Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin

Reaction score
Can cattle get AIDS?

Here is my questions of the week.
What do you know about AIDS?
Can cattle get AIDS?

SL

There is a bovine immunodeficiency virus(BIV) and other retroviruses which infect cattle - like bovine leukosis virus(BLV). BIV infection in cattle can result in a complex of clinical syndromes that are comparable to AIDS in humans infected with HIV.

Now, if your question was intended to mean, "Can cattle be infected with, or transmit, human immunodeficiency virus(HIV)", the answer is "No." Retroviruses are quite species-specific, and HIV cannot infect or replicate in bovine animals.

But, since you asked "Can cattle get AIDS(acquired immunodeficiency syndrome), the answer is, "Yes."

Lucky_P

God post- Thanks

Re:
There is a bovine immunodeficiency virus(BIV) and other retroviruses which infect cattle - like bovine leukosis virus(BLV). BIV infection in cattle can result in a complex of clinical syndromes that are comparable to AIDS in humans infected with HIV.
No problem there, I agree.
Q. Is AIDS in humans curable?
Q. Can immunodeficiency in humans be reversed? (cured ) Or is it a life time condition?

[quote But, since you asked "Can cattle get AIDS(acquired immunodeficiency syndrome), the answer is, "Yes."
I totally agree.

Now the question is:
Q. Is, acquired immunodeficiency syndrome curable in cattle?
Q. Can immunodeficiency in cattle be reversed? (cured ) Or is it a life time condition?

SL

I am only guessing here but if it hasn't been "cured" in people with the rivers of money that have been thrown at it it will be a long time before it would evn be considered for a "cure" in cattle.

Now Sir Loin I have a question for you. How do you propose that it would migrate across species to cattle...........? There is little or no transfer of fluids from humans to cattle is there not?

3waycross

Hold on a little while untill Lucky_P responds to my previous post asI don't want to take this discussion down the wrong road yet.
Thanks

SL

HD,
Re:
they are close to finding a cure for feline AIDS .
That only means they need more Federal grant money to do more research.
At appropriation time every Tom, Dick and Harry is close to finding a cure for what ever project they are working on. And they come back year after year after year with the same story.

SL

3waycross":uzhjthwh said:
I am only guessing here but if it hasn't been "cured" in people with the rivers of money that have been thrown at it it will be a long time before it would evn be considered for a "cure" in cattle.

Now Sir Loin I have a question for you. How do you propose that it would migrate across species to cattle...........? There is little or no transfer of fluids from humans to cattle is there not?
hmmmm...3 way do you reckon??? :?: The AIDS virus dies within minutes of being exposed to oxygen to we can't have that happen.

I'm unaware of anyone doing any significant work with BIV, though there may be a researcher somewhere who is.
I'm in the diagnostic medicine field, and I don't know of anyone who's even doing any sort of testing for BIV. BLV, yes, but not BIV. I have a suspicion that if we were routinely testing, we might find that some of those BLV-positive animals are also BIV positive - especially the 5-10% that eventually develop leukemia or lymphosarcoma.

My opinion would be - No, BIV infection cannot be cured, infection would be lifelong, and if a bovine developed an AIDS-like syndrome, I suppose that it's possible that you could treat them and gain some short-term remission of some symptoms - but it would not likely be an economically feasible undertaking, and would just be a stopgap measure, with the animal declining and dying at some point in the not-to-distant future.
Gene therapy like what the folks playing with the 'glow-in-the dark cats' are proposing is 'magic in a box' to me - I'm an old 'dinosaur', and have no understanding of how it works(if it does).

Lucky_P

Boy with all your book learnen and out combined experiences, we should be able to at least reach a logical conclusion together.

Youstated:
Can cattle get AIDS(acquired immunodeficiency syndrome), the answer is, "Yes."
OK, we are in total agreement and that is exactly what I was looking for, NOT if cattle can contract the HIV virus..
Now we are both saying the same thing. You call it "(acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) an I call it a " compromised immune system.", Same thing!

Q. Can a "acquired immunodeficiency syndrome", AKA a " compromised immune system." be reversed, or is it now a life time affliction as we know AIDS caused by the HIV virus can not ?
SL
PS Please give it a KISS as I would like for the beginners on here to be able to understand it also. Thanks

SL,
I see that I have to keep it extremely simple, if only for you.
Logical conclusions require some modicum of understanding.

Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome is NOT the same as a compromised immune system.

AIDS cannot be reversed. By definition, it is an incurable complex of diseases which occur due to infection with one of the immunodeficiency viruses. Treatments for the various maladies that comprise the syndrome, like yeast infections, cryptosporidiosis, etc., may be treated to prolong the life of the AIDS patient, but AIDS patients(whether human, cattle, feline, etc.) will eventually succumb to some aspect of the syndrome which is caused by HIV killing off entire populations of lymphocytes which are ordinarily involved in fighting and preventing disease.

A 'compromised immune system', as you term it, may be a temporary condition, caused by various stressors, infectious disease, malnutrition, environment/climate, stage of production, etc., and can potentially be reversed or returned to normal function.

I don't know what you're trying to get at other than just being argumentative.

Lucky_P

Re:
Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome is NOT the same as a compromised immune system.
OK, no problem. Here in after I will use "Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome" here in after: AIDS. ( not to be confused with AIDS caused by the HIV virus )

Re:
AIDS cannot be reversed. By definition, it is an incurable complex of diseases which occur due to infection with one of the immunodeficiency viruses.
Q. Can AIDS be caused by other then a virus?
Example: toxic poisoning such as mycetism. (Mushroom poisoning )
SL

Lucky_P

Re:
A 'compromised immune system', as you term it, may be a temporary condition, caused by various stressors, infectious disease, malnutrition, environment/climate, stage of production, etc., and can potentially be reversed or returned to normal function.
OK.
How would you describe, or is there a term to describe, that represents a condition that is not reversible but not necessarily result in death.
Such as arsenic poisoning that does not kill but does incapacitates for the remainder of life?
SL