"can be registered".....

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Ad in the local paper for AI bred heifers, and it says "some can be registered", what does that entail when they are at this age?

"Can be registered" usually means the sire and dam are registered; and, the seller has not bothered to register them. Register with breed association for that breed. Not sure the cost for registering other breeds; however, registering Longhorns is $15. for either ITLA or TLBAA associations if you register within one year of age. If you purchase non-registered animals, the seller must provide you with the required paperwork as "breeder" and owner of dam at time of service. Hope this helps.

In the hereford Association the price of the registration is determined by the age of the animal. And then you will have to buy an AI certificate for their sire. The certs range anywhere from $40 - $100. The seller should pick up that cost if you want them registered.

If you know what breed they are then you can call the breed association and find out what it will cost you to register them.

He has raised them as a comercial herd.
He is just trying to indicate that some of the cows this group is out of are registered cattle.
If you are a commercial cattleman the papers wouldn't be worth a nichel.
IMO

Hillbilly

Next question...I called the seller of the 98 hd. he said I have to buy all or none, I cannot pick out a couple heifers. What is with that attitude?

Anonymous":2qxtytbk said:
Next question...I called the seller of the 98 hd. he said I have to buy all or none, I cannot pick out a couple heifers. What is with that attitude?
He wants to sell all without having to bring them in each each time someone wants to pick and sort and have the others worked up and getting excited each time.

If you want to buy 1-5 hd. go to a sale barn.
Go to a small sale barn or you will wind up in the same spot.

Hillbilly

la4angus":189pvgej said:
Anonymous":189pvgej said:
He wants to sell all without having to bring them in each each time someone wants to pick and sort and have the others worked up and getting excited each time.

Tell the seller to take a hike. Look elsewhere for what you really want and need. LOL.

Running Arrow Bill":1orgs8im said:
la4angus":1orgs8im said:
Anonymous":1orgs8im said:

Tell the seller to take a hike. Look elsewhere for what you really want and need. LOL.

There are alwasy a couple of ways of looking at this situation. He doesn't want to mess with the cows for just a couple, or he wants to unload the whole bunch because there may be some serious dogs in the bunch and he doesn't want to be stuck with them. If the cream gets skimmed, it's possible that even his average cows that may be pretty good woudln't have a market.
But I agree with the others. Find another source.

dun

Anonymous":xcog69ee said:
Ad in the local paper for AI bred heifers, and it says "some can be registered", what does that entail when they are at this age?

In addition to the costs mentioned by others, you'll likely to have to join the breed association to register cattle. IMO, if you're looking for commercial cattle, continue to look elsewhere. If you're wanting to buy a a couple of registered heifers and test the registered cow market, buy from someone who registers their animals and can tell you about bloodlines, etc. Good luck....

I had the same problem looking for my first heifer. I had one man tell me he doesn't want someone to pick the best from the herd and leave the rest. I'd like to hope all the cattle i am selling are the best I can do. Perhaps if you are looking for just one or two, let the seller know your intentions, as I did. I told them I wanted just one as a "pet" so I would have ample time to devote to my animal. I got my one with an agreement from the man to buy another next year. There are a few private treaty sales coming up that have pairs, bred heifers, and weaned heifers. Look for catalogs for these sales, you should be able to get just one there. Angus .org has sales listed on their website. Good luck starting your herd!

When buying one or more "commercial" type cattle, might be better to buy from someone with registered stock. Then, EACH animal has a price rather than some or all of the animals at per pound...etc.

My experience with registered sales is that nearly every breeder will sell one or more of any of their cattle. Of course, the "best" ones (you'd like to keep) are priced higher than the others. As they say, everything and every person has their price...aka..."Make Him An Offer He Can't Refuse"...but no violence, ok...LOL.

Latest posts