Can cattle have expired milk powder?

Help Support CattleToday:

CatTeethL8

Reaction score
I have a downed heifer that needs some extra nutritions. I was wondering if cattle can have expired milk powder? I will honestly be happy if anyone replies.

Sounds like a good case for your vet. If this hfr is down and can not stand then there is something more wrong than what milk replacer can fix.
How old is this hfr?
Where is she located? Out on grass, dirt lot, concrete lot.
What had she been eating? Fresh green grass, hay, corn, distillers grains, wheat pasture.
When was she wormed last?
Does she have a fever?

If I was treating this hfr, I would lean heavy on the therapeutics. If she doesn't have a fever then I wouldn't give her an antibiotic. But I would throw a barrage of other stuff at her. Multi-min90, Vit AD&E, Vit B, Thiamine, Bannamine, IV glucose/dextrose.
If you have access to a stomach tube and pump, you could give her bluelite, propylene glycol, and warm water.

Please give us some more details. Good Luck.

If this heifer has been weaned a while, the milk will do more harm than good. Cattle lose the ability to digest lactose as they age, and the milk will sour and acidify the rumen if you give her very much. Beside that, the fats in milk powder can become rancid with age and the vitamins degrade, so I wouldn't feed expired powder to anything.

There are plenty of oral supplements that can be given to help a cow out; give your vet a call.

Where are you ?

Summer or winter ?

Why you wanting to feed milk ? And how long has it past use by, if the heifer is used to milk and it is only just out, it wont hurt.

If it is not usually on milk, you need to keep hydrated & find out what is going on so you can plan what is needed exactly...

Will the heifer eat normal feed and drink water ?

Latest posts