Can anyone tell me whats wrong with this calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

cathys

Reaction score
I have a 7/8 week old holstien bull calf that has been doing great, he is on grain, hay and water and was gaining weight, bouncing around his pen and happy as could be then Friday am I went out to feed and he was laying outside his hutch in the sun (on top of the melting snow) and I tried to coax him up to eat, he tried to get up and fell over, I tried to help him up but he was to heavy for me. My hubby climbed in and the calf tried again to get up but fell over at that point hubby caught him and balanced him untill he got his footing, he then walked and ate, drank and walked around more. I checked his feet and the sole of them are soft and spongy and are peeling. Since then, every morning and evening we have to help him to a standing position and then he walks around and eats and drinks, but he is thin now. He is not scouring, and his appitite is good. Any suggestions what this could be?? And how to treat? I called the vet (don't care for him much he has a "its only a calf" attitude ) and he said maybe the calf froze his feet, or maybe navel infection. He shows no sign of navel but I have treated him with Baytril and Polyflex for 2 days, also gave him Bo-Se on vets recomendation. Any input from you experts is greatly appriciated. Thanks Cathy

Well, I am going out on a limb.

If you wait long enough you will get the whole gammet - what is his feed quality, what is his temp, what is skin quality, how is his breathing, lots of questions on his feet - anti biotics for infection, is he defecating and urinating and so on.

But - you do not like your vet.

Sounds to me like this animal has not been seen by a veterinarian, it has only been "discussed" on the telephone.

A physical examination is in order.

So, get a second opinion.

If there is no other veterinarian near by and this calf is worth saving put him in the pick up and go for a drive.

If he is worth saving - otherwise it sounds like he is on his way down.

The other side of the coin is you can put too much into this guy and never get your cash back - bullet is cheap in that case - but only you can make that decision.

I have a PERSONAL LIMIT OF 50 BUCKS PER CALF. And it better be truly improving as I get over 30 bucks or I get an itchy trigger finger.

Lots of opinions on this board and some are darned good - but unless someone actually sees the animal or is a no kidding animal doc - I suggest you get that second opinion. Soon.

One other thing Cathy - I never use Bo-Se. In my part of the world it has to come from the veterinarian - I like over the counter stuff if at all possible. May be different where you are.

I use a straight selenium shot and vitamin shot - cheaper and does as good a job in my opinion - you will find the board response is Bo-Se is a wonder drug. It may be - but it costs more.

No matter what you do - do it soon and good luck.

Bez>

Bez>":3katfp2x said:
Well, I am going out on a limb.
Not from my point of view.....

If there is no other veterinarian near by and this calf is worth saving put him in the pick up and go for a drive.

Agreed

is a no kidding animal doc
Bez>

And I am....and I agree. Someone has to see this calf. Selenium toxicity can also cause painful feet. Please have a competant vet check this calf if you want to continue to treat him!

And, Good Luck
V

Latest posts