, and
> supplement cotton seed to the hay
> in winter time. Now a friend told
> us that cotton seeds are bad for
> the bull as it makes them sterile.
> Is this true? Our Vet told us
> cotton seeds are a great
> nutritional supplement.

I am certainly no expert in this matter but as I recall cotton seed does contain a chemical that when fed in large amounts to breeding bulls could cause them to go sterile for a short time. I don't think feeding a few pounds could cause a problem, but feeding them free choice without a limitor might.

You may wish to ask your vet this question regarding your breeding bull. His comment was on target for cows or younger animals.

[email protected]

> Hi, we live in Alabama, and
> supplement cotton seed to the hay
> in winter time. Now a friend told
> us that cotton seeds are bad for
> the bull as it makes them sterile.
> Is this true? Our Vet told us
> cotton seeds are a great
> nutritional supplement. If this is true I'm in trouble. I love feeding cottenseed hulls to my show cattle for bulk in my rations. I've done this for several years now and to my knowledge none of my bulls were sterile because of feeding this to them.

[email protected]

> Not at all. Cottonseed has been
> used for eons as a great
> nutritional sup. for cattle in
> general.

We were told to be careful of cottonseed MEAL.It is apparently the quantity that can do a little damage.

[email protected]

Latest posts