can anyone identify this waterfowl-Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Pictures aren't very good but it was about 200yards off and I don't have much zoom on my camera. There has been a pair of these come in most mornings and land out near the pond and appear to be eating seedhead off bahia grass. Light colored neck, wingtips are white or light grey. A fairly large bird, bigger than a wood duck for sure. I have never seen wild geese here in all the years I have been here but they look more like a goose of some kind than a duck.

Second pic. almost looks like a pintail ??
maybe some kind of a Brant?? it is hard to see them very well

Yep--crappy pics. I don't know anything about waterfowl except wood ducks and these definitely aren't wood ducks or anything I've ever seen here before. In flight, came right over the top of my house the 2nd time I saw them. Wing tip to wing tip looked close to 3' accross.

Whatever they were, they have returned, and this time closer to the house.

Always a pair of them and only 1 pair. ??

And, these have returned this year, as they have for the last 4 years. A sure sign of spring, tho I will have to remove this nest since it's under the ceiling of the back porch and sure to make a mess. I don't mind them up on the top eaves of the house as I like to watch their acrobatics, but there is a limit to what I will accept.

If you watch close as soon as they hatch they will walk the little ones a good distance sometimes. I had a pair of wood ducks that nested in a hollow in the big pecan tree for yrs . it was about 30' off the ground those little one would bounce when the hit the ground. the male would get off in the yard and draw the cats away from where they landed and the hen would lead them off .

I would say Mexican whistling duck as well. They have moved in around here. They fly slower than other ducks, almost like a goose.

Well...must be spring for sure now. they have returned and this time I have better pics. (hopefully these pictures don't disappear like the last ones did.)
They make a honking noise too.

kenny thomas said:
Looks like a goose to me. Maybe they are eating fire ants.
They better bring reinforcements if that's the case. Wet weather has brought fire ants out in droves this year.

Latest posts