Can calves get rain scald/rot?

Help Support CattleToday:

bobragin

Reaction score
I have an orphan calf that I have been bottle feeding. It has been raining here in OK almost daily for over a month. I have seen rain scald in horses. Can cattle get rain scald? I am unable to find information that they can on the internet or my books. This calf has the same appearance I have seen on horses. First the fur on his back line started coming off in clumps, now he is developing scabs and red bumps on the skin. It is very painful to him. It is only on top of his back so far. The only other thing I can think of is Mites, but none of my other cows or calves have any of these symptoms. What treatement do you reccommend?

Thanks for the quick relply. I am fairly new to cows. I have raised horses all my life though, so am mostly familiar with most equine diseases. I have seen ringworm several times, and this is definately not ringworm. I am leaning more towards mites, if it is true that cattle cannot get rain scald. One more thing of significance. This is a Charlai calf. White fur. He seemed to get sunburned before the continuing rain. Maybe the rain scald bacteria had an environment to easily grow, since it was already inflamed. The calf is in a field with horses, which might be where he could pick up the baceria. In any case, I will try the beta scrub wash in case it is a fungus. If no results, will try the ivermetin pour on for mites. Thanks for the reading recs. Bob

talk about a lot of rain in Oklahoma. I am sitting here watching a frog walk back and forth across the glass of my house window eating bugs.

bobragin":2ts3ufl8 said:
Thanks for the quick relply. I am fairly new to cows. I have raised horses all my life though, so am mostly familiar with most equine diseases. I have seen ringworm several times, and this is definately not ringworm. I am leaning more towards mites, if it is true that cattle cannot get rain scald. One more thing of significance. This is a Charlai calf. White fur. He seemed to get sunburned before the continuing rain. Maybe the rain scald bacteria had an environment to easily grow, since it was already inflamed. The calf is in a field with horses, which might be where he could pick up the baceria. In any case, I will try the beta scrub wash in case it is a fungus. If no results, will try the ivermetin pour on for mites. Thanks for the reading recs. Bob

Yes Cows can get rain scald/rot. I have had several cows get it.

It is raised bumps on the body which peel spread and have a gooy inflammed skin underneath.

Latest posts